Old 04-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default Is momentum low/moderate carb?

Hello,

I have been doing a variation of winning points for quite awhile, but have been stuck. I'm interested in Momentum.

One reason is that carbs make up almost 80% of my food intake. I love 'em but have finally admitted that most, ok, all of my binge foods are carbs, like mostly cereal, cereal bars, that sort of thing.

I don't want to go way low carb like Atkins, and SB just doesn't appeal to me.
Is it safe to say that the filling foods list promotes a low/moderate carb intake?

It's wierd, I'm trying to stay w/ weight watchers because it's always worked for me, but now that there's this carb monkey wrench it gets confusing.

Currently I don't have the time nor $ to go to meetings, although I am considering going once to get a better feel for the new program.

Any experiences anyone's had with going low/mod carb and ww would be great.

Also, core isn't an option for me right now because I am still learning how to eat until satisfied.

thanks,

og
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 PM   #2  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

the filling foods list is the old core
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #3  

Is the core/filling foods list more low/moderate carb? Not a lot of breads and stuff?

Due to my binging on carbs, I've learned that even with portion control it's really tough for me to have these things around. I'm also considerring just limiting the amount of carbs I have. It's nerve wracking figuring out what to do and everyone has a different take on it.

I think I'll just go to the meeting Wed and ask them there.... this is my first foray into cutting my carbs in any way, and i think I'm making tomuch more complicated than it needs to be.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #4  

There is no bread on Filling Foods but there is Bulgar, Barley, Quinoa, Brown and Wild Rices, potatoes, that you can choose from. This is the Simply Filling Technique of Momentum. If you chose to count points you are doing the old Flex plan with the stipulation that you eat mostly Filling Foods. Getting in the 9 HGs doesn't leave a lot of room for junk. As far as cutting carbs, I get bloated if I eat simple carbs of any kind. Whole grains, fruits and veggies are fine. You can go to one meeting for free but you won't get the materials. Simply Filling is introduced in Week 6. They want everyone to count points, weighing and measuring food, for the first 5 weeks to get the idea of what a portion really is.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #5  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

OK, so MOMENTUM is a combo of the two programs, the old Flex system and the Core system.
You base you program completely on counting points values of foods and you get a certain number of points per day to spend.
You can spend them on WHATEVER you want, but they suggest that you use alot of FILLING FOODS (aka Core foods) for your points because, for example, 1 cup of brown rice is more filling than 2/3 of a chocolate bar.
So, at the end of the day, you can make the Momentum program into a low/moderate carb program by choosing to count those foods that are low in carbs. There is no special trick to this. You will just eat foods you prefer and track those. And if your diet overall is low/moderate carbs, you just record those foods and stay within your points limit.
This is why WW is so great -- you can reduce your carbs and eat higher protein and stay within your points as you see fit!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #6  

thanks so much for the reply. I really am making this harder than it needs to be.
I also think if i do my best to stay true to the 9 healthy guidelines, there's not going to be much room left for tons o' carbs ( I'm thinking of bready, cerealy things).

I've made the program work for me while eating almost all carbs but staying wth in my point range. Yeah it worked, but there was more aptness for bingeing and also it's nto the most nutritionally balanced way to go.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

You are so on the right track! Just tailor the program to suit you, and eat what you feel is best for you (within reasonable guidelines, like try not to eat 23 points of bacon every day...) and it'll work out just fine.
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #8  

I think part of my problem was not adhering to the 8 healthy guidelines and concentrating too much on just staying with in the points.

Because I never gave that much thought to carbohydrates, I've been checking out how many grams of carbs is in things.

Does anyone ever combine counting points with counting carb grams or do you think that would be too much?

I'm considering giving myself a limit on the carbs- thinking here of grains,cereals, breads, pastas,potatoes.... kind of like a 9th guideline.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

I would not count carbs but I would limit my intake of them. The reason I am doing points is because it is simple. Counting carbs would just make life more difficult for me.

So for instance, for breakfast instead of cereal, have an egg or two. Even though they are more points, they will keep you fuller, longer, and you will not need a snack before lunch.

Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Protein v Carbs & points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleberry View Post
I would not count carbs but I would limit my intake of them. The reason I am doing points is because it is simple. Counting carbs would just make life more difficult for me.

So for instance, for breakfast instead of cereal, have an egg or two. Even though they are more points, they will keep you fuller, longer, and you will not need a snack before lunch.

So glad to read this. I'm not a 'cereal' person,but have been forcing myself because I want to suceed at this. However within a hr. I'm really hungry. If I eat a egg,or two I'm good for a much longer period,but when I saw the points it scared me,and kinna shocked me too. Now that I see this thread,and your explaination I 'm going to go this week with what works better for me,while keeping within my points. Thanks alot Choices~
choices is offline   Reply With Quote