PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #1  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Question met, hunger and queasiness

Has anyone found that when you're on Metformin and you get hungry, that you get really queasy?

I went camping this weekend out in the sticks and around 3am, I woke up feeling very nauseated. Got the keys to the car from DH and ate a banana and a piece of bread (in the cold- it was about 37F/3C outside). Kept an emergency banana and some leftover chocolate Easter eggs (about 5 mini ones) in the tent with me in case it happened again. Last night at the same time, I woke up and had a piece of bread with a bit of peanut butter on it. About a week ago, the same thing happened: up at 3am, but didn't eat and felt sick the whole day, even after eating breakfast. Afterwards, I felt fine.

It's not every night, only nights where I don't eat much for dinner- i.e., last night was homemade tacos (had 2 regular sized ones). When I was camping, it was a single hamburger with 2 patties. The other nights we had a bit of dessert from the shop (an ice cream cone each-- I was tramping all day) and a more substantial dinner.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

I don't have the stomach upsets, which I'm thankful for. Up to 1500mg a day, increasing by 500mg every week till I hit 3000.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Yes, this happens to me, too. I think it's because your blood sugar gets low. It only happens to me when I get SUPER hungry, like an hour after my stomach has been growling. I just know to keep healthy snacks with me, and try not to let my hunger get to that point. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #3  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Thanks Genki. I don't like having to keep food on me (even fruit!) since it's all a temptation. I know it's there and I'll eat it. Though, I do have 2 pineapple lumps in my purse and haven't touched them yet.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

When I was taking metformin I'd vomit every single morning! I think it was cuz my stomach was empty as well. I finally couldn't take it anymore and got off of it cuz I was worried about my teeth.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #5  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

It doesnt seem to bother me yet, but I usually go to bed on a full stomache. Maybe you can eat a before bedtime snack to help?
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I tried everything- I have been off of metformin for a few months and I am so happy not wake up to vommiting every singly morning!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #7  
I'm Praying for a Miracle

S/C/G: 232/196/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Happens to me all the time.. thats why its so hard for me to diet on met..
So i have to eat like 5 small meals a day..a nd usually that will fix that problem..
but if i drink more than a can of soda.. in about 15 min. I run to the bathroom.
i basically dont eat anything big for lunch or breakfast because im at work and cant keep running to thebathroom..
they say these problems go away..
but not with me..
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think it's low blood sugar, because I used to experience this even before I was prescribed the metformin. Before metformin, I'd only ever experienced it on Atkins induction (which is why it took me so many years to find that a relatively, but not too low carb diet seems to work best for me), and in high school and college and when my "dieting" skirted eating disorder.

Now on metformin, instead of 12 - 18 hours between meals causing the symptoms, it only takes about 5 to 7 hours.

Losing weight is challenging, but I try to pick as high fiber food as I can (which I also have to balance, because of IBS) and eat frequent small meals (snack-sized, really).

At first, it was difficult to adjust to the idea of rarely eating a meal-sized meal, but on the plus side, my stomach has shrunk in response to eating small meals. I never thought I'd find a 9 oz frozen dinner to be "perfect size."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote