Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy 9 months and I'm bored

Has anyone else become bored after a long period of weight loss? I know "bored" isn't quite the right word, but I feel like things are always the same. Eat slightly less than I'd like to, lose a little weight, repeat. Even the benefits aren't exciting anymore. I know I'm losing weight and inches, slllllloooowwwllyyy, and the benefits seem minimal (I still feel really fat, and I am 200 pounds), and I still have so far to go.

What are your experiences in this? Am I nuts for getting complacent?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Nope. You aren't nuts. Welcome to the world of long-term weight loss!
But what you can do is focus not on the pounds but on the new lifestyle that your new body will let you do. If you can find an activity that is so out there, and so different to what you would normally do, and you can do it now because of your new body, you will make that link between what you are plugging away at and what you have achieved.
There are lots of stories on here about how long-termers like you and me have taken up running for example and get re-motivated because they want to do better at that sport. Now, I'm not suggesting running at all!
For me, I took up Hot Yoga (what? Am I NUTS?) I love it, and I can hardly wait to peel another 20 lbs off so I can actually touch my toes.
Think about it -- a switch-up in your lifestyle might reignite your enthusiasm!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks, that's good advice. Part of my stagnancy problem (I think) is that my physical activities and abilities haven't changed all that drastically. An exercise hobby might accentuate the changes quite a bit.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Im in the same place right now. i call it my mental plateau
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I guess I kind of did at your weight, more like a "poor me" why do I have to always be good when everyone else eats what ever they want....I got over it, but it did get me down a little bit. Now the AWESOME news is...let me tell you, the next 30 pounds are going to make a HUGE difference. It is amazing how much difference there has been in clothes, physical abilities, and oddly male attention, (YIKES) in the last few weeks. I was hit on 2 times at Walmart on Friday...(and nice looking men....not dirty old men! ) I wasn't expecting it and just commented on Windchimes thread about male attention the previous day. I called my husband at work and said...guess what, guess what? He was so funny, he congratulated me...lol

Last edited by Lori Bell; 05-04-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Oh, yes, I know what you mean. I've been doing this 4 years, and I have many days like that. They are my enemy. I've gained back a bunch of what I lost -- in great part because I don't care every day like I need to.

Weight loss manifests to others physically, but it is SO mental...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Exercise is helpful for more than the calories burned and fitness gained. In my experience, it is also essential for changing your relationship with your body from one or dislike to one of admiration and like. Yoga is especially great for this, but any exercise or sport helps remind you that your body valuable to you for functional reasons, and not just as something to be looked at.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 05-04-2009 at 09:08 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #8  
Gaining Attitude

S/C/G: 205 / 193 / 145

Height: 5'5

I agree with Lori - I went from 205 to 194 in the last month and I am still, really, in shock at the difference it made. I thought, okay, maybe my tight pants will fit not-so-tight. But those pants went from really tight to actually starting to hang a little loose. I can button others I couldn't button before. So I urge you to keep plugging! I think you'll start to see some amazing changes from this point on and that will help provide some motivation.

And kiramira is just as right. A new exercise of some sort should be a reward! Anything you've been wanting to try?

And don't be afraid to embrace healthy - healthy is seriously sexy. Learning about how really good veggies are for you (whfoods.org) and how bad donuts are for you can be exciting. And when you do "cheat" - cheat in a really expensive way. Don't go for the reeses pnut butter cup...go for the organic expensive dark chocolate truffle! You can do it! You've lost so much weight it's inspiring - look forward to finding out how you beat this latest challenge :-)
bobblefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/174/155

I am there with you. I am still losing but slowly. I have only been doing this for three months. The changes are slower the scale is slower and my mind is bored with the slow pace. I end up slacking on weekends most of all because I just want a day to be free. If I want to lose weight I have to work on my mind as much as my body. Wheter it is boredom or lack of the motivation I had two months ago it is a pain. I need a rejuvination.
Phyxius79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #10  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

I haven't been losing for very long (this time), so I'm not with you yet. But I noticed that you are so close to being at 100 pounds lost!!! Isn't that exciting? No, really, I'm asking the question, "Isn't that exciting?" I would think that it would be, but maybe because it is still very far away for me, it seems like it.

Good job, by the way!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Oh yeah. I've definitely been there.

I started my weight loss "trip" in April 2008 and definitely hit points of boredom. Recently I've had a surge of "crazy about health!" come to me. Mostly it's because I've found the joy in cooking and food, healthy food! Healthy food is not boring and discovering all the yummy food this is healthy for me is a lot of fun.

I also try to enjoy my exercise. My husband has started running with me and we enter races. It's fun!

Point being, my mental outlook has gone from "I'm trying to lose weight" to "I'm living a healthy life" and the weight loss just comes with it (slowly, but surely).
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 269/215/165

Height: 5'6

I really know how you feel. My husband never really understand why I get so mentally down on myself, but maybe it is a woman thing. (or at least we admit it, haha!)

The thing is, you've got to start getting excited agian. You should really cook up a big reward for this 100 lb mark coming up and do something really fun. Like buy a fancy new dress and go out on the town. A 100 lbs is a HUGE achievement. Celebrate!

Keep pushing, you'll eventually stop being 'bored'.
MrsHomeStretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 213/169/150

Height: 5'5"

I've seen your pictures and you look amazing.. the weight loss can be monotonous at times... and a little frustrating.. I agree with all the posters that have written here.. about the reward for 100 lost, the new sport, and can I just add that soon enough you will be shopping in the skinny stores!

For me that is the one thing I'm looking forward to the most. And summer is coming and there will be lots of cute clothes in your future. The only thing more frustrating then continuing is to quit and gain back the weight.. you'll be so angry at yourself.

I get really blah at times about the weight loss.. I try and be excited about my progress so it keeps me going but most times I am just meh.. I know it's not a race but it would be damn nice if we could be at the end rather than the middle

I was thinking about taking up running but lately I've been contemplating bike riding.. I figure it would be less hard on the knees (I am paranoid about hurting my knees running) and I'd bike larger distances then I ever could running.
paperSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

You might want to try to do something to perk up your feelings of weight loss? Is there an activity you have really been wanting to try out--rollerblading or rock climbing. Is there a skirt or a pair of shoes or a new lipstick you have your eye on? What about taking a healthy cooking class or even trying out some new recipes that are super healthy? You are doing wonderfully on your weight loss. I know you look great and must feel great too. Get up every morning and put your best face and hair on. We CAN do this thing all the way to the finish.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote