Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Default Fat Smash - Can you have Salsa?

I am seeing tons of P1 recipes with canned salsa listed. I would not have thought it would be aloud since it has HFCS in it?
Are you making your own or do you allow the canned kind or do you know of a good brand that doesnt have the corn syrup?
We LOVE Salsa so Im curious if its allowed in any phase. We cook our chicken in it and I could do that on P2 if its allowed but Im concerned b/c the canned salsa we have all has HFCS in it.
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #2  
ich bin geliebt

S/C/G: 353-->whatever is healthy

Height: 5'9"

I eat it. I mean, some HFCS is ok, it's not like you're drinking a 2-liter bottle of pop, ya know?
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #3  

Very True MaryEllen! Thank you!
I guess Im just a lil paranoid b/c this is the only plan I have found that has worked for me and I dont want to mess up the mojo.
I mean duh I looked at my yogurt and its in there too I should have known since its flavored.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #4  
ich bin geliebt

Totally understandable. I just try to remember that everything I am eating now is better than it was. Literally everything.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/169/150

Height: 5'5"

That's how I figure it too.. I try my best, but I use salsa and flavoured low fat no sugar yogurts. I figure its a lot better than what I was doing before.. so as long as I'm seeing results I allow it. However, I did stop seeing results after adding in some other things with aspartame, like no sugar added jello puddings... so I cut those out. Also even diet pop doesn't work for me. Everyone is different, you got to just keep trying.
paperSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Default No HFCS!

Looking, I just checked my bottle of Ortega Thick & Chunky salsa and HFCS is not listed. The ingredient list is: tomato puree (water, tomato paste) tomatoes in juice, onions, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, distilled vinegar, salt, citric acid, spice, natural flavor.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #7  
ich bin geliebt

Sounds good to me!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #8  

if you have a little time, salsa is SO easy to make yourself.
in a food processor, add a jalapeno that you have seeded, 2 T vinegar, 1 T olive oil, 1 t salt, maybe some cumin, about 1 T lemon juice (fresh ALWAYS better), then dice up about 4 or 5 (or more) large tomatoes (the smaller the dice the better) a couple of T of cilantro and some green or red or yellow onion. it keeps for weeks. and you can experiment on the different ingredients (different types of clear vinegars, different types of peppers and onions, maybe even add some mango!) until you find what you like. and that way you know EXACTLY what is in it.
raygunclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Many products are available now that don't have HFCS in them; you just have to read the labels. I try to avoid it at all costs; it's Frankenfood IMHO.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #10  

Height: 5'8"

Another alternative would be to use the salsa seasoning mix packets that are found in the same area that they sell taco seasoning, sloppy joe seasoning, and all the rest of those packets. With the salsa packet all you have to add is tomato and onion. I saw sugar listed in the ingredients of one, but under the nutritional facts section they put 0grams of Sugar.
OhPuhleezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 171

Height: 5'5

I make a really quick "salsa" and put on top of my rice and beans. I take an tomato, onion, and any color bell peppers - chop them up and sprinkle it on whatever you're eating (egg white omelet, beans, etc).
Smash40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #12  

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to pop in and say thank you to who ever looked at the ingredients in salsa. It never crossed my mind that it might have HFCS in it.

I also thank the person who posted the ingredients to the salsa with out HFCS. I leared something from that too! Natural falvor is just a code word for MSG. There is another ingredient I never thought would be in salsa. I try to avoid HFCS and MSG so this was an eye opener and I will be checking my salsa.
kissesmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #13  

Dh ended up making some really great salsa using the Mrs Wages mix and tomatoes, peppers and onions froom our garden. He canned some and froze some. I startd back on smash this week and I made a pot of chili/soup using 1 jar of homemade canned tomato juice and one jar of the salsa as a base then added corn, black beans, kidney beans, fire roasted tomatoes, a bag of mixed veggies (Id leave these out and just make a chilli next time but DS loves them) and seasonings some cumin, mrs dash and chilli pepper. Its really good!