Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-29-2005, 12:46 PM   #1  
I'm lovin my scale

Default my foot hurts

So, my left foot really hurts, i'm pretty much limping around right now. I had to skip this morning's walk/run, and i'm not at all happy about it. I'm not sure what caused the pain either. i've been doing the couch to 5k program, this week is week 5, and i've been doing just fine, a little soreness in the knees, but other than that nothing. However, one day last week as i was walking i got a pain in the bottom of my foot, i assumed it was because i'd picked up a little rock or something and just kept on trucking. I'm not so sure anymore. the pain is now on the side of my foot and it hurts with pretty much every step i take. So, while i know none of you can give me a medical diagnosis, has anyone else experienced anything similar, and could it be caused by wearing the wrong shoes? The shoes i've been running/walking in are really old( i bought them august 2003), and i've kept using them cause i just can't afford new ones, but if they're causing this pain i'll be forced to replace them, i hate missing my workout. Thanks for the help.
Christine
imsexydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #2  

Thumbs up

It sounds to me like plantar fasciitis. It's an overuse injury where the pain starts on the bottom of the heel or with a sharp jab-like pain in the arch. It hurts most first thing in the morning or at the beginning of exercise. If you work on it right away, it is easily treatable. I know because I've had it on and off, now chronically since I tried to run through the last bout and tore something.

If you can afford physio, it really helps. They'll probably use ultrasound and laser on it and give you some exercises to do. If no physio, I'd suggest the following: twice a day and after any running or long walks, ice your foot on and off for 15 min or so. Only wear supportive shoes: no bare feet or flat sandals, even around the house. Superfeet insoles for your runners are very, very good, although quite expensive. Cut back on your running if no improvement. And it would be a good idea to get new runners, preferably from a runners store where they can analyse your gait and find the right shoes for you.

For exercises, I think you can find them on the net. If not, PM me and I'll describe them to you. They involve NO expensive equipment at all.

Good luck with you running. I started with a learn to run class, and ended up regularly running 10 k races, even a marathon! I'd still be doing it if I'd listened to my feet screaming for help, and still hope to go back some day. Take care of those feet!

Carla

And by the way, none of the above suggestions could hurt you if it's not PF. They're all basic good runner's habits.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:37 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Sounds like PF to me too. Having had it myself also, I'll second what Carla says. And the no flat shoes/no bare feet is really important. I threw all mine away (except shower slippers for the gym ) and now wear only shoes with support. For slippers, I I use good wool clogs(i.e. Birkenstocks or similar brand); same for sandals. You can also get custom orthodics, but I'd try the supportive shoes or OTC inserts first. Be patient, this can take a long time to go away, though if you're careful, you can keep up your running program.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:08 PM   #4  
I'm lovin my scale

Thanks so much for the replies, it's a real relief to hear other folks have similar issues. I've iced the foot and been massaging it, i'm working on putting on real shoes as i spend most of my time in flip flops or just socks. Thanks again.
Christine
Old 06-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Your feet will thank you! And you're young - you're gonna want them to carry you around for a long long while yet!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:47 AM   #6  

I know this is going to sound silly, but ...

Take yourself to a drug store and buy an ankle support bandage. It looks like an ace bandage but is elastic all around. Sleep in in for a night or two - notice the difference. Ahhh. Should cost less than $10. It is my secret weapon ...
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #7  

Oh, sorry to hear about the pain. I have just been through eight months of plantars fascitis in both feet. I am still struggling. There are a few things that can go wrong with the foot so you may want to speak with your MD. If it happens to be PF, there is an awesome website. I don't have the address at my fingertips but I could get it for you. You may want to consult a podiatrist and my piece of advice is get rid of the runner and get yourself to the podiatrist and get an expensive well fitting pair of runner with orthotics to protect your foot from further harm. If you like sandals as much as I do, then get yourself a pair of Mephistos. They are expensive but worth the money and will last you years. I am wearing mine 24/7. They have a bit of a heel which is what you need while you heal your heel. I found my Birks to be too flat. Don't go barefoot! I didn't know what I had and did go barefoot on my hardwood floor - big big mistake! Depending on how bad your foot is, you may want to skip the running for awhile and bike (non-weight bearing) or swim (wear runners on the pool deck and in the water - doesn't matter what anyone things - those pool surfaces are too hard and flat for a PF foot) and make sure you are stretching your calf muscles out many times a day. If you go for a massage and let the therapist work on the calf muscle area it may also help. Icing is very important - get yourself some styrofoam cups (sorry environment!). Fill them 2/3 full and freeze them. Then morning, noon and night - as well as after any exercise - get the cup out, tear back the styrofoam and ice the heel for five to ten minutes (whatever you can tolerate). You can also freeze small water bottles and roll them under your heel from the front of your foot to the back.

I am sorry you are having this problem - it is ugly and painful. I have just spent hundreds consulting with folks on resolution to the problem and I am getting there - slowwwwlly! I own three pairs of shoes - Mephisto sandals and two pair of runners that are expensive and supportive but it is worth the money to me. PM me if you have any questions or if I can be of any help. Good luck!!
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

You're not alone with PF that's for sure I have Morton's Neuroma I went to see a chiropodist, he treated me with ultra sound and orthotics and I am a very very happy camper ... Listen to the advise above and for goodness sakes get new runners at a reputable running room it may cost more but your feet will thank you !
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #9  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

I agree with Ilene get some new shoes as well, you want to be as proactive in that as possible. You feet will thank you for them!
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #10  
I'm lovin my scale

Got new shoes yesterday. I love them, they've got pretty good arch support and they're pretty cushy too. Haven't tried them on the track yet, but they feel really good on my feet. Thanks again for all the advice.
Christine
Old 07-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #11  

Christine - All this talk about PF has motivated me to try again to improve my right foot. So I'm following my own advice! I actually went for a run/walk yesterday, and between icing and stretching, my foot doesn't feel any worse for it. So maybe there's hope for my feet after all.
Congrats on the new shoes. They always feel like pillows when they're new...
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #12  

Don't live with the pain. Plantar fasciitis responds very well to conservative treatment. Try some stable OTC arch supports along with the icing and other suggestions. If that doesn't work, see a podiatrist.
Seattle Podiatrist is offline   Reply With Quote