Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/223/125

Default becoming a runner?

Is there anyone here who likes to run? Or hates it but does it anyway?

I've done A LOT of walking -- last fall I even walked a half-marathon -- but I'd like to start transitioning into some running. I've tried to do this in the past, and enjoyed it immensely but always ended up getting hurt -- shinsplints, mostly. I assume I'm trying to do too much too soon, but I'm not sure how to do better.

I'd appreciate any advice you might have about this...
bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Run, or walk, to your local library and look for anything by John Bingham, aka "the Penguin". He has written a number of start to run books that have graduated walk/run programs that will take you from zero to 5 km without injury.
Happy reading!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #3  

go to a running store and invest in good shoes. a good running store will make you try pairs and then have you jog up and down the hall to try them out.

it is a good idea to look at a start to run book. there is also one on line at runner's world. Then start out slow. run 30-60 secs, walk 1-2 minutes for 20 minutes and then increase week by week. don't forget to stretch after! That is what i have been doing. i am running a 10k on the weekend and maybe a 10 miler in july.

i still don't enjoy it while i am running but like the feeling of accomplishment afterward.
good luck!
cestlavie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #4  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I just recently started the couch to 5k by coolrunnings.com

I tried running last fall but was too heavy and it hurt like you're talking about. At the weight I'm currently at I've got a pretty slow pace, but I'm not experiencing the joint pain. So possibly if you're interested I'd just retry every 15 or so lbs until it wasn't hurting.

you can pm if you need any more information.

Last edited by sprklemajik; 04-28-2009 at 06:50 PM.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Check out Runner's World magazine. I read that thing cover to cover! Running was something I had to learn to love. I really came to love it once I was able to run for about 30 minutes. Before that, it always felt like a chore. Something just clicked one day, and I was thinking, why am I not running for a full 30 minutes or an hour. It doesn't have to be a full-on sprint. I love to do a light little jog for about an hour about four to five days a week.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 286/157 (briefly) 170-180ish

Height: 5"9

I started back excercising around 3 months ago, and have been combining walking and running.
It seems that the best way to get in to it is to vary intensity, so walk for 10 mins to warm up, and stretch a little, then jog for a minute, walk for 3or 4 minutes, jog for a minute etc etc for as long as you plan to do that day, finish up with at least a 5 min walk to cool down.
You can then gradually increase the amount of time spent jogging.
I am actually quite enjoying it now, the only thing I would say is, don't be disheartened by the amount of time it takes to be able to run for a substantial length of time, just keep at it until you find that you can run for over a minute easily enough, and then start building from there - that might take as longas 4 weeks if say, you are working out 3 times a week for around 30/40 mins.
Also definitely as said above - good shoes, cushioning is the most important thing at this stage to lessen the impact on your joints.

Just keep it very gentle at the start, as you build it up, you find that when you get over the hump of 3 minutes, you will find that you can keep going for 10 at a time - posture is very important, focus on your core, and keeping your shoulders straight!!
Ellie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #7  
I'm Praying for a Miracle

S/C/G: 232/196/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

I started walking on the treadmill in March.. Now im jogging/running.
I do a mile in about 15 min.. im no pro. but i really enjoying it..
Proper shoes are important!! very important! since i been walking/jogging/ or running, my weight loss has been moving quicker.. LOL
Good Luck, i really love doing it..
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 91/68/65 kg

Height: 172 cm 5ft8

I absolutely HATED running at the start, but now it is my best friend, there is nothing in the world that makes me feel as good as i do after ive finished a good run!

Ive go myself up to about 8 km at the moment and am pushing for 10 which i hope to do by July. It hurts while your doing it, but it is so worth it!!

Im not sure what else to tell you except, stick it out, push throuhg those first few months and it WILL get better!
tarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #9  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Look up Galloway's program. It's a gentle run/walk combo that took this couch potato to 6, yeah, SIX 10 mile Crim races.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

I didn't used to like running, but like other's suggested, start out slow and find a running program you can follow. As well as having a good pair of shoes, read up on the proper technique!!
http://www.thesolemate.com/articles/...ing%20bock.pdf

This can help prevent shin-splints as well as knee problems, and is a heck of a lot easier to learn now, as a beginner.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I began by walking too. About -20 down, (Sept '08) I started running as far as I could, catching my breath and running again. I hated it at first. I now LOVE it. It is such a freedom to run. I can't explain it. I began with running about 1/10 a mile in the beginning--that's as far as I could go. I now run 5 miles plus without a problem. I highly suggest it. Be sure to stretch well before hand and have some comfortable shoes and a good sports bra. Everything else is just gravy.

By the way, without knowing it--by stopping and starting again I was in essence, running HIIT--High Intensity Interval Training. It is the most effective way to burn fat I found out later.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-28-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #12  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I'm one of the many who's tried Couch to 5K...I definitely recommend it to anyone. I started it last year, finished, and am now finally getting back into running again after a very long winter. I enjoy running. Before losing weight, even walking a few feet would get me out of breath, so running feels like a real accomplishment.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #13  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

There are good running threads in the Exercise Forum here, check them out. This board has a lot of runners -- both experienced and newbies!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 04-29-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I began by walking too. About -20 down, (Sept '08) I started running as far as I could, catching my breath and running again. I hated it at first. I now LOVE it. It is such a freedom to run. I can't explain it. I began with running about 1/10 a mile in the beginning--that's as far as I could go. I now run 5 miles plus without a problem. I highly suggest it. Be sure to stretch well before hand and have some comfortable shoes and a good sports bra. Everything else is just gravy.

By the way, without knowing it--by stopping and starting again I was in essence, running HIIT--High Intensity Interval Training. It is the most effective way to burn fat I found out later.
Last time I lost weight I did it the same way, I would go around the block where the university football stadium is in the evening (because I was self conscious and less people were around then) and I would run the length of the field, then walk and catch my breath, and before I knew it, I was able to run a lot more without stopping. I was on the cross country team in high school, and running is a great feeling, yes,I need to get back into it too. I usually walked at least a mile before even starting to run, and this was a few years ago and I was in great shape and lost 60 pounds despite the fact that I ate like a horse still.

And stretching, yeah, don't forget that. Ending up with shin splints sucks. Also once I ended up with tendinitis in both ankles because I overdid it and didn't stretch at all, and that was terrible. Good shoes, stretching, bottled water are all important things that I don't forget anymore.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #15  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

1) Invest in good running shoes - it's worth it! It will save you a lot of pain and frustration if you get fitted for a good shoe from the get-go. Try to avoid the big box stores like Big 5 or Sports Authority...go to real running store, where they will video tape you running on a treadmill and then find the right shoe for you! It's so worth it!

2) If you are big-chested like me, invest in a good sports bra. Enell makes great bras for larger chested ladies like myself.... I would not be able to run otherwise!

3) Start slow, slow, slow! It prevents injury and over training. Write down your results... when you feel like you're not making any progress, you can go back and look at where you were a few weeks ago and see the difference! I definitely recommend a plan like Couch to 5k. Runnersworld.com also has a great beginner running program.

I hated running in the beginning, but for some reason, I stuck with it. That was about 8 weeks ago and I've lost 15 lbs and several inches since. I LOVE it! I love the way it makes me feel, I love the feeling of accomplishment! I never thought I'd say that about running.... but I'm addicted to it now! When I started, I could barely run for a minute straight. Now I am up to 15 minutes and going farther and longer each week. And it works out so much more than your legs... When I run a 5k, my abs, glutes, etc. are always sore the next day.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote