Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2009, 01:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default do you ever forget....

In all the craziness of life, do you ever forget for a time, and think "it's all about calories and pounds lost on the scale??"

I admit more lately I've been focused on the "calories and pounds on the scale" and then today, I had a very light workout - not by choice, but simply because my body decided how much energy I had to spare at the gym.

After weeks of rain, it has been lovely weather today and I went home, smelling the roses, and enjoyed my dinner/dessert-- thinking it's fuel, not simply calories in and out (although I did pre-plan my meal beforehand!) I'm also enjoying the very small changes I can feel now in my muscles I'm developing from the gym!

Sure, I may go back to the "calories in & out and pounds lost on the scale" mentality tomorrow or the next day... but it sure was nice to take a mental break from that for tonight!

Eh, it's human nature to keep working on our imperfections!

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 05-10-2009 at 01:25 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

I think I know what you mean. This whole weight-loss thing seems to be forefront on my mind and everything I put into my mouth (or even consider!), I think about the calories and whether or not I can afford it. This afternoon was a nice day so I decided to mow the lawn. I hit a lilac bush and the mower quit, so there I was with my socket set, taking apart the mower by the lilac hedge in the late afternoon sun. The lilacs were full of bumblebees so I could hear them buzzing noisily around, smell the lilacs and the gas from the mower, and for a little while I just forgot the whole weight loss, calories in and out thing. It was kind of nice.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
do you ever forget for a time, and think "it's all about calories and pounds lost on the scale??
Yes and no. But truth be told, I don't ever WANT to forget. Forgetting, not thinking and caring about my calories consumed got me into lots of trouble. Over 20+ years worth. That's a lot of wasted time. The time I spend now considering my calories is very productive and very well spent.

I don't find it a burden or a chore or a hardship to be mindful and careful about the calories that I'm putting into my BODY. As it results in my good health, happiness and well being. I am careful and mindful about most things in my life that enhance it (my money, friends, family, work, household responsibilities) - and food is just one of them for me.

But here's the thing - what I do now, how I eat is just so automatic to me. I barely think about how many calories they have in them. It's all been thought out for me months ago, heck even years ago. I've got meals and snacks that I LOVE. Lots of them. I switch them around as they all have interchangeable similar numbers.

From day one of my journey, even prior to it, as I was in the planning throes of it, I knew a big key to success was going to be that I MUST enjoy the food that I'm eating. So for me, food can never, ever be "just fuel for my body". I must get pleasure from it as well. But I also wanted my food to provide lower calories and good nutrition. I had to think of a way to combine the pleasure with the other stuff. So I became even MORE of a "gourmet" cook then I was before.

I'm not sure if I answered your question or not. But I do know when I'm eating, I'm thoroughly enjoying it and no, I'm not thinking about how many calories it has (again because it's be done for me years ago).

Tea, you've obviously been going at it a bit hard lately. I'm glad you had some time to ease up on yourself a bit. Sounds like it was much needed.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-10-2009 at 06:44 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #4  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I never think about calories, just carbs.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

tea, I get what you are talking about...for many months I have had to put the journey at the forefront of my mind and really it still is...I think about ways to set myself up for success in all my actions...last night I ate dinner out TWICE--knowing this I ate a house salad with vinegar ONLY for the first dinner..the second dinner I ordered a kebob and salad...for my drink I ordered one shot of Tequila and mixed with with water and fresh lemon & Splenda..much lower than an 800 calorie margarita..

There have been times I have eaten out and because of my selections, I was up 3-4 pounds the next morning due to sodium and the heaviness of the food itself....I am happy to report that I had 0 gain this morning

It sounds like you are leaning towards using your knowledge and intuition rather than counting calories 24/7..I would like to eventually feel comfortable going this route too...as I think it is even MORE sustainable than what I am currently doing

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 05-10-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #6  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Teawithsunshine, I think it's great you've taken a moment to smell the flowers, literally, and put all your weight loss efforts into perspective. They are important, but they're not everything. Ideally, they should contribute to the goal of living a happy and healthy life.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote