Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default How Normal People Eat

My partner and I sometimes have Doritos in the house. My rule is, when the bag gets opened, it has to be divided up into 1-ounce servings in zipper bags. This is the only way I can deal with them!

Several days ago, my partner, who has never had a weight problem and who has weighed 130 at 5 ft. 5 in. forever, decided to have a serving of Doritos for lunch. But, she didn't want to eat all of them. So, she zipped the bag closed with the rest left over and left the bag by her placemat.

OK, it sat there for three days. Maybe four. Finally she finished them off with another lunch one day.

First of all, how can someone NOT eat all the Doritos in a 1 ounce serving?

Second, how can they not finish off the leftovers for days?

(I, of course, was quite aware of those Doritos every time I walked past the dining area. Doritos, Dorrreeeeetooooozzzz...)

I asked her about it, and she said she just didn't want all of them, so she left them until she did. Huh.

Often we talk about the thin friend who seems to be able to eat anything... But, has anyone else noticed that people who don't appear to have a weight problem eat differently than those who do?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Often we talk about the thin friend who seems to be able to eat anything... But, has anyone else noticed that people who don't appear to have a weight problem eat differently than those who do?
I've noticed this, for sure.

You often, all right maybe not SO often, hear of "thin" people who "eat whatever they want". The thing that most folks don't get, is that - THEY JUST DON'T WANT AS MUCH AS I DO/DID. And that right there is the difference. Their wants. Without a doubt they are wired differently then me.

Certain foods, for instance ice cream or home baked goods, when they're in my home (which is why they're NOT) - they just call my name. Leaving something half finished or sitting around for days on end - I still can't understand it.

But then again, there are some always been thin folks who consciously make the decision to leave things half eaten and the such. I'm not sure if their wants were ever as high as mine, but I do believe they are choosing to do without certain foods.

All I can say is G-d bless calorie counting.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I've overeaten food since I was a child, long before it could be ascribed to emotional eating. I've just always been HUNGRY and don't have an "off" switch.
I could have said this myself, Meg (by the way, nice to see you! ). This is one of the reasons why certains foods simply don't get brought into my house any more. Ice cream for example. I am not even that fond of that stuff but for some reason I just can't stop eating it (if I have any). I wish I had a loonie for 500 ml of Haagen Dazs that I ate until it was empty (that container is not that big in the first place, well not for me, that is). It is easier to control myself when things are going well but my carefully achieved balance got really wobbly when plantar fasciitis struck and I had to drop all sort of exercises and basically develop a new system. It took a while and during that time it was so easy to reach for forbidden food and eat. It was actually quite scary as a wake up call in the sense that I realized how easy my new lifestyle (that I thought had such a strong foundation by now) could be easily underminded. There was one particular weekend that I remember with no so fond memory - I bought a container of ice cream (the bigger one) - I think it is 1.5 or 1.6 litres - I started with a few scoops on Saturday, then my control went ouf of window and by Sunday night the whole thing was gone.

I have inherited a lot of things from my father's side, a lot more than from my mom's. But my paternal grandfather (whom I adored as a kid) always had to fetched when meals were served because he wouldn't even notice it was noon and time to eat lunch. He was never hungry and always ate small portions just like Meg's DH. Why couldn't I inherit that?

Last edited by Tomato; 05-10-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #4  
Meg

Hi Tomato! I'm sorry about your PF -- been there and know how much it hurts. It's certainly eye-opening when we realize that our eating issues are still with us, despite what we think are solid lifestyle changes. Mine are there, right under the surface, just waiting to pop out and humble me when I get cocky about how well I'm doing. It's made me realize that obesity is a condition I'll manage for the rest of my life, but never be cured of (very much like my son's diabetes).
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Jay, the Doritos story reminds me of Angie That is exactly something she would do! She never falls for the "bet'cha can't eat just one" trick!

But is that normal? Or just different?

Is it normal because 1/2 an ounce serving is all she wants? If it is then wouldn't 8 beers or the entire Doritos bag be normal for me because that is what I want!

My brother in law eats as much as I do and has never gained weight. I will say he doesn't drink beer but puts down twice as many Pepsi's a day than I do water, coffee and beer. Then again he smokes Is he normal

Now I generally pass on treats, always have...normal

Then again I have been hooked on Cherry Garcia twice in my life...normal Seriously, there was a time I craved it....haven't had it in years and have no desire to.....same with smoking

No need to have a Klondike bar in the house either Angie and I actually have 2 in the garage fridge that have been there since nephew took off for the NAVY last September...is that normal Now yes...in my past "klondike bar" days no.

There was a time in my life, as a single parent, that I had to tell my kids "make sure you tell daddy when you are hungry"...we were always so busy I would forget to get them lunch before late in the day...but then I wasn't hungry, much like FriedGreen's grandpa. Now I could eat 2 lunches

We all know I have never been normal

But then I don't intend to be

HAVE A GREAT MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thin People Think Differently

For years I worked with a woman who would take out the large bag of potato chips from her desk, put a handful on a napkin next to her sandwich, and put the rest away. AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH HH!!!!!!

It drove me crazy. How could she put the bag back?

She was always thin. Had never gained weight. Wasn't an issue in her life.

I agree with those that note that thin people don't eat anything they want, but they do want less than I've wanted when I was overeating.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

I have certainly never been *normal*, food wise or any other wise.

But I would venture to say, that Jay's partner and Meg's DH are most likely in the minority, not the majority. That they are not the "norm".

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they both "forget" to eat. "Oh look, it's 3:00 and I haven't even had breakfast yet." I have never, ever not once "forgotten" to eat.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

My old boss was/is a skinny little thing, and for a long time she just baffled me. At lunch we would go into the cafeteria and she would have the "full Lunch special" That would be some sort of salad, meat, potatoes, veggie, roll/bread, and dessert. She would eat every bite, and always stay so slim an and petite. Me on the other hand, would always have the salad bar or something light and always be on a "diet"...and never the same size. I kind of resented it, it didn't seem fair.

Well...after time we became very good friends, and come to find out, she couldn't eat anything she wanted, but rather, that was ALL she ate! She is a self confessed NON-cook. The reason she ate such a big lunch was because that was all she ate all day. She hated to cook, to grocery shop, the mess. It was most convenient for her to just eat once...at work. TV dinners are her weekend fare. Funny how we are all so different.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
My old boss was/is a skinny little thing, and for a long time she just baffled me. At lunch we would go into the cafeteria and she would have the "full Lunch special" That would be some sort of salad, meat, potatoes, veggie, roll/bread, and dessert. She would eat every bite, and always stay so slim an and petite. Me on the other hand, would always have the salad bar or something light and always be on a "diet"...and never the same size. I kind of resented it, it didn't seem fair.

Well...after time we became very good friends, and come to find out, she couldn't eat anything she wanted, but rather, that was ALL she ate! She is a self confessed NON-cook. The reason she ate such a big lunch was because that was all she ate all day. She hated to cook, to grocery shop, the mess. It was most convenient for her to just eat once...at work. TV dinners are her weekend fare. Funny how we are all so different.
Yes. I know of someone, quite thin, whose daily menu often consists of cookies, muffins, fried chicken and rice. 2 cookies is breakfast. 1 muffin is lunch. Dinner is a fried chicken drumstick and a couple of tablespoons of rice. Total calories - maybe 1300?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-10-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #10  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

Normal people! *shakes fist*

I wonder if I'll ever eat like a normal person?
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

EZ and others, I am talking about people of normal weight, who have never had a problem with becoming overweight or obese. I'm referring to BMI charts, history, etc. I'm not talking about what constitutes "normal."

Besides, EZ, we know that your "normal" is kinda off the range...

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-10-2009 at 09:28 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

And then there are those that eat half a sandwich ...or half an apple, maybe a bite or two of pie. They are completely satisfied with this. I don't think I will ever reach this stage.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #13  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

I live with 4 "normal" people, and I am the only one who struggles with food.
My flatmate bought a pack of six cupcakes about a week ago. Now I am on a real health kick at the moment (and I'm doing so well!) so was determined I would have one and I did. They all had one too, and so there was one chocolatey one left.
It sat for days and drove me crazy every time I went into the kitchen! Why does food call to me like that and not to others?
In the end, in a moment of weakness, I had it. I wish so much I could be more normal.
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #14  
No description available.

I was at See's Candies last week with my 14 yo son. You know how they give samples? Well, they slid 2 samples over the counter to me and my son. I was fine to accept mine. 14 you DS said "No thank you." And the lady said, "Would you like such-and-such kind?"

"No thank you"
"How about a sucker?"
"No thank you"
"Is there any kind that you would like" the lady asked.
He shook his head. "Nah, I don't want any candy right now."
And of course I am thinking "Take the stinking candy and I'll eat it later!"

I'm not entirely sure I'm his real mother. He's just not into sweets. On his birthday, he passes on his own birthday cake. I think for weeks about what kind of cake I want for my birthday.

He has no weight problem. And if he keeps up his intuitive eating, I don't think he will. My parenting style is to not fuss too much about food. I just try to ensure a variety of mostly healthy stuff is available. My older kids dish their own plates. He doesn't choose potatoes or bread if they are the carb serrving. He will sometimes eat beans. So his plate contains the protein and the veggie. And beans if they are available.

I am very conscious of sweets & other junk. In fact I still am mindful of a half-eaten pecan pie that sat on our counter for a few days after Christmas before I threw it away. I doubt that pie lives on in anyone else's consciousness in my family.

As for Doritos, I sometimes pack them in the kids' lunches. More often than not, the bag comes back pretty full. Maybe they ate one, maybe none. Maybe this is my hint to just stop buying them, actually.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiad View Post
In the end, in a moment of weakness, I had it. I wish so much I could be more normal.
Again, I really think the *average* person would go on and eat it. So don't wish to be *normal*.

But I'll tell you this, that cupcake, I would have had to destroy it and throw it in the trash can. Apparently no one else wanted it and it would have been calling to me too. Better to put it in the trash can then to BE the trash can. So though I may never, ever be "that way", there are ways around it. It's going to have to suffice.