South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Default One Year Today!

I started SBD one year ago today! My original intention was to drop the weight I've held on to so long, and learn to eat better. It definately worked!!

Although we don't have a problem with high cholesterol or heart disease in my family, my father is a diabetic, and a stroke victim with high blood pressure. I was raised in a typical 80's home, and my mom tried hard to make food dad liked...which was unhealthy. We never had "naked" veggies...everything had to have butter, or a cream sauce, or similar.

In college, I also went through the low fat fad that most did. And at the time, because I was so active, it worked. But in the back of my mind, I knew I was eating more sugar.

In the past 5-8 years, I was always frustrated. I tried all different ways to eat to feel better, and to lose weight. I was getting up early to go on the treadmill or to the gym, and still didn't work. Needless to say, I stopped going!

Then a friend mentioned south beach to me. I honestly tried it a short time years ago, but it wasn't the "right" time for me, and my mind wasn't in the right mindset (I was working full time in a stressful job while nursing an infant).

Starting one year ago today, I tried it again. Little would I know what it would do for me!!

Things I've found:

**wow, I don't like white flour products anymore. Regular pancakes are...boring!!
**I can't get myself to eat a fast food burger. Haven't had one in over a year now!! If I get stuck at work without food, I'm more likely to get a fast food salad, or a grocery store salad bar. Fast food is honestly not even a temptation or consideration. It does nothing for me. And before SBD, I'd have fast food once every 1-2 weeks (leaning towards the one week) over lunch. Never mind what my family would have.
**I can get away with a lot less sugar in many recipes. I made banana bread for the kids last night, with 2/3 WW flour, and 1/2 the sugar. They don't even notice.
**I have more exercise endurance than I ever thought I would. My DH and I are signing up for a 5 or 10 K at the end of the month. Never woulda thought.
**I feel good about what I'm teaching my children about eating.
**I think I would've had a nervous breakdown in the past month if it weren't for my new exercise habits . Thank goodness for exercise.
**I've (mostly!) learned a balance. I occasionally have real ice cream, fried shrimp or similar as something special I enjoy. When the rest of my diet is so well controlled, small occasional splurges don't effect me.
**I *enjoy*, even crave, "weird" foods as my coworker called it. I have southwestern lentil salad for lunch today, and can't wait!!
**3FC is the reason I have succeeded. The recipes, support, and friendship here is a blessing. How else would I have found out about cinnamon omelettes? I hope it continues to keep me on the right track!!

Thanks chickies !! here's to south beach!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations on improving your health and setting a good example for your children .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #3  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

Twynn! Thank for such an inspirational post!!! Congrats to you and all your healthy new habits! BTW - is your southwestern lentil salad posted to the recipe thread? Sounds soooo yummy!

I recently left SB to do WW and what a total failure it has been...I realized that I HATE not being able to eat real stuff and counting all those point. I am going back to SB ASAP and your post inspired me to do it! It's a great diet, I don't know why I left it in the first place. THANKS, TWYNN!!!!
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #4  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Congrats Twynn! Your journey is inspiring!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Congratulations Twynn! How lucky for me that you are here, you are such a great support
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations! I am trying to get back on track, and I am very encouraged by your post. I need a "game plan" and I thought South Beach would be a great place to start. I am going to have my healthy breakfast, go to the pool for water aerobics, and then on a hike. I will check back in today before I slip back into my old routine. I am going to deal with today. Tomorrow I will deal with tomorrow.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Congratulations Twynn! I feel the same way about SB. I reached my goal about this time a year ago & have never before maintained my weight this long. I've never been a fan of fast food and I've always preferred whole grains. People think I eat weird food too. My co-workers are always asking me what that is that I am eating. I just wish I was a runner, like you. Something I've always aspired to, but never really accomplished. I'm good if I get to the gym and walk on the treadmill. Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

wow, you just really inspired me and made me feel good about my own journey. i started sbd last may also, on mother's day. I've lost over half of the weight i set out to lose, and only have 25 more pounds to go. I love the new ways of eating and cooking that I've learned - I love the "weird" foods! and the fact that others have no idea they're eating healthy when I cook for them.
Losing weight and having more energy does feel great, I'm so happy for you!
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

YAY!! Great post and congrats!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Twynn, you're a wonderful member of our community here and I'm so glad that you've found such health and happiness on the Beach!

You are certainly setting a great example for your kids. I'm with you on the getting excited about weird stuff thing...I love lentil salads!

Congratulations--here's to many more!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Happy Beach-iversary Tammy!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 300.1/*ticker*/269

Height: 5'6

That makes me excited to stay on the beach and really keep going. Thank you for sharing your success and congrats!!
SmilesIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #13  

Twynn, I echo the responses of the other 3FCers and SBers here in thanking you for sharing your anniversary post with us! I, too, started SB years ago but it also wasn't the right time for me. I've been on the beach now faithfully since mid January and have lost over 20# and have gotten to the point where it's just "how I eat" not a diet if that makes any sense! I hope to be posting my anniversary edition next January to share with everyone here.

Thanks again and congrats to you!
wiginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Twynn, and Happy BEACHiversary!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

TwynnB, I'm not on SB but I do eat wholefoods / Mediterrasian style, and I could ditto everything you said. I think my new relationship to food is more of a gift than the weight loss itself. Although, I'm finding that I not only don't like white flour products, I'm preferring more actual grain and less flour of any kind. I like some texture and chew!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote