Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #1  
sugar is the devil

Default Any Free Weight Exercise/Routine Advice Out Here???

I would like to start using free weights instead of the machines at the gym; as I heard that free weight lifting is a better quality exercise to do. I would like to build muscle and tone my body. I'm not necessarily looking for exercises for body building as I don't want to get that bulk.

My problem is, since I've never done them before, I don't have a routine/know what to do!

One day I want to work on upper body (arms, back, chest, etc). The following day I want to work on lower body (legs, abs, butt, etc). Then take a day off.

Can someone give me advice or link me to a good site for toning exercises for women?

Thanks!
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

You're going to love this site! It comes highly recommended by the ladies who lift here at 3FC.

http://www.stumptuous.com/
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

You are correct that doing free weights is a great form of exercise. However, if you haven't done a lot of it in the past, I would highly recommend having a couple of personal training sessions so that they can help you develop a routine and also to show you the proper form. There are infinite varieties of exercises and routines you can do and it can definitely get overwhelming without some live guidance.

Having said that, I think in the beginning you don't actually need to do split routines. Also, concepts in weightlifting are not that different from man to woman, etc. Start with some basic compound exercises:

Squats
Lunges
Deadlifts
Bench Press
Bent Ovre Rows

If you learn these exercises, you will have a solid foundation that you can build from.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Yes, definitely visit that site Susan linked. Excellent information over there! And don't worry about bulking. It isn't likely to happen.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #5  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

I say get the book called, "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". I wish I had it when I first started out. It's a great resource for beginnres and overall. The routines are in the back of the book with images of how to do the exercise. I paid 10 bucks for the book on Amazon.

I also did the advanced/intermediate 3 day split workout for a while from Stumptous as well (back in January) and that is where I learned how to master the stiff legged and standard deadlift.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You can also go to the library

I would recommend the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Body for Life is a good book as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #7  
sugar is the devil

Thanks for all your advice!

I have checked out that site you gave me and I think I will begin with the beginner Upper/Lower body split!

My friend (whom is a lady) is really into weight lifting so this week, we are going to the gym together, and she's going to show me some things and how to do the moves.

That does sound like a good book so I may look into that as well!

Thanks!
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote