Old 05-09-2009, 02:43 AM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 311/Ticker/175

Height: 5'6''

Red face Another girl starting a mission

Hey guys, I've been visiting off and on for about a year now, but finally got the determination to go for the weight loss and become healthy again for real. I've always dreaded the scale, hovering around 250, but managed to stay away from the scale for awhile until going to the doctor about a month ago. I weighed in at just over 300lbs and my heart completely sank. However, it gave me that extra nudge I had been needing to start my way to a healthier lifestyle. Since then I have also been diagnosed with PCOS so it is even more important that I lose. My short term goal is to get back to 250 and eventually I want to be around 175. Its not going to be easy and I know that, but I'm hoping being around you ladies will help give me inspiration when those tough times come.
Gekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:09 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Welcome! and well done for taking this important first step. Have you decided how you're going to do it yet?
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good for you! You've made the decision to become a healthier person. And that right there is a big major first step. Don't dread this new healthy lifestyle. Get excited about it. Really, really excited. Know that each and every time you say no to "one of those foods" you are one step closer to becoming that healthy person. And it's exciting. You are about to transform your life.

I look forward to hearing of your success!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #4  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

Welcome and congratulations for making the decision to make changes in your life. Inspiration and motivation are plentiful around this site if you need any!
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #5  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Welcome aboard! You have made a big decision to get healthy and as you commit yourself to how you are going to do it, then you will see how well you really will do!
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #6  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Come on in and pull up a chair, Gekster! It's always so much fun to have new people jump on board! I concur with everyone else that you have just taken the first very important step on the journey of a lifetime --- you will learn all sorts of new things about your body and how to take care of it, encounter exotic new tastes, and find your personal strength as you overcome challenges to your commitment. How cool is that!

I don't know if this will work for you, but I find it a lot easier to think about losing 10 pounds than losing the whole 100 pounds I have left to go. Ten pounds can disappear pretty quickly when you are working on it and every pounds gone is a VICTORY! So, you can set a mini-goal of hitting 290 and just concentrate on that. Not so overwhelming, is it?

WELCOME TO 100+!

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #7  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Congratulations on making and taking that first step! I know it's scary to see 3-- on the scale. Boy do I know. But you won't for long!!!! No you won't! I'm looking forward to getting to know you!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #8  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

welcome and congrats on taking that first step I'm looking forward to getting to know you!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #9  
One day at a time

Thanks everyone, this is why I knew it would be a good to join you guys. I think finally making the decision and telling myself this is for real is going to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numina View Post
I don't know if this will work for you, but I find it a lot easier to think about losing 10 pounds than losing the whole 100 pounds I have left to go. Ten pounds can disappear pretty quickly when you are working on it and every pounds gone is a VICTORY! So, you can set a mini-goal of hitting 290 and
This is definitely something I have in my mind, it really is a great tip! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailidh View Post
Have you decided how you're going to do it yet?
Not entirely, but I have been living in a house without a functional kitchen for the past 10 months so there was waaay too much fast food and most of my meals consisted of freezer dinners. That finally got sorted out last month so now I am working on getting back into cooking. I already feel a significant difference in the way I feel. Also, because of the PCOS I am getting to know my doctor very well and she is definitely in my corner as far as helping to show me through food journals where I am doing not so well and where I am doing well, yay for constuctive criticism! All this plus I am trying to workout 1 hour at least 3 times a week, but right now I have only been able to do about 20 minutes 2 times a day, but it will get easier and I will get there.

I woke up this morning feeling tired and unwell, but seeing you guys behind me as you are the board has helped me to make the right decision: I'm going to go workout right now.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #10  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there and welcome! Check out the "Dieting with Obstacles" PCOS thread, because you can link up with ladies who are going through the exact same thing.
Let us know how your workout went!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #11  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Welcome Aboard!
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #12  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

welcome!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #13  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

HI & WELCOME! I agree 100% with rockinrobin - don't DREAD this journey, get EXCITED by it!!! it's really COOL We welcome you with open arms, and be sure to check in as often as you can ~ there's always someone quick with a hug or a boot in the bum, whichever you may need on a certain day
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #14  
One day at a time

Thanks very much. I am excited about it, but I think my biggest obstacle is myself. I am starting to try to recognize my excuses and as crazy as it may sound, reason myself out of them. For example, if the excuse is "I don't have time" I tell myself 10 minutes at different points during the day is not much. I have that much time waiting for a class that instead of sitting on a bench, I can walk around buildings. Things like that. Does anyone have any other tips for such self defeatism?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

You go Gekster! We're all rooting for you.

I know what you mean about having to fight yourself. Darnit, we're just so good at talking ourselves into trouble. Me, I try trickery and distraction. I get myself out the door to exercise by fiddling with my Ipod, or telling myself I'm just going to go check the mailbox. And sometimes the restaurants are calling to me so loudly, I have to drive by them saying "Oh look at the nice birdy flying over there! Yep, nice birdy! So pretty! Is the food gone yet?"
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote