Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 10:18 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias -- #194

Good Evening, Flowers!
Long time no see . . . it's been three weeks to be exact. I was called home because my dad was put in the hospital. To make a long story short, he was moved into the Hospice room and died on the 4th. Because of the weekend, the funeral was Monday and then I stayed a couple of extra days to work on the legal matters and write thank yous.

I haven't had time to read any of the posts but noticed the last one had two pages so decided to start a new one.

I hope all is well with you all and I'm anxious to get caught up on the posts.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-10-2002, 02:27 PM   #2  

Dear Jean,
So sorry to hear about your dad. Hospice is wonderful. My former pastor's sister is with Hospice now. Having lost both parents and a spouse, I feel blessed to have had strong support from my family, church family and friends. Having recited the Apostle's Creed all my life, and firmly believing in the Resurrection really helped.
Just know you've been greatly missed by us all. I hope you'll be able to wait until Monday before going back to school. Somehow, the bad guys can always detect when we're down, and find ways to capitalize on it.
Fondly,
Bubbles
Old 10-10-2002, 02:29 PM   #3  

Hi Maggie,
the glasses are wonderful! I can hardly feel them on my face! She said they'd take a couple of days to adjust to, but I'm thrilled already.
Off to get some pelletized lime to put in my front yard where the moss is growing, as it's supposed to rain tonight.
Later,
Bubs
Old 10-10-2002, 03:40 PM   #4  
Web Nana

Good Afternoon Magnolias

JEAN: I am so for your troubles. It was good that you could be with your dad before he died. Hope you can take a few more days, at least until Monday, before you have to start back to school. As Bubbles said 'They know when you are not up to par'.

BUBBLES: What kind of glasses do you have? When I got my tri-focals, it was great. No more moving the head up and down to read the newspaper and walking up and down stairs is no longer difficult. That 3rd focal plane makes the difference.

MAGGIE: Hope all is well with you and Cowboy. Is the weather any cooler?

DH & I went to the 3rd grade musical about Christopher Columbus. It was some production. Cam was one of the Royal Guards around Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand. We had a ball. The kids did such a good job and the young fellow playing Christopher had 2 solos and had great stage presence and not a bad voice for a third grader. Both sets of grandparents and Mom took Cam out for an ice cream after. It was fun!

Gloria in MA....the laundry is calling my name.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:49 PM   #5  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's been a beautiful day here, sunny and bright blue sky. Even though the calendar says it is October I am still in September mode. I did manage to get rid of some of my piles and rearrange the rest.

I don't think that I mentioned that my stepgrandmother also died while I was home with my dad. She was 90 years old and in failing health for the last couple of years. Her funeral was in northern MN so I didn't attend.

Today I got a letter in the mail from the clerk of court and I've been selected for jury duty for Oct., Nov., and Dec. That will make my principal's day . . . we just had 4 teachers get off. None of them had to serve but when there is jury selection, you have to be there so the school has to have subs ready to go.

I need to get busy on the dust bunnies tomorrow. It appears that Beth is bringing a young man home on Sunday. We have not met him before so it will be interesting. Jason and Amanda will also be here so it should be fun. I hope the weather is nice so that we can grill something.

Bubs -- Thank you for your thoughts and welcome back. I can't imagine not having family and friends to help get through the sad times. The nurses and staff were wonderful but having family around sure helps.

Gloria -- The play sounds like it was fun! One of the teachers called tonight and it sounds like I have a pile waiting on my desk. Oh well, what doesn't get done will be there the next day. I've decided that since the students don't turn things in on time, I'm in no hurry to get assignments corrected and returned to them.

Maggie -- I hope that Will is on the road to recovery. Keep us posted. Thanks for the paw print email.

I need to fold some towels so best get moving. Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-10-2002, 10:11 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Thursday....

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

We got a lot done this day toward moving just about 30 miles down the road. A friend from town finished loading all the fire wood we had collected while here to burn in their fireplace this winter. We couldn't use any of it because of the fire ban here so are glad his family will enjoy it.

We sure hope we will find out more tomorrow when Cowboy will have his operation. He goes in for his CT scan and cyst drainage. He says he doesn't feel like that cyst filled up again so we will see what tomorrow's exam brings. Needless to say he is getting quite tired of this whole episode.

JEAN those papers can wait! Grilfriend you are behind the time big time back in September for today is the 10th insteand of the first. (I realize that was a typo on your part but had to get in that dig ) Good to have you back. What fun to have Beth bring home a beau. You will have a family reunion there ~ enjoy it all. I never ever got picked to serve on a jury when called because of my profession. I always wanted to serve though.

GLORIA what fun that play must have been. I love going to the kids performances. I am sure you are a proud grandparent!

BUBBLES hope you like your new specks ~ did you get the blended lenses? I have blended lenses and love them. I also have contacs but don't use them much because of cat hair that floats around here so much and gets in my eyes.

Have a good evening.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:37 PM   #7  

Happy Friday, Flowers!
It's another beautiful day here although it is supposed to hit 23 degrees tomorrow night and start raining tonight. The leaves are pretty in spite of our dry summer. The crops are looking good; DH has been out helping with the harvest.

Maggie -- I missed where Will is going to have surgery. What are "they" going to do to him and when? I will keep you both in my prayers. I'm hoping I won't get selected for the jury as I'm not sure I will be able to concentrate very well. This will be the third time I have been called and did serve on the other two. Maybe if I am lucky they will all settle before the trial begins. We still have to show up and wait it out though.

Have a nice day, Flowers. I am off to get a much needed perm.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-11-2002, 03:40 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Back from the hospital: They couldn't drain the cyst on his liver today during the CT scan because it really isn't a cyst afterall but a hemotoma. Seems it came from an old injury and is drying up now because the previous drainings helped it out. Since it never was infected they probably wouldn't have even found it if his gall-bladder hadn't acted up and they saw that bubble on his liver during the ultra sound examination and became quite concerned with it. Now it seems all is left to do is leave it alone and take out his gall-bladder. We will get a date set for that hopefully soon.

Hope everyone is having a lovely Friday.

Tomorrow is my and Cowboy asked where I would like to go out to eat. I have chosen Red Lobster in hopes they have fresh Red Snapper.

Catch you on the rebound.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:21 PM   #9  
Web Nana

MAGGIE: Wonderful news about Cowboy. Once he has his gallbladder out he will be a new man!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Enjoy and I hope they have your red snapper.

Gloria in MA....couldn't resist sending this short message.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:21 PM   #10  

Maggie,
Happy Birthday to you! Enjoy your snapper! I'd think in CA. there would be places to get fresh seafood you know wasn't shipped in from wherever.
My new specs are fab! They're tinted Veralux lenses, trifocal, with a titanium frame. If golf shafts are made from Titanium, surely my frame will stay together! They're so light I don't even realize they're on my face! It was worth the $$ I think.
Jean,
So glad you had some time off. Enjoy your perm. I gave those up a long time ago. I do color, but that's it. With retirement I chucked makeup, perms and pantyhose!
Tomorrow is the big day in the 'burg. It's called TOOT, or Taste of Our Town. The main street is closed for three blocks and lined with food booths manned by local civic organizations. The proceeds are shared between the vendors and Carnegie Hall, the one here, not the one in NYC. We have the only other Carnegie Hall in the world, and it's wonderful. It's just been restored, the acoustics are wonderful, and we have some wonderful concerts there. we've had folks like Isaac Stern and Wynton Marsalis, to name just a few. Entertainers like coming here because the Greenbrier puts them and their entourage up for the night. Check out the Greenbrier Hotel on the web.......it really is spectacular..........one of the last of the grand old hotels.
My son is home and looking hungry. Guess that's a hint.
Have a great weekend.
Bubs
Old 10-12-2002, 02:05 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Thumbs down My Birthday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful cool day in the neighborhood.

I trust you are having a fine start to a wonderful weekend. Be safe what ever you chose to do.

I decided not to go to the Red Lobster today for my Red Snapper but to wait and go after we have moved and Cowboy can better eat a meal out. I will enjoy it so much more when he is all well and can enjoy the outing. Cowboy gave me a huge boquet of flowers and ordered my personal license plate for my Mustang. It will say 1D FOAL when it arrives. I am so pleased with that ~ he is so good to me. Thank those of you that wished me a happy day! My mother has invited us over this afternoon and my older sis from down south and her husband will be there. She said she didn't bake me a but did make some s! I am just having a lazy moring and enjoying it so much sipping a hot cup of hazelnut coffee through a straw.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:25 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The sun is out after a morning of rain . . . now it is raining leaves. Our trees are late to drop their leaves and sometimes we even have some hanging on during the winter. We don't rake as DH just mows them into the bag with the mower.

Maggie -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I intended to get in early and be the first to wish you a wonderful ! I'm glad that the medical report is a good one! I'm sure you will enjoy your Red Lobster dinner at a later date, when Will is on the mend and feeling better. Enjoy your time with your family and eat a birthday cookie for me! I can smell the flowers from here -- lucky you!

Bubbles -- Your TOOT celebration sounds like a fun one. I'm going to check out the hotel after I am done here. I needed the perm badly and I think she finally did it the way I wanted it for once. I'll know after I wash it tomorrow. I tried to color my hair and didn't like the results; I haven't been brave enough to try it again.

Gloria -- Come back when you can stay longer!

Tomorrow is my birthday and I may not make it in here since the kids are coming home. My original plan was to go visit them but they all wanted to come here instead. I'm not cooking . . . the guys are grilling and the gals are bringing everything else.

Have a relaxing weekend, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-12-2002, 06:13 PM   #13  
Web Nana

Good Evening Magnolias

JEAN: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Hope you have a great day. No cooking sounds like my idea of a great day. When someone else grills for me that is even better. Enjoy your family.

Maggie: I think that is great to postpone your eating out til Will can join in the fun. I am sure that time will come before you know it. What does ID FOAL mean. I know it has something to do with horses!!!! LOL

BUBS: Your TOOT festival sounds like a fun time. I love things like that when you can taste as small bit of a lot of different things.

We have the kids and grandkids coming in on Monday and I am planning on a Turkey etc. It will be a one oven meal. Should be interesting with 6 out of 9 GK's coming!!!

Gloria in MA......have a great Sunday and holiday!
Old 10-12-2002, 08:35 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Still My Birthday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

We had a great time at my folks house. My sis brought me a new small plastic chopping board that won't dull knives. My Bro-in-law stopped by Sir La Table on the way so she could get that especially for me. What a neat guy.

JEAN I ate one cookie for you and one for me! They were so good and I thoroughly enjoyed spending points on them. I savored each bite with a great cup of coffee. Hope your is a good gathering tomorrow. Happy Day to you! Another perm? Seems like you just had one ~ time does fly doesn't it. Better to have time fly and not your hair. I don't do perms but do color ~ my hair is long and I keep it in a nice knot on top of my head or a braid.

GLORIA My new lisence is 1D FOAL which means wonderful. Say it fast one-d-foal. The idea came from my having a Mustang since my number one choice of YIPEKIO was already taken and my car is a wonderful gift from my Cowboy. That turkey sounds like a great idea for your upcoming crowd. Easy dinner to do and serves a lot. Enjoy.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:45 PM   #15  

Jean,
Happy B'day to you too! Sounds like you and Maggie had parents who thoroughly enjoyed their summer vacations:~} My husband's birthday was Oct. 2, and my dad's Oct. 18..........busy month for a long time.
It's been gray and getting colder today. Supposed to have a chance of frost tonight. I'd gone down to the river to visit my friend Ann in her new house, and when I returned, Mike had turned the thermostat up above 80! He's got the crud and doesn't feel real swift, but there's a limit! We've had a heart to heart about that.
TOOT was fun. Lot's of people we don't see very often. I had a veggie Reuben, small, and last night we went out to a deli type restaurant where I had a Tuna Steak Nicoise(whatever that means) salad. It was delish, so I don't think I did too badly considering all the goodies that were available. Saw several of the WW members gals. They see me, and if they're eating something they shouldn't, get embarrassed and begin to aplogize or explain. I wish they didn't feel that way. They sure don't have to justify their actions to me! TOOT is only one day a year, so live it up.
Maggie,
I'm sure you'll be glad to have postponed the b'day dinner. Glad you explained the license tag.........I love it. I'm a horse person, so was trying to figure it out, but never even gave the mustang a thought. I think they call it being brain dead.
Guess I"d best go figure out something interesting for supper......if I win the lottery, I'll hire a fulltime housekeeper and cook first thing.
Have a good week youall,
Bubs
Closed Thread