General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default OT: How did you quit smoking?

I quit smoking about 6 months ago, due to a terrible case of bronchitis that put me in the hospital. Now my df wants to quit, and I don't really have any advice to give him?

Any help, ideas? We would appreciate it so much!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 249/228/165

Height: 5'9"

quitnet.com

ozquits.com

and pure, unmitigated determination.

losing a friend to aggressive metastatic cancer and watching the slow death of a good friends father from copd always made the stakes clear.

isolde
stillclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #3  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Ha, I quit the same way except I wasn't in the hospital.
I had really bad bronchitis and I went to the doctor and he said "you don't smoke do you?" and I said "yes", so he said "why don't you quit" and I said "OK" and I did. It really hurt to breathe, much less try to smoke a cigarette.

Congrats to you on quitting. Smoking killed my dad, so I'm always glad when someone quits.
WooHoo for you!!!

As for your friend? I don't know. Can you give him a case of bronchitis? (just kidding of course).

Maybe a story of what a terrible death it is.
My dad started smoking when he was 12. He was 68 when he died. For about 10 years prior to his death, he had emphysema and could not really do any physical activity. For the last 5 years of his life he was on oxygen and could barely walk around his house to do just basic things (cook food, go to the bathroom). The night I took him to the hospital, he was having a really hard time breathing. They gave him a breathing treatment, then he passed out and they had to put a tube down his throat. He spent 3 weeks in the hospital before he passed away, on a ventilator. It really is not a pleasant way to die (if there is such a thing).

Good luck to you. I hope you can persuade him to quit.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

DDC's story of her dad pretty much resembles my mom.

I quit 12 years ago with nicorette gum being the ticket for me. Good luck to your friend.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

My boyfriend quit smoking 2 months ago. He went from smoking over 1 pack a day to being a nonsmoker in one day. The only thing that he used was this book: "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Non-Smokers Using Allen Carr's Easyway Method by Allen Carr".

I don't understand exactly how is works because I'm a nonsmoker, but he said that it had 400+ 5 star reviews on Amazon and has helped many people to stop smoking. My bf swears that anyone who actually takes the time to read and understand the book will be become a nonsmoker.
digitalrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 235/192/140

Height: 5'6"

I quit one year ago this month using chantix. I'd tried pretty much everything else first though.

Good luck!
greengrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #7  
Addicted to potato salad!

I took a cigarette and drew a face on it, taping it to my computer monitor. I would empower myself over it, saying things like, "I have given BIRTH! I don't need you, I'm stronger than you! I am WOMAN - HEAR ME ROAR!!". It took one hour at a time, then one hour led to one day, one day led to one week, etc. Next thing I knew, I was out somewhere and someone lit a cigarette and it grossed me out...I knew then, I'd kicked the habit.

'Course, this was after about fifty attempts to stop and followed an event where my daughter got into my purse and dismantled a pack of cigarettes and I said, "That's IT! NO MORE!!"

Good luck to you and your DF. You and he can DO IT!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I started smoking when I was 12 years old and smoked about a pack a day, or more, every single day from the time I got my driver license at age 16, until last October (well, I quit for a few months in 2003 but went back to it while I was busy getting drunk every day, abusing paxil and gaining all this weight). Last October, I finally realized that smoking was holding me back from a lot of stuff I really wanted to do, like get more exercise, etc. So I decided to quit all of a sudden. And I did, cold turkey. I was cranky for a few days but overall it wasn't that hard. And I don't miss it. And after about 2 months I realized I am now a non-smoker. I don't have any special advice for your friend ~ this is just how I did it, and I think my way is kind of unusual. But it worked for me. Best of luck to your friend! Really, I just wanted to NOT smoke more than I wanted to smoke.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #9  
Gaining Attitude

S/C/G: 205 / 193 / 145

Height: 5'5

I smoked for about 7 years - I continued to smoke even when I would wake up in the middle of the night to go pee and then collapse on the bathroom floor, sweating and barely able to breathe for an hour. Yeah, would still get up the next morning and go for another smoke. Crazy, huh?

I had hypnotherapy - it worked for a few days (then I'd go to a bar and have a beer) and then I'd have to go back. I did this a few times and finally gave up.

Two years later, trying many times, something just clicked. I suddenly couldn't even think about smoking without becoming violently nauseous. I kept thinking how it smelled so horrible.

I think what happened was when I finally wanted to REALLY quit the hypnotherapy was right there to kick in.

Never looked back.

Just another thought to add to the list!!!
bobblefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #10  

Nicotine patch works well!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote