Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/142/120

Height: 5'2"

Default I hate my bathroom scales

I hate it that if I get on them 10 times in a row I have 4-6 different weights. I hate not knowing how much I really weigh or how much I have lost. I finally decided today that with all of the money I am saving by not eating out and generally eating a lot less that I will treat myself with a nice balance beam scale. I have been thinking about this for a while but have been stressed over the size of the thing and not having a good place to put it. Today the light bulb went off. I am going to put it in my garage right by the back door. The added benefit is that I won't be tempted to strip down and weigh myself every time I go into the bathroom. The only issue I can think of is if the garage door somehow opens when I am out there buck naked weighing myself. If that happens it will certainly give the neighborhood a bad shock!

I ordered the Health o Meter Physician Balance Beam Scale from amazon.com today at 2:00 CST. Free shipping, woo hoo.... I got an email at 6:14 CST that it has already shipped. WOW, I may actually have it in time for my Friday weigh in. What a funny thing to be excited about. Oh how my life has changed!
Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #2  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

just my 2 cents: If you hop in a scale for 10 times in a row then it's really normal that you have 4-6 different numbers....
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #3  
I can do it !!!!

Height: 5'6"

My bathroom scale drives me nuts too, I've learned that I weight more early on, I have to wait until after 6:30ish, and it also helps if I take a hot shower first, don't ask me why, but that's how I get best results.
Also - the scale you are talking about will also need calibrated now and then. Our doctors office scale is off by at least 10 pounds, not just me but my husband too. Our clothes just can't weigh that much you know?
Anyway, cool beans on your scale! I love amazon!
2Bthinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I'm really tempted to buy one of the really accurate digital scales like they use at the WW meetings. I don't know how much they cost, but after yet another morning of not knowing where I am in the 4-5 pound range my crappy Taylor scale gives me, I'm tempted!
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #5  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I threw mine out! It may have been a bit hasty but now I just weigh myself at the gym where I can get on it three times in a row and it's the same. And it helps motivate me to get there a few mornings a week (I usually work out at night but always weigh more so I go with first thing in the morning) to get weighed. But ultimately I measure my success by how my clothes fit - I have a smaller shirt and pair of pants I try on once a week

Good look with your new scale!!!
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #6  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

i also just went to amazon and bought a new digital scale thanks for the idea, my scale at home had me losing4 pounds 7 pounds at the gym scale and 13 at the doctors scale so my scale is hopeless...it wasnt digital anyways so thanks for the good idea
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #7  
I aim to misbehave

S/C/G: 225/tick/175

Height: 5'8"

I gave up on the digital scale and bought the old mechanical dial scale. It is hard to read anything less than a pound--put it always reads the same if I step on it twice--or ten times.
Riverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #8  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

A couple of years ago, after my DH got sick and tired of me complaining about our scale, he splurged and bought a Seca digital scale that has accuracy to 0.1 lb. I so much prefer it. It seems a lot more sensitive to weight changes and also more consistent if I get on multiple times in a row.

Good luck with your new scale; I'm sure you'll love it!

Last edited by newleaf123; 04-20-2009 at 11:00 PM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #9  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Re: old fashioned scales. I remember that I could never resist the temptation to spin the dial to adjust the starting weight to work in my favor.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #10  

Well it looks like it is going to be delivered tomorrow. Turns out it is being shipped locally. The really funny thing is that the weight of the package is 43pounds which exactly how much I have lost. It is going to be quite humbling to pick it up.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

You could also just weigh yourself once a day/week for more accurate readings
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #12  
Leaving it all behind

S/C/G: 159/see ticker/120

My husband and I tossed our scale. We decided that we will know when we are losing the excess poundage just by our clothing. The way I do weigh myself however is on our Wii. It works fine for me. I don't need to know my exact weight down to the ounce. Just a general idea is good.

Deidra
DeidraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #13  

The new scale came today and I love it. It was fairly easy to put together and I found a good spot for it in my laundry room. Since my old scale gives a different weight every time I get on and off it, I was having trouble figuring out the difference between the two scales. My sister came over and tried my old scale and it gave her the exact same weight 5 times in a row (it must like her better). That weight is exactly 1 pound below the new scale so that is what I am calling it. I am adjusting my weights up 1 pound for this week only and starting tomorrow will go with the balance beam scale for my official weight. I already have such peace of mind knowing that I will get the real picture each day, not having to wonder if i picked the right weight. It will be nice to know that the only variable is my own body!

It's a good day. I got all of my water in and my last 245 calories of the day filled me way past full. Blessings everyone....
Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #14  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Way to go! I get the frustration with the digital models. I don't care HOW accurate they claim to be, I can stand on one and get 3 different readings inside of a minute. so I threw mine out.
I also seem to have a bit of a scale addiction, so I had my DH hide my mechanical scale and I weigh in only once a week, at my WW meetings. I will return to daily weighing when I get to maintenance...which should be in about 2 years, given the turtlish nature of my weight loss...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #15  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

I hate my scale...i have found the best timefor me to weight in is at 9am. I also use my wii balance board..i like how it shows me my ibm and a graph on my weight change. i seem to wiegh less on my wii then i do on my scale.
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote