Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #1  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Default When is it appropriate to post on specific diet threads?

I confess that I often read the questions and posts on threads that are diet specific, such as Atkins, Calorie-Counters, and so on. And I have noticed that there are some members who enjoy posting dietary advice on these specific threads even when they are not on the plan. I have read the forum postits and see that each forum is specific for the followers of those specific diets.
While I have no issue with those who post to give non-dietary specific advice -- you know, "keep it up", or "you are doing awesome", or "plan your meals" or other non-diet-specific support, is it appropriate to post plan specific advice if you don't follow that diet itself? Especially if the info you post is not in line with the diet plan itself?
I guess I speak specifically for my particular forum, on which I have seen other members encourage non-plan specific behavior as dietary support in response to diet-specific questions. If I am, for example, on a Medifast forum, and have a Medifast-specific question such as "how do I count my lean and green meal", is it appropriate to give advice about including rice and/or pasta, which is definitely not part of the plan?
I know we all have the right to not listen, but I was wondering about the etiquette of this, and how to address it when it happens without getting peoples' knickers in a knot!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

My opinion is, this is a public forum and anyone can post anywhere they want. You can choose to respond to irrelevent advice or you can chalk it up to it being a message board with a broad range of opinions and move on.

I think with the supportive atmosphere of 3FC, people should feel welcome to post anywhere they feel they can offer something. I feel that wandering beyond the confines of the forums relevant to me gives me a much broader perspective.

If someone gives advice that goes against a specific diet plan, respectfully disagree and offer your own advice. For every opinion around here there is always a counter opinion
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes when I post I don't realize I'm in a specific section because I'll click on a post from the "latest forum posts" on the main page.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I think usually it's a matter of people either being 1) not so computer literate, 2) not so observant or 3) not caring at all what forum they're in. It's sort of like when people post advice in a time-sensitive thread posted 4 years ago.

I've learned over time to not let it bother me. Ok, ok, I'm still working on it. At least it doesn't bother me any more than people who write about "loosing weight."

It definitely happens more on some web sites than others... and since we at 3FC have such a wide array of users, with a variety of ages, education levels, computer experience, and cultural/etiquette backgrounds... we end up with quite a bit of it here.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree with junebug and would just add that we are not medical people so it is your responibility to accept or reject information as it pertains to you. I try to only post what I know works for me. I will continue to welcome, and encourage people, however.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #6  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

We had a thread last week in the Carb Counters/Atkins forum that began to degenerate into somewhat of a pro/con Atkins debate, and the moderators stepped in and deleted the post that was con Atkins, and let us know that it's OK to respectfully debate (to some degree) in other parts of the forum, but on diet support threads it's not OK to debate the relative merits of a diet, because it's the "support" area.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I wholeheartedly agree with junebug. Everything is open to everyone and you have to choose just what you want to listen to. There are no "rules" stating you can or cannot post to certain threads just because you're not on that plan or that the area doesn't pertain to you specifically. Thankfully this is a forum where there are very few snarky things said. More than not we're supportive of everyone regardless of the plan they are following. If someone asks for advice, you have to understand that there will be 100 different perspectives from 100 different people.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #8  
Closed

I was wondering about that. Because I read the forum stickies, that say that the forum is for followers of a specific diet and for those who want to learn more about it. Otherwise why have a specific forum site? Like I said, non-diet specific advice is appropriate. But can someone who isn't on Atkins really advise you with respect to your program on the Atkins forum? If you are on South Beach and on that specific forum and have a South Beach question, should a non-South-Beacher give you advice that is against the South Beach principles?
I'm not talking about general diet questions here.
I saw the non-Atkins diatribe on the Atkins forum and it was clearly not an appropriate post for that particular forum and was deleted. Which was a good thing, in my opinion. You can post that sort of item on the general chatter or weight loss support forum, and it clearly isn't in accordance with the Atkins forum sticky. Which led to the question -- if I am an Atkins follower and have a question about induction and post it on the Atkins forum, is this an appropriate place for non-Atkins followers to recommend that you follow a whole foods lifestyle, for example...
Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 04-22-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #9  
No description available.

First, there is a forum policy on Agree to Disagree that can be reviewed here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111599

I think that sometimes people stumble into forums and offer advice and innocently don't realize that their advice might be counterproductive to the guidelines of a particular eating plan. That is when it might be appropriate to gently offer some information about the plan, allowing for learning and education. But we can all learn from each other and there are no restrictions on posting in or reading different forums. One of my favorite forums is the WLS forum, because I admire the strength and success of those folks greatly.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #10  
Closed

Thanks, midwife. I know there aren't any rules about posting. I was just wondering how to respond to non-plan specific advice without getting peoples' knickers in a knot, and perhaps to just make people more aware of where they are posting and whether or not the post might be appropriate for that particular forum. (This happens all the time, where moderators move posts from one board to a more appropriate board -- it isn't a question of restricting posts, just placing them in a more appropriate location)...
Kira
Old 04-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think most people offering advice that is counter to a specific diet just don't realize they're in a specific forum. It's very easy to do when checking "New Posts." I'm sure there are occasional people trying to push their point of view, but I think in most cases, you're reading too much into their intentions.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #12  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
Thanks, midwife. I know there aren't any rules about posting. I was just wondering how to respond to non-plan specific advice without getting peoples' knickers in a knot
Kira

Gently and kindly always works well. But you know that.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #13  
Closed

Thanks, midwife. I wasn't trying to imply that people were pushing their particular plans. It just might make it difficult when you are a new member on a new plan to have a question and to receive confusing information, that's all. It is easy for those of us with experience with a program to sift out the program info from personal opinion, but if you are new and post to a specific forum about a program question, it can be easy to be overwhelmed with conflicting information. And usually the post itself indicates the type of question -- for example "how do I count these WW points" is a different question from "my scale numbers won't move"...
I was reading the post on the Atkins forum last night (it is now deleted) from a new member who gave quite a lengthy explanation as to why those on Atkins shouldn't be on Atkins. This is an interesting dietary debate but perhaps the Atkins forum wasn't the appropriate place for it. Which is why I brought up the question, that's all.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would also advise, do not spend too much time trying to analyze someone else's postings, some will be very good and others will not. I try to post what I know works for me, I am a calorie counter but have been on almost every diet there is, over the years. I will tell you what works for me, but I will not tell you what you should do. I think that is the best advise I can give.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It is definitely bad manners to go to, say, the Atkins forum and post a thread bashing Atkins. That doesn't take a higher degree to understand.

Also, if you don't know the rules for a specific plan, how can you know whether your recommendation, even if well intended, is something allowed on that plan? (I don't mean "you" specifically.)

So the best guideline is to post encouraging posts, but not criticize plans you don't follow. It's generally OK to ask questions, as long as one is really seeking information and not simply hiding an argument.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 04-22-2009 at 12:23 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote