Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #1  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Seeerrrriously need some help.

I keep coming on here and saying i'm baaaack and then I never follow through.

I have the hardest time staying motivated. I'm REALLY tired of being overweight... having been at nearly the same weight for over a year now! I need some help, advice, a swift kick in the asstibula. Something.

I think the hardest part is knowing that I have a toddler that I'm teaching my bad habits to, and I don't want her to be this miserable ever. I need help to change this. I think I'm not very honest with myself. I don't know. I have tried food journaling, calorie counting, working out, and that WORKED great for a few weeks but I burn out on those things really fast. I need something that WORKS without burning me out.

Help me ladies. Help. Me. Please.
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #2  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

i'm not sure you want to hear this... but nothing works without feeling a burn out at some point... we all get fed up with counting calories, WW points, other programs and then we work through those phases and move on.

the thing is, there is no magical answer or pill that will get us motivated and keep us that way. it's down to each one of us individually. there are plenty of mom's to toddlers here that make it through those moments. There are other people who have other challenges who make it through those moments. You have to accept that the way to do this is by doing all those things you mentioned that worked for you and doing it consistently.

What's the alternative? You can just keep coming back and keep starting over, but wouldn't it be great to just do it and then when you are in the burn out phase to come here, tell everyone and let us help you get through it?
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:49 AM   #3  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

Maybe sign up for a huge goal event - like a 1/2 marathon or something. But a year from now. and then sign up for a few 5k's, 10's etc inbetween now and then. You'll HAVE to eat healthier to be in shape to complete the race.
One thing I found to be the most helpful was having my fiance join WW with me. He doesn't even really need to at ALL, but he wanted to be supportive of me. And he went from being the guy who could eat a whole large pizza, an order of buffalo wings and breadsticks on his own (and not gain weight) to LOVING WW. It's so cute. But it's helped me me most that we changed all the food in the apt and we eat healthy together. Getting friends/family on the health kick will help a lot!
Good luck!
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #4  

Height: 4'11"

Maybe you're trying to change too much to fast. Why not try tracking everything you eat for a few days, then going back and seeing what small changes you could make that you're willing to make permanent. I think it's best to make changes you're willing to live with forever, otherwise they won't last.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Renee said it all , I can't improve on her suggestions.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #6  
I know I can do it.

you girls are awesome.

velveteen- whether i want to hear it or not, SAY IT. haha i appreciate it.

and you're right- i don't want to keep starting over again and again and again (i'm burned out on THAT!!)

well ladies, i'm going to do it a little at a time like you suggested and set daily goals for myself. i'll stick to these boards like glue for the support i need to stay motivated! and i really think being here and helping other people and feeling accountable to someone other than myself makes a huge difference so i just need to stick that out.

sigh. weightloss is one of the crappiest journeys ever, am i right? but the destination is pretty damn worth it. i just need to remind myself of that... maybe i'll put it in my signature! haha
Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velveteen View Post
i'm not sure you want to hear this... but nothing works without feeling a burn out at some point... we all get fed up with counting calories, WW points, other programs and then we work through those phases and move on.

the thing is, there is no magical answer or pill that will get us motivated and keep us that way. it's down to each one of us individually. there are plenty of mom's to toddlers here that make it through those moments. There are other people who have other challenges who make it through those moments. You have to accept that the way to do this is by doing all those things you mentioned that worked for you and doing it consistently.

What's the alternative? You can just keep coming back and keep starting over, but wouldn't it be great to just do it and then when you are in the burn out phase to come here, tell everyone and let us help you get through it?
I agree with Renee. Very good post, and I really like the part in bold.
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcar05 View Post
weightloss is one of the crappiest journeys ever, am i right?
No. There are many, many, many journeys that are much, much, much more difficult.

That being said, this journey is what you make of it. YOU control whether it is joyful or "crappy". YOU. No one else. For me, this has been a joyous journey - and I'm thankful for each and every day of it!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #9  
I know I can do it.

I know what you're saying Counting Down, i hope I don't give the impression that it isn't a great thing to be losing weight and doing it cheerfully. I have been trying to lose this weight for over a year now, and it has been one of the biggest challenges for me because it impacts so many other facets of my life.

I don't plan on losing weight with a frown on, trust me I've learned the importance of optimism. But that's the thing- I've accepted that losing weight, at least for me, is not easy and it's HARD. But the goal is what's worth it so it makes wading through all this crappy time okay and worth facing with optimism and hope that it'll be worth it. The first few weeks of "weightloss" are always the hardest for me, once I get the ball rolling it is a much happier occasion.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

It is hard. Very, very hard. And the goal is worth it! I've just seen too many chickies around here that let hard turn into something else. Instead of celebrating and learning from "hard", they mourn and mope and complain and dream of the day that they can stop staying on plan.

I know that isn't you carcar, but if I can give one piece of advice to those starting this journey, is that this is a journey and it can be fun and insightful and joyous. Attitude is a choice.

Hang in there, it DOES get easier (not easy - just easier). And, once that scale starts moving, there are many milestones to celebrate

You CAN do this! We will be for ya!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote