General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Staying Healthy

What are everyone's tips for staying healthy?? It's so hard to stay on track when you're sick! People at work are still getting colds even though spring is almost here. I may casually slip my coworkers a box of Kleenex Anti-Viral since the tissues trap cold and flu bugs. That and continue to wash my hands a lot!

Any other tips/ideas??
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

blueberry, I really believe in the power of whole foods with particular interest given to a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

My "be healthy stay healthy" acts:
-sleep. decent sleep.
-hydration
-lots of vitamins through food
-vitamin C the second I feel it coming on.

I was sturck down this last week. I could feel it coming on and just spent every moment I could in bed. I truly believe in the power of a 12 hour night's sleep when I know I'm getting sick.

And I wash my hands constantly.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #4  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

wash hands frequently / use hand sanitizer

once a week I wipe down my phone and keyboard with an alchohol or antibacterial wipe - you'd be surprised at the stuff that festers there

eat healthy foods - colorful, wholesome foods to boost the immune system

get plenty of rest - get in a little extra if you feel you are coming down with something

keep a positive attitute where ever possible - sometimes hard to do but stress will beat you down every time
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bme View Post
wash hands frequently / use hand sanitizer

once a week I wipe down my phone and keyboard with an alchohol or antibacterial wipe - you'd be surprised at the stuff that festers there

eat healthy foods - colorful, wholesome foods to boost the immune system

get plenty of rest - get in a little extra if you feel you are coming down with something

keep a positive attitute where ever possible - sometimes hard to do but stress will beat you down every time
Thanks for all the ideas everyone - all good tips!

I agree about sanitizing dirty surfaces, and especially keeping everything at your home/office clean. Things around the office spread quickly since people who are sick touch things that everyone comes in contact with. I am definitely going to wipe down my phone/keyboard and also give some Anti-Viral Kleenex to my podmates at work.

To add to the list, exercise helps the body's immune system fight germs!
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i may be one of those that is anti wiping everything down. They actually show that there is more bacterial resistant strains of "bugs" since antibacterial hand wipes etc came on the market. I think getting "germs" in your system helps build a healthy system. Study shows that more kids are having allergies/sickness secondary to hand sanitizers and antibacterial things.

I personally find plenty of sleep and eating healthy. Getting lots of fruits and veggies are important. I find it that the healthier i eat the less i get sick. When i "fall off the wagon" and start eating crappy...my immune system fails. I firmly believe in vitamin c druing the cold/flu season. I do frequently wash my hands and i think that helps but its not the only thing. I also think that exercise helps keep your body healthy. I found when i was eating very "clean" (aka minimally processed food) and exercising a lot...i rarely get sick. You aren't got to keep all the buggies away...but it helps.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Get your tonsils removed! I had mine out last October (at the ripe old age of 43!) and have NOT had a single sore throat/sniffle/cough or ANTHING since. And I used to have headaches and a sore throat almost every singe day. Sounds drastic, but MAN has my life changed for the better since then!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote