Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11"

Default Fiber One bars and "Gurgly Bottom"

One of my boys used to say he had "gurgly bottom" when he got that gassy, gurgly, diarrhea type feeling. Well, I think my Fiber One Oats and Chocolate bars are giving me Gurgly Bottom! Today I had an apple at lunch and then a Fiber One bar for my afternoon snack and I tell you, I'm afraid to get on the elliptical machine because I keep running my gassy, pooh-ey self to the bathroom!

I thought that my body would eventually become accustomed to the increased fiber but that's not been the case. I'm OK if I don't have one every day but when I do....look out! Get outta my way!

What to do? I love the bars; they make a great snack and I feel like they're somewhat healthy but yikes! My tummy is dangerously noisy!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #2  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I love Fiber One... and I have this problem too. I try to limit them, maybe break one bar up and eat half as a treat in the morning and the other half in the evening. Really, that is the only think that will help with these tasty snacks. I really need the fiber in my diet, but these bars back a punch. I don't have that problem with other fiber one products, just the granola-bs.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/248/160

Are there sugar replacements in Fibre One bars? If so, that could be the problem. I know they make me gassy as heck and if I eat them long enough... there are consequences similar to what you've mentioned.

MN.
ManyNamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Some people just can't eat them. I've never had a problem, but that amount of fiber is definitely NOT for everyone and can definitely cause some tummy upset. If they don't work for you, I recommend finding a substitute.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #5  

I think it is probably to do with the sugar substitute found in them...I'm not positive though, but your problem seems more like a reaction to an artificial sugar...
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I googled, and there's quite a lot of discussion out there on these bars. They apparently do not contain sugar substitutes, but do contain a fair amount of sugars, including high fructose corn syrup.

The best guess as to the nature of their "gurgliness," is the chicory root from which they get their fiber (mostly soluble fiber, it would seem - and there's some debate, but apparently soluble fiber may induce more gurgliness than insoluble fiber).

The most reaction tends to be from people eating at least one every day, and/or multiple servings per day, or people with IBS.

I have IBS, and there's a fine line for me between too little and too much fiber. If I eat only a few more servings than my normal of veggies or other high fiber foods I end up with the gurglies and/or diarrhea. If I eat only a few fewer servings than my normal, and I am constipated. Lovely topic, I know. Please forgive the TMI - but if you're sensitive to fiber, you end up having to walk a very fine line.

Most people, even those with IBS, can increase their fiber intake, but some people have to do it very gradually or a case of the gurglies is the least of possible side effects.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-07-2009 at 07:42 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #7  
Workin' It

Fiber One bars do that to me, too. The Gnu Flavor & Fiber bars on the other hand never give me a moment of trouble.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #8  

I love them too but had to stop eating them until after work. And only if I am not going any where . Nothing worse than going to gym class and trying not "poot"! LOL

This actually happened to me, yes TMI, I know. I had eaten one at breakfast and one at lunch then had exercise class after work. Oh man, talk about trying to hold it in. Not a good experience. So now I only eat them if I am going to be home. They are so good though, the oats and chocolate is my favorite. Dh actually likes the Kellogg's fiberplus bars better but he ate them all before I got to try them
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/174/155

When I first started eating better I had this all the time. It slowly got better. Fruit I think was my main problem because I never use to eat a lot of it. I still have problems with Oranges and Grapes but eat a lot of Apples and Bananas. I still get it once in a while but I think I might have a little IBS.

I just love the Fiber One Oats & Chocolate bars too. Mmmm. I eat one a day for my afternoon snack. I hope you can figure it out so you feel good. Maybe there is another kind out there that will work for you that is good too. It can get real old feeling sick all the time. I use to feel sick all the time and now that I am healthier I am feeling a lot better.
Phyxius79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #10  

Thanks, everyone. The thing is that they don't make me feel sick at all, and some days they don't seem to bother me. If I have one 2 days in a row, though--stand back, sistah! Look out! Apples kind of do the same thing to me which is sad because I live in apple country and there is an abundance of yummy apples around me much of the year.

Squeak made me laugh with the comment about needing to "poot" at the gym. I assume that "poot" means the same as "toot" (heh), so since I live alone I'm not too worried about tooting while I'm on the elliptical. It's when I have to hit "pause" and run to the bathroom in the middle of a nice sweaty workout that I get annoyed.

Maybe I'll just cut back to every other day with the bars. I had a Costco-sized box so I've still got a few to go; maybe next time I'll try a different brand.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #11  

I really liked these bars at first, and we bought a giant box of them at Costco...but now I find them too sweet. I prefer my kashi granola bars (especially cherry dark chocolate), I find them a lot more "natural" tasting; the fiber 1 bars just seem a little...over processed now. Oy, I think I may becoming a health food snob
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

I love the Fiber one bars! They have the same effect on me but I eat them when I know I have a clear shot to the bathroom! My son made the mistake of eating a couple of them AND the yogurt and almost didn't make it through his 4 mile run! He said it was the fastest he ever ran!!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #13  

Height: 5'3"

Save them for when you are constipated.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianwoman View Post
Save them for when you are constipated.
Heh, this actually is a pretty good idea! After Kaplods mentioned that she googled and found it was a common problem, I googled as well and it looks like I'm in good company because they affect a lot of people the same way. I guess I'll just have to be careful. I like them because they kind of make me feel like I'm eating a healthy rice crispy snack.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #15  

Speaking of gurgly bottoms! FiberOne also makes some yummy yogurt. Well... DD who is 11 ate 4 one night, because they are so small and she kept going back to the kitchen and getting them. Then got up at breakfast and had one and took one for snack at school... hehehheehehe

Let's just say it hit her right after lunch. She said she could barely hold it in. Imagine sitting in a hard sit for hours holding back a poot! When she got in the car that afternoon she let it roll. OMG! She swore off fiberone yogurts after that. Now she asks when she grab's a yogurt if it has fiber in it.
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote