Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW: 183/ CW: 183/ GW: 150

Height: 5'2

Default 6 lbs by Friday!

Not sure if it can be done, but I'd like to try. I think a lot of my weight that I've put on in the past couple weeks is water weight. I plan on eating well this week, doing Jillian Michael's DVD, and going out for walk/jogs.

THis morning I was at 176.5 and I'd like to see 170 by the weekend.

My goal after that is to weigh 167 by Mother's day.
Niki4184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning!

If it is water ...

But all that aside, you can make a wonderful start and good progress by Mother's Day. Have you had a look at any of the challenges? Daily support is really nice.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Niki -- Welcome to 3fc! I have a couple of questions for you actually...

If a lot of what you've gained IS water weight, then won't it go away on it's own? Or rather, won't it go away if you just hold the salt and drink plenty of water?

You might get the scale down 6 pounds, but you won't lose 6 pounds of fat by Friday. Isn't that the goal, really? To lose fat and find ways to keep it off? I would encourage you to think long-term and not worry so much about short term goals that might be unattainable and that if you don't meet them will just depress you.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but rather help you look at the situation more realistically. Good luck!

Last edited by Heather; 04-27-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #4  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I agree with Heather... this is a long-term thing. Doctors recommend losing no more than 2 lbs of fat per week... yes, you could lose more than that in water weight... but it's just water, and water will go away on it's own.

I am not trying to discourage you, I am just trying to make sure that you go about this journey with the right mind set. Too many times I got too focused on the numbers on the scale, and I failed because of it. Yes, weight is one factor in the equation... but so is muscle mass, body measurements, fat %... and the scale can never tell you any of those numbers. Just try not to get caught up in "losing as much weight as possible in as short of time as possible" - because that way of thinking almost always leads to failure.

Good luck hun, I am sure you will have a fabulous start, and will make progress by Mother's day!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #5  

Thanks for the advice ladies, yes I do want long term success! I honestly dont know if it was water weight or not but maybe that is just what I was hoping. I've gained like 8 lbs in the past month and it's so discouraging. I want to lose so badly but I feel like I've forgotten 'HOW' to lose weight. In many ways I just don't know what to do anymore.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #6  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Niki- Just take it a day at a time! You don't have to "get it" all at once. Start making small changes and go from there...

Cut out 100 calories a day and try to get at least 20 minutes of moderate exercise in a day. Make small changes- don't drink soda anymore, take smaller portions, put more veggies on your plate in exchange for higher calorie foods, cut down on processed grains.... small steps. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, go for a walk after work, do a little exercise during commercial breaks... there are a million ways to make small changes that don't make you feel like you are changing everything all at once.

As you begin to lose weight, tweak and modify depending on how you feel. You know yourself best. Slowly increase the intensity of your exercise... slowly decrease your calories over time. When something doesn't work, re-evaluate.

Most importantly, make sure to give yourself credit for every success, big or small. Learning to enjoy the changes and celebrate them helps to make the process so much easier. When you hit a big goal... treat yourself with a non-food item. For every 5 lbs of weight loss, I have a "treat" set up to reward myself with... a manicure, a new bottle of perfume, some sexy lingerie... things that make me feel good about myself.

We're all cheering for you! If you have questions, ask them! We're all here to help each other.

By the way, we have pretty similar stats. I started at about 167, and I am also 5'2"

Last edited by LittleMoonRabbit; 04-27-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #7  

Thanks again, I'm so glad that I found this place because I am a forum addict, for other things in my life (children's clothing). By finding this site I hope that I'm able to focus on myself. I love the advice I'm getting.

I have to laugh at the stop drinking soda because what am I doing right now? Drinking diet coke!

I used to be so good at losing weight and I hope that I can get that back. Today I'm celebrating my 7th wedding anniversary, and I'm 35 lbs heavier and have 2 kids. I've lost the self confidence that I once had and I feel that the support I will get here will continue to be amazing.

Thanks so much.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #8  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Ambitious goals are fun to visualize initially, but are you setting yourself up for more disappointment?

When I started my current weight loss journey on April 1, I really really wanted to set a mini-goal of 15 lbs by May 13 (office is going to an expo in Las Vegas).

Thinking more about it, I dropped my mini-goal to 10 lbs. 15 may be doable, but 10 lbs almost guarantees me a success and that great "success-ey" feeling. Especially early on in my journey, I'd rather feel happy and successful about the progress I've made than disappointed because I haven't come far enough.

But like others, I say go for it! Whether or not you attain your goal, you've made a good start!
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am really not fond of time-based goals. Let me explain.

Let's say that you say "I'm going to lose 8 lbs by two weeks from now". That's an ambitious goal! If you lost 4 lbs, a high-end-healthy rate of loss, you might be OK with it, but if you're like most people, rather than celebrating the awesome victory of a 4 lb loss, you feel like you failed for only getting halfway to your goal. Over time, that sort of thinking gets a bit destructive.

So just do your best, see what water weight falls off, and let it be. Every ounce lost is a victory, even if it isn't quite as much as you thought/hoped it would be.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I am really not fond of time-based goals. Let me explain.

Let's say that you say "I'm going to lose 8 lbs by two weeks from now". That's an ambitious goal! If you lost 4 lbs, a high-end-healthy rate of loss, you might be OK with it, but if you're like most people, rather than celebrating the awesome victory of a 4 lb loss, you feel like you failed for only getting halfway to your goal. Over time, that sort of thinking gets a bit destructive.

So just do your best, see what water weight falls off, and let it be. Every ounce lost is a victory, even if it isn't quite as much as you thought/hoped it would be.

Very true! I see what you mean!