South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #1  
Just Beachy...

S/C/G: 210/188/164 (mini goal)

Height: 5'6"

Default PLEASE...Help me make this dessert Ph 1- or 2-friendly!

PLEASE help me make this recipe Phase 1 or 2 friendly!! I am sooo craving it and it is soooooo easy.

I am not worried about the coffee liquor b/c I have make it without and it was fine. I have also used some espresso powder with success.

I am not worried about the crust b/c I actually just prefer it poured into glasses and served as mousse.

I sometimes add plain coconut or cayenne for added flavor so that it fine.

I am mainly worried about the chocolate chips and the honey. I could probably used blue agave nectar but I'd probably need more than a tablespoon. I could probably also use some Splenda. What about the chocolate chips?? I do not think that cocoa powder will do it...it needs the richness and creaminess of the chips. How about some cocoa powder and some firmer tofu? Or is there a chocolate chip out there that IS approved in a largre 2 cup quantity for a dessert?

Thank you sooooo much in advance for your help!!

Moo-less Chocolate Pie

Prep Time: 2 hr 10 min
Yield: 8 servings

[B}Ingredients:[/B]
2 cups chocolate chips
1/3 cup coffee liqueur
1 block silken tofu
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon honey
1 prepared chocolate wafer crust

Directions:
Place a small metal bowl over a saucepan with simmering water. Melt the chocolate and coffee liqueur in the bowl. Stir in vanilla.

Combine the tofu, chocolate mixture, and honey in the blender jar. Liquefy until smooth.

Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until the filling is set.
262mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #2  
it's always something

That sounds delicious

The first thing I would do would be to serve as a pudding and get rid of the crust. You could crush a few South Beach cookies and sprinkle over the top. Instead of chocolate chips (loaded with sugar), go with the cocoa, but increase your sweetener. Use agave instead of honey, as you considered. I tried a recipe from the Engine 2 Diet (a vegan diet) which was delicious.

1 package Silken Lite Soft tofu
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
Blend all the ingredients until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled.

I really don't recall how much agave nectar you can have per day on South Beach, so maybe someone can help there. You might be able to use less agave and add some splenda. The agave adds texture and richness which splenda can't, so I wouldn't trade it all out.

Then eat small portions Again, I can't swear this is SB friendly, it's been a while since I checked the rules and I no longer have a book.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

There are sugar-free chocolate chips on the market, but I've never seen them. If you can find them, they'd be great for this recipe. And I would go ahead and substitute agave nectar for the honey, but you may not need the full tablespoon. Would this work as well with SF syrup?

Thanks for helping with your suggestions, Suzanne. I think we can have about 2 tablespoons of agave nectar a day, but I don't think there's a conclusive answer about it.

This recipes does sound good. Let us know how it turns out, 262mom2three.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

i looked at the nutrition info on agave nectar at trader joes the other day, and it was 60 calories per tablespoon. your recipe makes 8 servings, so it would probably be okay to sub that. as far as the chocolate chips go, the recipe for mocha riccota creme in the sbd book calls for 5 mini chocolate chips, doesn't say anything about sf version, so maybe chips are okay as an occasional thing. maybe use half the amount of chips, plus cocoa powder and a little more vanilla.
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #5  
Just Beachy...

Thank you so much the suggestions! I will definitely try this later this week and let you know how it turns out! TY!! I am going to TRY to find the SF chips...we'll see...
Old 04-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

• You could try using unsweetened chocolate and add sweetener.
  • Or you could try SF chocolate chips (here's one kind--I haven't tried them, but the reviews are good).
  • Or (what I would do, besides trying Suzanne's suggestion), you could try a mix of the unsweetened chocolate and sweetener with some real dark chocolate (we're allowed 1 oz a week on P 2 & 3).

Here are some other sources for SF chocolate chips.

My favorite brand (Eat Well, Be Well) was discontinued. I've used others, but none that I could highly recommend. Apparently, my favorites are now being produced under this label:

CarbSmart Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (This one uses acesulfame potassium and Splenda)

Others:
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #7  
Just Beachy...

Thank you so much, Laurie! I was looking into the CarbSmart chocolates yesterday. I think I read somehting about Dove's SF dark chocolate being pretty good. My cousin, who is on a low carb diet, suggested chopping up some good SF chocolate. Now...I'll just have to find it. I like your 3rd suggestion...definitely a possibility. I am just trying to figure out how to get the creaminess and bulk that the chips would have lent without delving headfirst into the SF candy world. TY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
  • You could try using unsweetened chocolate and add sweetener.
  • Or you could try SF chocolate chips (here's one kind--I haven't tried them, but the reviews are good).
  • Or (what I would do, besides trying Suzanne's suggestion), you could try a mix of the unsweetened chocolate and sweetener with some real dark chocolate (we're allowed 1 oz a week on P 2 & 3).

Here are some other sources for SF chocolate chips.

My favorite brand (Eat Well, Be Well) was discontinued. I've used others, but none that I could highly recommend. Apparently, my favorites are now being produced under this label:

CarbSmart Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (This one uses acesulfame potassium and Splenda)

Others:
Old 04-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #8  
I can do this!

I hear you, 262! You certainly could chop up some good SF chocolate bars in place of chips. I think if you use unsweetened baking chocolate (the kind sold in wrapped 1 oz portions in a box in the baking aisle) that you sweeten, you'll get the body and creaminess of the chips without the sugar. Those have all the cocoa butter and stuff that cocoa powder wouldn't. Just a thought.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #9  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 262mom2three View Post
I think I read somehting about Dove's SF dark chocolate being pretty good.
DOVE HAS SF DARK CHOCOLATE?????
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #10  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

What about using some DaVinci SF Kahlua syrup for some of the coffee liqueur ingredient? This would also take the place of the honey ingredient.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #11  
Just Beachy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
I hear you, 262! You certainly could chop up some good SF chocolate bars in place of chips. I think if you use unsweetened baking chocolate (the kind sold in wrapped 1 oz portions in a box in the baking aisle) that you sweeten, you'll get the body and creaminess of the chips without the sugar. Those have all the cocoa butter and stuff that cocoa powder wouldn't. Just a thought.
Ohhhhhh...THAT is a great idea!! Definitely going to try that!! THANK YOU!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #12  
Just Beachy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezle View Post
DOVE HAS SF DARK CHOCOLATE?????
Hi Weezle,

There are three SF flavors: http://www.dovechocolate.com/products_chocolate_p3.html
If they are SBD-friendly, enjoy!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #13  
I can do this!

I like the raspberry kind. But I wouldn't use them in baking...I don't think they'd work well. Just my thought.

Mizski, using Kahlua SF syrup is a GREAT idea!