Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/204/190

Height: 5'4

Default Will my arms ever get smaller?

I feel as though I have the largest arms of any woman, literally in the world haha. They are HUGE and 88lb later, they seem to be the only thing not getting smaller (well besides my thighs, but thats another story).

They do however seem to have gotten more saggy, flabby, and gross. I have no before pictures (the only thing I regret during all of this), so I can't really compare, they could have gotten smaller I just have not noticed yet.

Last edited by x0me880x; 04-28-2009 at 05:37 PM.
x0me880x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe you could do some weight lifting to tone up your arms- don't worry you won't bulk up like a male does.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #3  
starting over...

S/C/G: 240/240/120

Height: 5'2"

I have huge arms too and just started working on them. they're gross! I got that fat that kinda folds over your elbow....ew
Anyway, free weights seem to be helping. Look online for toning exercises. I use 2 10lb dumbbells so I won't bulk up too much... just a thought.
ac95srq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Just to clear confusion- women do not "bulk up" our bodies aren't like men's bodies- we tone up, those women you see in those body building contests take steriods to get that way. Average exercisers just wanting to lose weight and tone (talking about women) don't bulk up! My trainer used to exercise an hour and a half daily and did all sorts of weights and was like a size 2!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I second the weight training. I was worried about bulking up years ago, but at this point, well, even if I did bulk up a little bit, the muscle would help fill in loose skin, so it wouldn't be that bad. I'd take muscley arms over flabby arms!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'd like to second, third, and fourth incorporating weight training. It makes a GIGANTIC difference in terms of muscle tone. And most women, as beerab said, can't get "bulky", though some women (some with PCOS, for example) get bigger than others. But I really think it was one of the BEST things I could do to make my "bat wings" less prominent.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/157 (briefly) 170-180ish

Height: 5"9

If you've kept any of your old clothes - try ona top now that used to be tight on your arms, and compare that way?
Also measure them now so you do have something to compare to as you progress, and as above do a little weight training, or even body resistance training can be great, and there are some good simple excercises you can do that way!
Ellie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #8  
BELIEVE!

I'm with you on the arm issue. It's my least favorite body part right now...especially with summer approaching. I am having the hardest time finding shirts that I like that cover my arm to the elbow!

I'm sure they have shrunk and you don't realize it. Start taking measurements and pictures. Mine have shrunk but I still have a long way to go with them.

Ditto to what others said....lift weights. I'd recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". You are not going to bulk up...learn the right way to lift and lift heavy. You'll love it! Well...I do.

Keep on keeping on....you'll get there!

BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #9  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I haven't lost a centimeter on my arms. It does drives me crazy!!!
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #10  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Yes your arms will get smaller and like others have said, what you want to do is lift weights. Don't bother with 2 lbs weights, they are essentially useless. You want to work your way up to 10s, 15s, 20s then 25 and beyond if you can. I wholeheartedly endorse The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is amazing. I haven't lost a pound in the last 2 months since I started weightlifting seriously...but I have lost two whole sizes and my arms are A LOT smaller and tighter. I still have a long way to go, but I'll get there. Don't be scared, you will NOT bulk up. It's just not possible to do that under normal circumstances. I build muscle Very Easily and I haven't bulked up.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Maybe I am an anomlie (sp?) but I ONLY use 2 pound weights and do push ups. I can't say my arms are tiny but they are definitely toned. (Pics are in goal forum. )

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-28-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #12  
sugar is the devil

My arms are my problem areas too...

Nothing worst than trying on a shirt... and everything fits EXCEPT the arms are way to tight.

I can't wait for the day when I don't have that problem. I agree with the above, toning/weight exercises are the way to go.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #13  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Your arms can't be the hugest ever because mine already are! Seriously, though, this is a major problem for me too, and it feels like they haven't gotten any smaller. I know they have because I've measured since the beginning and I have before pictures, but they're still really huge and I am very self-conscious about them.

I lift (with heavy weights, i.e. up to 25 lbs., and have done for over a year) and it's helped, but I still have lots of fat covering the muscle, and, of course, I'm rocking the bat wings. I don't mean to be Debbie Downer or anything, I'm just saying that for some of us, weight training is unfortunately not going to work miracles.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #14  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Thighs, doing the bodyweight work, pushups, is great. I really don't think the 2 lb weights are doing much for you though...but I'm not a professional bodybuilder and we are all different, so I may be wrong. We have a lot of other folks on the board who know more about it than me. Just my personal experience, and what I've read, says heavier weights build muscle. I like to say, if I had liposuction on my arms tomorrow they'd be indistinguishable from Linda Hamilton's. Thank you 25 lb weights.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #15  
Gaining Attitude

S/C/G: 205 / 193 / 145

Height: 5'5

Hey, right there with you - I have oodles of major problem spots I should probably be more concerned about - but the arms - egads! Every summer for most of my life (even when I was thin they were flabby) I never went sleeveless. They have even gotten all lumpy underneath with this last weight gain. UGH. I did notice when I was going through the mini-goal photo album though, that people do lose weight seemingly in different parts of their body every twenty pounds. There's a lovely girl there who seems to have lost a lot of weight in her upper arms almost last. So yes, I have to agree with other posters - of course it will come off. And probably already has, just you don't see it. Don't you despair :-)

DCHound - thanks for sharing that information about your experience - it's good to know as I start to phase in regular weightlifting workouts to my journey. I have no idea what to expect. Uncharted territory. Never worked out in MY LIFE!
bobblefrog is offline   Reply With Quote