Old 04-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Default Anybody watch "The Biggest Loser"? Questions and insight.

Okay, this is the first season I have really watched the show. I never really got into it before. This season, maybe since I have been serious about regaining my life, I've watched.

I am a big fan of Ron and Mike. HUGE. My father's name is Ron, he is a big guy, with a beard...they sorta look alike so I think that's what originally drew me to them. That and I feel so bad for Mike being so heavy as a teenager. I can't imagine what that has been like for him. I am sure there are those here that know that pain first hand; it just breaks my heart.

What prompted me to start this thread was last weeks's "Makeover" episode.

When Mike and Ron came down the stairs...Max's reaction moved me so much. For those that don't know, Max is Mike's "little" brother. He had just turned 17 and the poor boy was as big as Mike ever was, if not bigger. I guess their mom used to be very heavy too and lost all her weight a few years ago. Now, Ron is a ton thinner and Mike...well Mike's transformation is stunning.

That poor kid cried and cried. He said a few things that tug at my heart even today:

"Now I am the only big one."
and
"I just want to be NORMAL."

I was at the gym watching and I had to stop (I was on the tredmill) because I was crying so hard.

I think it was the word "normal" that got to me. I wonder how many of us have felt less then normal before and during our weight loss struggle? I wonder how many of us have looked at other people and even as we smile, secretly feel devistated that we don't look as good and wonder what is WRONG with us? I wondered how many of us were angry at ourselves, angry that we let ourselves get into this situation. Angry that we have to work so hard to just feel "normal". I wonder if other people hide from people that haven't seen us in years because we don't want them to see us as we are now?

"Normal". Who would have thought such a simple word could trigger so much emotion. I wonder how some of us have got it drilled into our heads that we are NOT normal because of our weight.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else watched the show and if they had any feelings about it one way or another? While I never strive for their kind of weight loss, I am constantly comparing my body to the contestants at similar weights. In my head I am always asking myself "Do I really look like that too?!"

Its funny the tricks our minds can play on us. They can trick us into thinking we are only "a little bit chubby" when in fact, we are VERY overweight. They can trick us into thinking we are not "normal" because we are heavier then we should be. The show has taught me one important thing, that we can reprogram our minds to be more positive and that weight loss isn't just a battle with our bodies, but of our minds and our way of thinking too.

Normal.

Who would have thought that ONE word, would trigger such a response? Not me. However, that one word has me focusing a lot more on my journey...and I don't evern really like reality tv too much! LOL!
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Sarah,

I had to laugh when I saw you were at the gym and you had to stop because you were crying so hard. THIS is the reason I don't watch the Biggest Loser. I am a crybaby.

GJ
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #3  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I know, that was sooooo sad to see that kid cry. I hope he gets inspired by his dad and brother and follows in their footsteps. I really do. I hope they keep us updated on him too. Bless his heart.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica View Post
Sarah,

I had to laugh when I saw you were at the gym and you had to stop because you were crying so hard. THIS is the reason I don't watch the Biggest Loser. I am a crybaby.

GJ
The guy next to me was so uncomfortable! ROFL! I am blaming hormones for my emotional outburst...yeah, that's it.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #5  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

I love this show...i always tell my hubby "i call the downstairs tv at 8pm" i get on the elleiptical for the whole show. I am amazed at ron..he gives me hope and encouragement.. he has come along way..he has so much love for his son. Mike..is simply amazing..i hope that when they go back homeron and mike, will take everything they have learned and help Max. They have the love and knowlege now to help him change.

tara is very strong willed and determained..she just needs to get her head in the game, and realize that laura was injured and the best place for her was togo home to recover.

in the end..i hope the final 3 are mike/ron/tara
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #6  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

i was really moved by max's reaction also. i bet it's hard to feel like u don't fit in with your own family. i hope mike and ron teach him all they've learned at the ranch and that max follows through it. i felt bad for him. he was so sad.

on another note...i don't really care for ron. i knew he was gonna screw kristin over.
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I haven't seen the show, but I think it's terribly sad one son got left behind, and only a 17-year-old too.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #8  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm mad at Ron and Mike right now for taking out Kristin. She was my fav.

Anyway, in response to what you said about being normal, let me share something with you. I've felt that many times. (If only I could be a normal size and shop for normal clothes, I'd be so much happier. Why can't I look normal like some of the other women at work?)

This is what happened to me in the past week. Some of the people know that I've been going to the gym everyday (my boss saw me there and now asks about it EVERY day... trying to be supportive, but boy do I wish he hadn't seen me there!). Anyway, one of the women in my office (a very trim woman about my age) asked me how I stay so motivated to go since I get up extra early to go before work. So I told her that I don't give myself a choice, I have to go for my health, I was tired of feeling the way I felt before... all the good stuff. She told me that she had gone to the doctor because she wasn't feeling as happy as she thought she should and instead of prescribing a pill, he told her that she needed to get more exercise. She went on to say that she just couldn't get motivated. She had a stationary bike but couldn't make it past 2 minutes. She then tried walking, but couldn't go further than 4 blocks away because she wouldn't be able to make it back. And, when she was done, she couldn't even function because she was so worn out.

My point? I would choose to be my size and as active (and relatively healthy) as I am than to be as thin as she is and be in such bad shape and such a bad frame of mind. When I had looked at her in the past, I envied how nice she looked and what cool clothes she has. Even thin, she has her own battles. Different than mine, but certainly very difficult for her.

Last edited by Slashnl; 04-22-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #9  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

Ron irritates the HECK out of me. He keeps saying he will do anything for Mike to win. Well RON IT ISNT ABOUT WINNING 250,000. Its about teaching your sons how to be healthy. I love KRISTIN. She inspires me. I want to meet her one day.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I would love to be normal. To not be the fat friend. To shop in the normal misses stores. To be described as something other than fat. And, yes, I do compare myself to the contestants. I look at their before and after pictures and tell myself "look what a difference 20,30,50, 100 pounds makes in how they look! You can look that good, too!"

I always cry while watching the BL. I cried like a baby while watching Kristin's interviews last night. She talked being afraid to voice her hopes as they might then get snatched away from her. Up to now, I was always a big fan of Helen.....older woman, wife and Mom....and Tara, strong woman...but, last night I realized that Kristin and I have so much in common. For some reason, I've always doubted that I could lose my weight...that I wasn't good enough or could work hard enough or strong enough....that I might not be one of the blessed people. But, like Kristin, I'm realizing that I deserve this just as much as everyone else! Like Kristin, I want to become the woman I've always dreamed of being.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 04-22-2009 at 03:50 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #11  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

My roommates and I all watch it. One thing that's been coming up lately is all the girl's Mike is going to get after this show. He's starting to look really good, and the way they edit him makes him seem like such a nice guy (and they can do ANYTHING with editing). He's going to be up to his eyeballs in girls who want to be his girlfriend.

I do feel really bad for the little brother too. It's so sad. But I'm sure with the rest of his family behind him he can lose the weight too, it'll probably just take him a bit longer. ALSO my roommates and I were talking about how if next season (or maybe the one after) he's a shoe-in for a spot on the ranch if he wants it (even more so if Mike wins). People already know and like the character.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #12  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Since you asked...I am not a fan of Ron AT ALL!! What a little scammer! "Oh, Kristin, I will do whatever I can to keep you here" next breath..."Ok, this is how we can make Kristin go home...." You don't do people like that. This isn't survivor, it's a weight loss show. I really like that Kristin put Mike in his place.

I don't blame Mike as much, he's young. Ron knows better. I do feel bad for Max, his heart must be breaking.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/209/150

Height: 5'6

I hope they bring Max on too. I liked how Mike admitted he was mad @ his parents for letting the kids get that. I guess it opened my eyes a bit more on what I am feeding my kids and maybe taking them for fast food isnt the best treat to give them, so this weekend we are having a picnic @ park...its got to beat the jungle gym @ the Arches.
pmteub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #14  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

I just did a 3fc blog post about Kristen. I cried like a baby seeing her at the end. She just makes me happy.

And the episode with Max. Oh boy. That was tough. I feel so bad for him. I think when the family gets home and they are around him he will pick up the good habits and lose that weight.

Ron. Ugh. I used to like him and i can appreciate the fact he's there for Mike but the way he did Kristen.. ooh, burned me. But, Kristen spoke her mind WITHOUT being petty or mean. Way to go girl!

Does anyone else not like Helen? When she sent her daughter home i was so pissed. She hasn't been big all her life like her daughter, i felt the daughter needed to stay.
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #15  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

i agree, helen should have went home and let her daughter stay, but we really dont know what happens behind the scene.
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote