PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #1  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Default candida overgrowth and PCOS?

This is sort of a sensitive topic, I suppose, but I'm wondering if anyone with PCOS has noticed a correlation between that and yeast infection.

I will say up front that I've never been diagnosed with PCOS. I have many symptoms, but I haven't pressed the issue with my doctor because I've been able to lose weight thus far (albeit very, veeery slowly), and after talking to a couple close friends who *have* been diagnosed, I'm not sure I want to deal with the meds unless I run out of weight loss options.

I've been having problems with candida overgrowth, though, and I've read a little bit online about possible connections between candida and PCOS. So my question is: do you notice a correlation, and has following a PCOS-friendly diet helped eliminate the yeast problems? I already follow a high protein/low carb diet, but I don't pay much attention to sugar intake and I am a caffeine junkie, so I might be my own worst enemy here.

I did poke around the forum a bit to see if this has been addressed in the past, but I didn't find anything. If I missed a thread by all means, point me at it! Thanks.

Last edited by thistoo; 04-18-2009 at 11:27 AM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I haven't had many problems with a yeast infection- I think in my whole life I've only had it once and that was when I was like 13 years old.

You don't have to take the medications, I have PCOS and went on metformin and spironolactone and didn't see results anyways and after like 2 years of being on both I quit. I told my doctor I'm DONE with the pills and haven't looked back. She told me if I don't want to take them anymore it's totally fine. And metformin was making me sick anyways- when I realized that metformin was the reason I was vomiting in the mornings she said we could lower my dosage or I could stop. I chose to stop.

I would say if you are getting yeast infections often you might want to look into some herbal supplements you can take to help- my friend used to get constant bladder infections and now takes cranberry pills and has much less problems. I believe for yeast infections the suggestion is to not wear very tight clothes, use COTTON panties, do not use tampons or sanitary napkins with the fragrances/deodorants on them, and so on.

I believe my mom's friend takes grapefruit pills and this helps with yeast infections.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #3  
Kittyno

S/C/G: 212/190/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Just FYI

I just wanted to mention that grapefruit is bad for anyone who takes Met or birth control, and a lot of other meds. it increases or decreases the concentration of the meds in your blood, and it can be really bad. People have to be very careful!
kittyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #4  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I've started to wonder if I've got PCOS actually... and I CONSTANTLY have problems with yeast infections and bacterial infection... it drives me nuts because I've tried EVERYTHING. Or it feels like... *sigh* I think, one of these days when I get the money scrounged up (it took me 2 months to save for a blood test and then got diagnosed as a Vitamin D deficiency), I'm going to see what my gyno says about all my suspicions.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote