South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/244/140

Height: 5' 4"

Default Cant I just skip phase 1

Cant I just skip phase 1 and start right on phase 2? if not than please explain why, I dont eat alot of carbs, but I dont know if I can do without my wheat bread and brown rice for that long. Thanks
momof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:30 AM   #2  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

YES you can - from the SBD Book it says :::

"Do you have ten or more pounds to lose? Do you have food cravings for refined starches or sugars? If you replied YES to either question - Phase 1 IS for you. If you answered NO to both questions - you can begin the diet with phase 2."

Phase 1 is designed to get RID of sugar cravings, and make the rest of the diet/lifestyle easier.

It's *just* two weeks and afterwards you're allowed wheat bread and brown rice. It is absolutely WORTH it to struggle through the two weeks in my opinion!! If you do it right - after three days, you feel fantastic and you can't wait to keep going - barely missing the bread and rice. The first three or so days are the hardest - and after that, it's easy beachin'! Just stick with it!!!!

Last edited by GradPhase; 04-27-2009 at 02:30 AM.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #3  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I started with PH2. At the time I started I had a lot of fruit in the house and didn't want to wait until I used it up to begin SB. I also did not eat junk food or refined white carbs and was keeping my starches pretty low so I just jumped in with PH2. My PH2 was really the unofficial PH1.5 though with one starch/grain and fruit per day. Although I've done PH1 for a few days here and there I've pretty much stuck with the PH1.5 and it has been working for me.

I think most people will tell you that you have to do PH1 or else the diet police will take away your beach blanket but that is my take on it.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

momof8!
Yes, you can skip Phase 1 altogether, especially if you only have a few pounds to lose, but it's not recommended. Phase 1 is designed to totally eliminate sugars and and starchy carbs, thus ridding your body of all cravings for such foods. It gives you a clean slate and prepares you for a good start to begin your real weightloss journey on Phase 2. It's only for 14 days, and if you plan out your menus ahead of time it makes it so much easier to stick to. We have plenty of delicious and satisfying recipes for Phase 1 in our recipe section to help you stay motivated, and you'll be delighted with how you'll feel, too.
I hope you have read the book before getting started. It explains the fundamentals of this program, and it's good reading, too.
Good luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

I'm just laughing about the "diet police" taking away your "beach blanket". LOL!!

Welcome to the beach!!

I agree, you won't regret it. I was SUCH a sugar addict, and now I'm not. Never thought I'd see the day!

Best wishes! I truly believe this site is why I finally lost my weight!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

to The Beach.

We did have diet police once but we changed them into cabana boys!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #7  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
We did have diet police once but we changed them into cabana boys!
Cabana boys sound so much better.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 142/141/120

Height: 5'4"

You all are too funny! I would be finished with Phase 1 on Thursday, except I went to a wedding shower yesterday and had a piece of cake and a chocolate So I will probably have to give myself a time out and do a few more days of Phase 1 - or not Just do the best you can - Phase 1 does have an important purpose if you are into sweets like I am!

Good luck from another newbie!
Celtic mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I didn't think I could do Phase I. Well, I did and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I definitely appreciated my Phase II additions afterwards though. And the big weight loss was so motivating (8# in Phase I). It really eliminated a lot of water weight and bloating too.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

I am actually back on phase 1 after doing it for the first time last may. after doing really well for about 6 months, i kinda jumped on and off the beach whenever the whim hit. add a big cross country move, and tons of stress and money, and i was eating boxes of donuts for dinner by the time i got here. i honestly couldn't wait to start over with a nice clean phase 1. it took me about 6 days this time around to stop feeling anxious about wanting junk food and bread, (the bread is the hardest one for me) but i feel great and know that if i do this part right, the rest will be easier, and i'll be thanking myself. and really, what is 2 weeks, compared to the rest of your life? of course, the final decision is yours! good luck and whatever u decide, there's tons of support here
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Mom of 8! I think you've gotten the advice you need, but I wanted to welcome you.

Celtic, you definitely want to do Phase 1 until your cravings go away (3-5 days). You also need to evaluation what made you fall off plan. It'll help you avoid the pitfall in the future!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 244/244/140

Thanks for all the kind welcomes and answers, guess its to phase 1 for 2 weeks.

Roxanne
momof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 142/141/120

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Laurie! I know exactly why I had the cake - it was a very small gathering and I only knew 2 people, so just instead of explaining why not, I did I know better, and really wasn't craving anything - so hopefully I'll keep it in check!
Celtic mom is offline   Reply With Quote