Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/184/150ish

Height: 5'11"

Default procrastination... doesn't work out well with weight loss

I was cleaning my closet out the other day and noticed a big pile of dark blue fabric. Then I discovered it was a bridesmaid's dress I'd worn at my friend's wedding 2 years ago. Then I remembered it is the exact same size as the one I ordered for my sister's wedding this July. I am down 10 pounds from where I was then, but on a 5'11" frame that doesn't equate to nearly anything inches wise.

So for the last 2 years I've been coming up with all sort of stupid excuses as to why I can't eat healthy or why I can't exercise , and that I had plenty of time to lose the weight (I'm a horrible procrastinator in all aspects of life). I was determined last October to be at goal by my sister's wedding. Now it's 2 months away, so obviously that won't be happening. I'm really regretting that I won't be able to look back at these pictures and see a hot, skinny me. I don't really care what the guests will think of the tall bridesmaid with huge legs (not that anyone will be looking at me anyway, thank goodness), but I wanted to be happy with the way I looked.

Then this morning as I'm eating my leftover Chinese food (a plate full of nothing but fried chicken in a sweet/spicy orange sauce. Not a veggie to be found) I said to myself "After work, I'll buy a ton of fruits and veggies for the week. I only have exams left and then there are no excuses as to why I can't eat right because of school." Then I thought about how many times over the last 2 years it's been "Tomorrow I start trying to lose weight again" or "Monday is a good day to start eating better". How stupid. Especially since I love fruit and veggies. So it's not like I'll be torturing myself by eating more of them. Today I'm determined to actually go and do what I said I'm going to do, and stick with it. So by the fall semester I'll hopefully be at or very close to my goal weight. We'll see what actually happens...
spikedpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #2  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

And now you know. You have to start ASAP. Congratulations on getting the right mindset. You'll do great.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #3  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on deciding that you finally want to get on track.. Only you can know when you really want to do this and it seems like you have determination this time..
Best of luck to you and your journey on the weight loss trail!!!
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Also remember that if you do eat something bad, you don't have to go crazy the rest of the day. I just went to a baby shower and had some cesar salad and a cupcake, I enjoyed it and now for the rest of the day I'm back on plan!

Good luck, I say if you work really hard you never know you could lose quite a bit in two months.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Don't feel bad, I procrastinated a lot longer than 2 years. "Tomorrow" is deadly for me. An imperfect start today is worth a million times more than a perfect start tomorrow.

One thing I finally realized was that planning on tomorrow is just another way of saying I don't really believe in what I'm planning on yet. When I do, there's no point in making 2 or 10 or whatever number of unhealthy decisions before I start.

It's not so much that it's *bad* if I'm not fully on board yet. It's just that it helps to recognize that fact, so I can address why. When I catch myself thinking "tomorrow," that's my cue to figure out why I'm not willing to start today, and take those reasons seriously, so they don't keep sabotaging me subconsciously.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

First off, the ladies that have already responded have excellent advice....

... and this is where I'm going to get tough.

We have some similar stats you and I -- 5'11" with a wedding in 2 months. I don't carry weight around my midsection either so I can assume that we're probably fairly similar in shape (that's never happened in real life with me) . Sure it'd be awesome to be 160 or 150 even, but I bet you anything that you are absolutely stunning as it is!! It's really just a big mind game in the end as no one sees the little imperfections that we see on ourselves.

So for the next couple months focus on what makes you feel good about yourself. I find weight training does the trick because it makes me less jiggly and I get to see muscles defining themselves. Drink lots and lots of water every day to get rid of any bloating that's going on that makes everything feel a little tight. And you know what not to eat... anything that makes you feel bad about yourself! Get all the nourishment you can out of your food and fill up on good-for-you things and you will feel like a million bucks.

So even if you don't really lose anything for your sister's wedding, it won't matter! Naturally, your skin will be better, you will feel more energetic, and you'll be able to strut because you're a knock-out. (make sure you get some awesome heels)

Good luck hun, i'm in the same boat so I know exactly what you're going through. And today I was actually called "thin" so that's friggin awesome. (and I'm 10 lbs more than you!) Have fun!
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/184/150ish

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

beerab, that's one of my biggest problems. If I have a crappy snack or lunch or something I just eat like crap for the rest of the day since I've already ruined that day. Which makes no sense whatsoever.

preppingbride: Thanks for the 'tough love'. :-P I do intend to do weight training (I'm thinking about doing 'Making the Cut') since I despise cardio (though I know I have to incorporate that too). And it's not so much the number I'm worried about anymore. 150 was just a guess as to what weight I'd be when I was the size I wanted to be, and where I figured I'd have lost enough fat to look toned. So I guess I should say I wanted to be at my goal size by now.

Unfortunately I can't rock any killer heels since all the bridesmaids are required to wear the same shoes. haha. I do have a wedding the week after to go to that I'm hoping I can find a cute dress for.

I guess health is moreso what I'm trying to focus on than weight loss, even if weight loss is the motivation for getting healthier.

Last edited by spikedpunch; 05-08-2009 at 11:26 AM.
spikedpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Gotta be honest with you, I'm not doing cardio. I despise running and get bored on elipticals and other machines. So instead I'm doing 4 weight training days a week + other core exercises (isometrics). My version of cardio is gardening, riding my bike for pleasure, and walking whenever possible. I just make sure I do something every day.

and about wanting to be at goal by now? I'm pretty sure every single woman and man on this entire site has already said that at least a few times in their journey. Take advantage of the support here and it may be a little voice in the back of your head for the next time you feel like eating junk or not feeling like exercising.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote