Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/190-ish/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Stomach problems

My entire life I've had stomach trouble. I almost always feel nauseated to some degree, but there will be times when it's unbearable. Walking makes it worse, walking on a full stomach makes it horrible.

Basically, if I want to go out and/or get anything accomplished during the day, I can't have anything to eat until evening. My doctor diagnosed me with the very vague "IBS" and has recommended various antacids and an antispasmodic, but they don't really help.

I'm told that only eating one meal a day is horrible for weight loss. But during the bad periods, it's either that or resign myself to a stationary day. (Which makes my binges doubly problematic!)

Anyone else have trouble maintaining an ideal diet because of stomach trouble? Any good ways of working around it? Slimfast shakes are doable most of the time, but I can't just live on those until the next good spell!
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #2  

Have you ever had a thorough gastro work up done? I have GERD and Barrett's esophagus. Some foods really make me feel nauseated so I am gradually learning what I can tolerate. Could you drink smoothies? You can put a scoop of whey protein, some fruit, milk or yogurt and blend it up. Lots of nutrition so sip during the day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Firstly, I do agree with Quilter that you should make sure that you don't have something besides IBS. We have that in our family and one sister has diarrhea so bad that she was eating only one meal a day so that she could work or go out. I also had this and over the years, it has gotten better after changing my eating style.

Her doctor recommends just eating something small and light like one piece of toast for breakfast and again something light for lunch. This also helped balance her blood sugar levels which were spiking high from eating only one meal a day in the evening.

What I'm suggesting is -- don't fill your stomach up completely, just have something small and not too spicy like whole grain toast. I found switching to whole grains and adding fiber, plus eating more often really helped my chronic diarrhea get better.

That nausea could be a symptom of a gall bladder problem or something else, so I agree that this should be investigated more thoroughly ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #4  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I would recommend going to a Gastroenterologist, get a full battery of tests and let them help you. I have been seeing one since 1999 and it has been the best decision for my tummy. I have something similar to Barretts and I get my throat stretched once a year because it feels like my throat is closing up on me or food just gets stuck..I know that probably TMI...but I wanted to give you an example.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #5  
Im naked under my clothes

S/C/G: 196/see ticker/165

Height: 5' 7

I have always had stomach issues too ( I also mostly ate crap though) and like you only ate once a day. I find that since I've changed my eating habits and finally got the eating till your satisfied (not till you feel like your gonna throw up!)thing that the bloat and nausea has virtually gone away. You'll be alright once you get the healthy eating choices down.
Getting Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:47 AM   #6  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

You might want to discuss Celiac Disease with the doctor, too. They seldom consider wheat intolerances in adults but the problems can develop at any age. I have a friend who was recently diagnosed at age 67 after going the route of possible IBS and not finding relief.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #7  

I've got chronic gastritis since I don't know when, got to know i had it when my doctor performed an endoscopy and found out i have it.
Meal time is not very pleasant for me cause I don't know if the food will make me sick or the least of all bad things, give me a nice tummy ache that'll make me walk like the hunchback.

I've been stuck at 115 lbs for the last 4 years, but out of the blue in less than 2 weeks I ballooned up to 124lbs, been eating like I normally do, no changes in my diet and this happens! Been so depressed and confused since I went to the doctor (twice) and saw my actual weight.
Cannot fit in my usual clothes...all of this in less than 15 days! still don't get why, or what did I eat to go up this much!

The doctor says it's probably cause I'm bloated and/or retaining water and he prescribed B complex, but ain't feeling a huge difference or improvement, still bloated.
I'm scared it'd be my thyroid besides of the gastritis I've already got.
My legs, arms, face, stomach, ankles and hands feel swollen and I'm scared now.
The doctor told me to go get some lab tests done: urine, glucose, hemathic biometry (sp?) but I don't know if they'll also tell if there's something wrong with my hormones/glands.

Have you been through this maybe?
thkpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #8  

Forgot to say that I cannot do any other kind of work out besides yoga or mild intensity pilates cause when I do try 10 mins or 20 at the elliptical or stationary bike or some sit ups/ crunches I feel some kind of hot flsh and become all bloated and it goes away after I suspend it.
Also been noticing that cannot breathe ok when i use the stairs or jog a bit.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #9  
Mind over Body

S/C/G: 303/303/155

Height: 5'6"

I have had IBS since I was a pre-teen. I didn't get diagnosed until I was 19. It's one of the reasons I have a weight issue. Nonetheless, it's been better since 2005. I have my spells, but I do better ever since I conquered the mitigating psychological issues I had such as anxiety and panic attacks. I am more active, but I still need to improve.

I recommend checking out http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/

It really helped me a great deal.

Last edited by chicadee76; 04-06-2009 at 12:46 PM.
chicadee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #10  
Triathlon chica

S/C/G: 270/182.5/??

I second looking at gluten (wheat/rye/barley/oats) as your troubles ... I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant two years and and instantly dropped about 25 pounds without much effort once I rid my diet of gluten. A lot of doctors will just tell people they have IBS without testing or suggesting eliminating gluten.

For me, I also had to give up most dairy, and I try to keep rice and white potatoes to a minimum. I used to have diarrhea or loose stools almost all the time, but now only once in a great while.

Gluten intolerance may not always show up on lab work - mine did, but my brother's didn't. But if he eats gluten, he gets sick.

It takes about a week, and then the gluten cravings will start to decrease. Work to eliminate sugar, and they will decrease even further. Your digestion should improve in 1-3 weeks.

Check out the books "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" and "The Paleo Diet" for more info. Also feel free to PM me.
Athenawithheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

I second "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" or checking out the SCD web site.

Following that sort of diet changed my life. I'd been feeling like crap for a long, long time (years) and i think following that diet was my turning point.

It's a hard diet to follow, very restrictive, but between that and eliminating wheat and other grains and starches, i noticed a huge difference in many areas of my health. Areas that you would not think were connected with diet.

Anyway, i don't follow it strictly, but i choose more foods now that are from the SCD allowable list because by nature of the diet, they are easily digestable foods. For example, i eat eggs and allowable cheeses more often now, more meats, I make the 24 hour yogurt, the dry-curd cottage cheese, and more vegitables, and less processed foods and starchy grains. I also love the chicken soup with pureed carrots recipe!

I would reccommend checking out the Specific Carbohydrate Diet to anyone with digestive issues. At least try to incorporate some of it into your lifestyle, or try the intro diet.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #12  

Swelling all over the body and shortness of breath could be a signal for heart disease. Get it checked out. I just had a nuclear stress test for the same reasons. Fortunately, my heart is fine and the swelling disappeared as quickly as it came on.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #13  

Been drinking loads of water and hibiscus tea, think it's helped but I'll still go see the doctor and get some tests done. Thanks for the advice.
Also, I find strange the fact that when trying to use exercise equipment/machines I get this kind of reaction (not as serious as this time though) but when I go back to yoga I feel a lot better.

Is that weird enough?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #14  
Mind over Body

S/C/G: 303/303/155

I find that if I move after I just eat, I can look forward to an irritated stomach and intestines and I can look forward to a bowl movement. My husband is sometimes amazed at quickly my system reacts to foods, especially to onions.
chicadee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #15  

Violet and Thkpink - I highly recommend seeing a second and maybe a third unrelated doctor to double check the diagnosis. I've had fibromyalgia, ibs, lactose intolerance and some other issues that I suffered with for ages due to docs who just shuffled me out the door. Demand better treatment. Neither of your symptoms sound like something they should send you home to just "deal with." Demand more follow up - demand another doctor with better bedside manner and more TIME listens to you. You don't deserve to suffer.
Chirpy is offline   Reply With Quote