Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #1  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Default May Alternachicks - come out, come out wherever you are!

Hey Alternachicks!

we're 3 days into May! Where are all the Alternachicks? Let's make May the month that we really come together and support each other!

What is ONE goal you have for this month? How will you achieve it?

My one goal is that I continue kicking up my fitness a bit. Of course I want to lose weight, but I want to focus a bit on the physical stuff as well. I started my bellydancing classes, I'm doing in-home exercise DVD's, I'll be cycling to and from the station and I'd like to work up into more jogging than what I've acheived so far. So, by the end of May I will:

have done my exercise DVD 8 times
I will have cycled to the station at least 8 times
have done my walk/jog at least 8 times
and my bellydancing is a given at 1 time per week

Hold me to it chicks!!

Last edited by PinkyPie; 05-03-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added goal setting for May
Old 05-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I have been outside in the beautiful weather - it has been such a fantastic spring here so far that I have been profiting from every minute I could! It's serious garden time here, and my finger nails are toast!!

How do you like your belly dance classes Velveteen? Are you learning a classical Egyptian style, or more of a fusion sort of style?

I have two goals for May:

To no longer be fat, and to learn a dance choreoagraphy well enough to dance in a show.

The first goal is almost in reach - in 6 more pounds, I will have a BMI that puts me into the 'normal' weight category. It is such a huge milestone that I'm almost afraid to try for it, but it is also so close...

The second goal is actualy the harder one and the one I am least sure of achieving. My teacher's dance troupe has taken me on as a junior dancer - apparently she invites some of her students do this if she feels they have some potential, and if in a couple of years, they are good enough, they are allowed to join the core troupe. So I'm learning the choreographies while I am improving my technique. In two weeks, there is a student show being put on by a fairly famous older Egyptian dancer, and my teacher's troupe has been invited to do a couple of dances. *IF* I can learn the choreography well enough (easy part), and *IF* I can polish up my shoulder shimmies enough (hard part), I can do one of the dances with the troupe.

So I'm going to work really hard at achieving the second goal, and hopefully, those 9 hours of classes a week will put a big dent in the first goal!

BP
Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #3  
workoutaholic

S/C/G: 255/See Ticker/180

WHERE IS EVERYBODY? There isn't even an exercise accountability thread yet! Well, We can make this one. At least for me!

I really want to lose 15 pounds before my graduation. This is quite a bit, considering it is on June 5, but I want to get as close as I can. I know I can do it!

And i worked out today, but only 30 minutes. Time to get my butt back into gear!

Bellydancing is so much fun! I took lessons for a while, and loved it. I also took ballet for 8 years, then my teacher told me I was too fat to do it anymore. I was 12. So I quit. I used to be good at it.

But anyways, thanks for being here ladies! I need someone to make sure I'm working toward my goal. Talk to you tomorrow!

:] Nelli
Old 05-04-2009, 03:05 AM   #4  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i got 30 minutes in and hope to be back on track. i don't know what happened to April- but I certainly seem to have missed it!

my goal is to keep working out, i'd like to aim for a minimum of 5 days a week if not every day.
i also need to work really hard at staying out of the vending machine at work, and out of the candy jar!! i have a friend on watch for me- to yell at me any time i reach for it. so far, so good.
i'd really like to lose at least 5 lbs for the month. i was hoping to be much further along but i keep going on binges and gaining the weight back. :C
so here's to a weight-losing, exercising, binge-free MAY!!

also- i hit the bike for 30 today.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #5  
workoutaholic

S/C/G: 255/See Ticker/180

i pushed myself in a super intense workout this morning. I am hurting something terrible now, but I feel good about it! I was running at a 10.0 on my treadmill, which is awesome for me! I was happy.

Down one pound already!

60 min. exercise today.

:]Nelli
Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi Everyone!!!

I'm here, I'm here. I'm glad you are all here, too!!! I agree with Velveteen that May should be our month to come out and support each other! I know I really need it, and I'll bet many others do as well.

I fell off the wagon in March, and then in April I got my act back together and lost what I had gained, plus a few more! My goal for May is to get out of the 220's and into the teens!!! I know I can do it, but sometimes losing just a few pounds seems impossible. I don't know why. I am feeling frustrated, but I know it's in my control. It just doesn't feel that way right now. But, I've been eating well, and I just need to step up my exercise.

Hope to hear from you all soon!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Bonjour les filles! Hello ladies!

Hope you are all doing well.

I'm still plugging along at getting into shape. Still doing yoga, dance class and wiifit. I am trying to talk DH into going to Latin dance classes (salsa, merengue, tango etc.). We are hoping to go to Cuba next year and I want to be able to dance when I get there. I have agreed to help him with his Spanish so he owes me!

Meanwhile I am still painting and trying to get the house in shape by the end of May so I can spend the summer outdoors.

Here's to getting in shape for the summer!

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 05-04-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #8  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

hi chicks! we're already moving and grooving - fantastic!!

I have a few challenges this month (going to Poland for a concert in a couple of weeks, for one) but I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and be uber-accountable to myself.

I just started the C25K, but had already been doing something similar, just not structured. Now I'm officially doing it and hubby is in too so that's cool.

let's keep in touch and do this thang!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #9  

I have a cold and had to go to the doc to get a prescription for some serious steroids because my asthma is triggered by colds. Hopefully I won't need them, but I do need to have them on hand, just in case...

My doc hasn't seen me in 10 months, so when I walked into her office, her jaw dropped - she immediately had me hop on her scale. I am down two more pounds from last week. 168!! She had a bit of a surprise for me though - my high weight, as of two years ago, was actually 210 pounds! I must have blanked that number out of my memory! I didn't have a scale back then, so I guess it was never driven home.

On the one hand, it means I have lost more weight than I thought (yay!), but on the other, it means I was fatter than I thought (serious bruise to my vanity! !).

mauvaisroux - if you ever manage to drag your DH to dance class, let me know what arguement worked! I'd love to go with mine, but every time I hint at it he says it's not his thing (I think he's too shy).
Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I'd like to join your group! I've been lurking around 3FC for awhile and haven't really found a group I fit in with yet.

I started a 12 week body for life program yesterday (Monday). My goal for this month is to follow this program, which includes working out intensely 6 days per week and eating 5-6 balanced meals 6 days a week (with one free day, for me that's Sunday, no exercise and eat whatever).

I'm hesitant to set a number goal but I'd like to be firmly into the 2-teens by the time the end of the month rolls around. I'm considering buying some calipers so maybe I can have some goals that involve BF% as well.

To recap, my May goals are:
1. To workout according to my schedule and not miss any days
2. To eat well, even when I'm working. This means packing my food and eating every few hours even if it's inconvenient. No food from the officer's dining room (yummy and free but not at all good for you!).
3. Continue to drink a minimum of 80 oz of water a day.
4. To resist the scale obsession and attempt to weigh myself just once per week.

That's enough for now! I hope it's ok that I crashed your thread.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 201 / 188 / 160

Height: 5'9"

Tracking, tracking, tracking.....that is my major goal for May.....So far, so great!!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #12  

Hi Spooky! Congrats on starting a program! You've come a long way already

BP
Old 05-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Aww, thanks, BP!

I'm so excited to start this challenge, work hard, and hopefully see some good results!

And congratulations on rocking your doctor's socks! I'm hoping to do the same thing the next time I see my GYN.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #14  

Sigh. DH is so not the handyman type. The guy is a genuis - really! He's got two degrees in physics - his specialiaty was theoretial high energy particle physics. Seriously mind bendingly impossible stuff. But can he help me put a shelf up? NO!

We bought a new fridge (from a store called Elvis! ), and when the guys were putting it into place, they knocked off a shelf I had put up. No big deal - I'll just put it back up and make sure it's properly attached this time. I needed to drill some pilot holes and I had to have DH hold the shelf in place while I did this. I showed him how I wanted him to hold it, got into place (space was kinda cramped, and I had to be under the shelf to do the drilling) put the shelf roughly where I wanted it, and told DH to hold it properly. I ASSUMED he was holding it as I had shown him, but when I drilled the holes and screwed the shelf into place, it was clear he had not held it anything like I had demonstrated. DH said he held it where I put it when I handed it to him. UM. Dude. That's why I showed you how to hold it first. When I am underneath the shelf, at a crooked angle, I cannot SEE the shelf's placement.

So I go unscrew the screws, show him AGAIN how I want him to hold the shelf, get back in my cramped position and we try again. But before I drill more holes I quickly reach around and feel the corner of the shelf to make SURE it is where I want it to be. Good thing, because DH had the shelf off by more than an inch. OK MR. rocket scientist - what is so hard about holding the shelf where I showed you!!!!! Meanwhile, he's grumping about how long this is taking, and I'm trying to supress the urge to drill a few holes into his feet...

He got it right on try #3, so I got my shelf up properly, made myself some tea and am now calm and happy. I have a new fridge that won't freeze my veggies and yet melts ice cream (wait - I don't buy that anymore...).

DH is great, usually - he washes dishes, sweeps and vaccuums without being asked, irons his own shirts even! But handyman stuff? Nuh-uh. He does not know one end of a hammer from another!

BP
Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #15  
diosa

S/C/G: 216/157/124

Height: 5' 3"

Wow, bopeep. Don't feel bad though, my brother is getting a degree in chemistry, yet has no common sense whatsoever.
Closed Thread