The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 05-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #1  

Default Jillian Michaels- Which Book to choose?

Hi all-

I have recently become a fan of Jillian Michaels and find her to be quite inspirational. I'd like to get one of her books to follow in my quest to lose about 60lbs.(UGH) Any imput as to which of them would be the best guide for me, or are they pretty equal? Thanks in advance for your imput!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/255/150

Height: 5'3"

they are all really different! Her new book about metabolism is awesome, but it's more of a way to live so that your eating cleaner and keeping your body at it's peak internally. I own all three and find that they are great references for different reasons. Her new book in the first chapter discusses the differences between her books in greater detail.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #3  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

With 60lbs still to go, I'd suggest skipping her "Making the Cut" book for right now. It deals with really shredding off those last 10 pounds and getting your body defined. With 20 pounds to go I still find those exercises too intimidating.

I'd check the 1st book "Winning by Losing" out of a library and buy the 3rd book, "Mastering Your Metabolism".
Old 05-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/174/155

Height: 5'6"

I too wonder this. Thanks for posting. If you choose one and start reading please let us know which you like! I might try her 'Winning by Losing' first. Anyone read that one?

I have her videos 30 day shred, BFBM, and NMTZ. I don't do 30 day shred much anymore but do the BFBM very regularly. I also started to include the NMTZ. I am still hurting from that one. I also have other videos including the BL Cardio Max. I have to say a day with out Jillian is just not the same.

I also saw her on Rachel Ray and found out she has a horse. I have horses too so I feel like I can relate to her much more. Kind of dumb - I know. She just motivates me just right and for three months now I have been very please.

I have lost 28 pounds (as of today) and I am hoping to lose another 21 - 30 (we will see where I wan to be when I get closer - for sure a size 12 jeans!). I know there are many other trainers out there (I like Bob from TBL too) but when you find something or someone that works it is a very good thing!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #5  

Default Thanks for the advice.

Think I will follow dixied's advice since she sounded so sure in her recommendation. I also want to check out Jillians dvds. The hard part is motivating myself to work out at home. Once I finish reading her book, I think I'll look into reading what Bob Harper has to say as well.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #6  
Empress/Queen

I second the choice of "Making the Cut." Very good information in there.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #7  

Default Just try and find any of Jillian's things in the library! LOL

Wow! Miss popularity! Can't get her things at any nearby library! All out at Target and Sam's club too. I can be impatient and pay the big price at the book store, or order on line and wait a little longer. Guess everyone is jumping on her bandwagon--good for her! (and good for us!)
Old 05-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #8  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemom View Post
Wow! Miss popularity! Can't get her things at any nearby library! All out at Target and Sam's club too. I can be impatient and pay the big price at the book store, or order on line and wait a little longer. Guess everyone is jumping on her bandwagon--good for her! (and good for us!)
Have you tried half.com? I just looked and the lowest price for her latest book is $14, Making the Cut was $7, and Winning by Losing was $4. Just a suggestion if you do order online.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #9  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I'll agree with dixied - Winning By Losing is written for people who have a significant amount of weight to lose. Check out some of the old threads from when Winning by Losing first came out...we talked about it a lot then. The workouts are tough - but I learned tons from this book.

Making the Cut is for that last 20 pounds. I need to hit it again...it's easier to read the book than pull off the prescription.

I haven't checked out the new one yet, it sounds good!

Last edited by chick_in_the_hat; 05-11-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #10  
CherryBombJen

Location: Ventura, CA *currently in Louisiana on family business*

S/C/G: 21.3%/19.7%/12%

Height: 5'0"

Winning by Losing is your better option.
Making the cut is just that. About getting cut and losing up to 10-ish pounds.
You'll get much more out of her first book.