The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 04-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #1  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Default When unhealthy foods hijack overeaters' brains

I already pre-ordered this book. It's interesting to see research backing up experiences I still have around some foods. It's worth reading the whole article.

When unhealthy foods hijack overeaters' brains
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090421/...t_overeating_5
By LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP Medical Writer Lauran Neergaard, Ap Medical Writer Mon Apr 20, 9:08 pm ET

WASHINGTON – Food hijacked Dr. David Kessler's brain. Not apples or carrots. The scientist who once led the government's attack on addictive cigarettes can't wander through part of San Francisco without craving a local shop's chocolate-covered pretzels. Stop at one cookie? Rarely.

It's not an addiction but it's similar, and he's far from alone. Kessler's research suggests millions share what he calls "conditioned hypereating" — a willpower-sapping drive to eat high-fat, high-sugar foods even when they're not hungry.

In a book being published next week, the former Food and Drug Administration chief brings to consumers the disturbing conclusion of numerous brain studies: Some people really do have a harder time resisting bad foods. It's a new way of looking at the obesity epidemic that could help spur fledgling movements to reveal calories on restaurant menus or rein in portion sizes.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I think I should read this book, too. It sounds just like me! Thanks for the info on it, Cyndi!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #3  
Meg

I totally believe it and it's why moderation doesn't work for me when it comes to certain foods. One cookie is too many and a dozen aren't enough!

Cyndi, we'd love to have a review of the book and your thoughts after you read it.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for sharing- it's so true! The other day I wasn't hungry but had an OVERWHELMING desire to munch on something- I was like WHAT is wrong with me?!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I think the book "the carbohydrate addict's diet" explains this occurence very well. It even explains why the "just one bite" becomes half the cake in some situations.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Sounds interesting - is it different from the other book he just released or is this a second book? I clicked the link but it didn't work.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

It's his new book. Here's a current article: http://bulletin.aarp.org/opinions/ot...CTRL-61209-F1a

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book and have found it really interesting. I should finish it this weekend (i have the audiobook and have a long drive ) and will try to write a more thorough review. Most of his suggestions about gaining control are similar to other techniques from addiction and habit research but all of the studies around the impact of the big three (salt, fat & carbs) and the manipulation of those things by the food industry are fascinating. For me that knowledge helps me make better choices and removes the ignorance from bad choices. I hope that in the long run that will make a difference.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It's the same book I was already aware of - I agree it's very interesting. I certainly feel like some food just affects me differently.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote