Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #1  

Default Encouragement after a car accident =(

Well it happened again.
Six years ago I was finally doing good, active at the gym, eating right and I got hit by another driver (I was in a car as well). After the painful months of getting better I couldn't get back into the gym till this year.
I had been going about 4 times a week to the gym for about 1-2 hours and I hadn't gotten the eating right down yet but I was feeling really good with all the exercise.
Now tragedy struck again and now I am stuck with back and neck pain and am unable to go to the gym again. =(
However, it has already been two months and I don't want to wait till I am completely pain free to get back to it.
I know I can't go to the gym yet and I am going through physical therapy but I am always so tired and then I get depressed and then I eat more. =(
I know that if I was more active, I would feel better but what can one do to stay active when they have pain constantly?
I am looking for any encouragement you have to offer and any suggestions for small ways I can try to get back on track whether it be a good kick off way to eat to uplift my spirits or even small exercise goals.
I am open to anything, I have been so depressed this week especially and coming across this forum, I have found some inspiration.
I have had more hope today then I have had in the past two months.

Last edited by crunkbanker; 04-15-2009 at 02:35 PM.
crunkbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #2  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm glad you're here! You have found a wonderful place filled with great people. My one small suggestion would be to start off by maybe changing some of the things you may eat, add some fruits and veggies, and water, water, water. You can do this. I know you can, especially since you have done it before. We're all here for you to help you succeed!! Good luck and PM me whenever you need to....
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You can ask your physical therapist and your doctor what sorts of exercises you can try! Obviously, if something causes pain, you shouldn't do it--but these health professionals are in the best position to suggest an exercise program.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/171/125

Height: 5'4''

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear that you're going through this...I completely understand how frustrating it is. 4 years ago I was in a bad accident and ended up with a herniated disc in my back. It was pressing on my sciatic nerve and I had severe pain on and off for years. Last January, it came back with a vengeance, and got so bad that by August I couldn't walk. I had to have spinal surgery.
During the months leading up to that time, I went through the same depression that you're experiencing. I ate to feel better, and I gained a fair amount of weight, which only made me feel worse.
If there's one piece of advice I can give you, it be active in ANY way you can. If it's going to get worse, it's going to happen whether you're moving or not. Try to resist the urge to medicate with food, because I guarantee it'll only make you feel worse in the long run. When I started working out to lose weight, it was really hard work because my core muscles were so traumatized. I had become incredibly weak and had to start from square 1. Combined with the weight I gained during my inactivity, it was not a pretty scene.

Stick with your physio, and try everything and anything to reduce your pain- maybe yoga? It worked for me before I got worse. I also did Active release therapy- i've found it really helpful. Sometimes the muscles in your back can push the bones around. I'd really recommend looking into it. A lot of chiropractors do it, and it doesn't involve any bone-cracking or anything. It's kind of like very intense, localized massage therapy.

For inspiration, I can tell you that my surgeon said that the best thing to improve back problems is to lose weight. I'm sure that living pain-free would be an inspiration for you, so think of that when you're making decisions about food and activity.

I would also recommend talking to your physio about exercises you can be doing. Share your concerns and your feelings of frustration- he/she may be able to help!

I know from experience that all of these things are easier said than done...but I just want you to know that I've been where you are and have come back from it! I hope that gives you some hope..things will get better.

Sending big hugs your way!
primaballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #5  

Devsmama - Thank you very much for your words of encouragement, and I just might take you up on pming.
Currently I have my big bottle of water and some carrots and my mini animal crackers with me.
I tend to eat a lot when I am bored as well so I have those two things around me at work when its slow lately.
The only problem is I already have over-active bladder so I can't drink myself ( water not alcohol ) full so I don't snack when I am bored or depressed. =/

JayEll - Thank you, I will check with them but I think they will probably just tell me to do more of the same exercises they have me doing but its worth a try anyways, maybe they will have other suggestions. ; )
I am starting to think that changing my diet might be my best bet right now, I am just really struggling with that right now.

primaballerina - Thank you so much! I really appreciated you sharing your story, I don't get to talk to a lot of people in this situation so they usually can't relate.
I enjoy going to the gym so its really the pain that prevents me so I know its hard for people to know what to say to me.
I really do want to lose weight as I know that is probably why this injury has been so much more painful then the one six years ago and 40 pounds ago.
I have been thinking about trying Yoga but the hard thing is laying on my back hurts too, I usually end up on my side so I don't know that I am quite ready for that yet but its a very good option that hopefully I can do soon.
I was going to a chiropractor and he did do active release but unfortunately I had no reduction in pain so I stopped seeing him and now have a massage scheduled for Monday so we shall see how that goes.
The only thing that has helped at all is A) not doing anything decreases the pain but then I am tired all the time and end up eating more and B) taking pain medication but that scares me because last Friday night I forgot to take one pill (taking 500mg Naproxen twice a day and 5mg Flexeril once a day ) and I woke up in awful pain at 5:30am.
I am still taking them because its awful without them but I know I need to do things to help my body other then medication.
Thank you for the hugs, I really need them!

--> This question is for anyone, has anyone tried Metamucil to curb cravings?
I eat throughout the day so I am not hungry but I get cravings a lot at night so am looking for something to make me too full to snack out of boredom or depression.
crunkbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #6  
sugar is the devil

Are you able to take up swimming? It's low impact so it may not cause as much pain as high intense exercises (running, pressures on joints, etc).
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Hi crunkbanker,

Sorry to hear about the injuries. I know how hard and depressing it is when one cannot exercise. I am not going through anything remotely close to your problem - I am only dealing with plantar fasciitis - but just like you, I tend to get depressed if I am not getting my daily dose of endorphins. And if I don't exercise, it is much easier to "sin" in terms of food. It is as if the exercise did not work only my muscles but my will power as well. :-)

I was going to suggest swimming as well, would that be doable?
Good luck and hang in there!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #8  

i also had a herniated disc and spinal surgery 2 years ago.I went to months of physical therapy.I would suggest walking.Can you do this without much discomfort?
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:29 AM   #9  

I think you shoud take some exercises which is suit to you. That's better to ask your physical therapist and your doctor, they will give you a some good advices.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote