Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 10:03 AM   #1  

Default Insulin Resistance Syndrome

Insulin Resistance:
The Hidden Disease You May Already Have

You may already be suffering from one of the most common - and often overlooked - diseases to strike
Americans.

It's not a deadly new virus. Not cancer. Nor heart disease.

It's a disease, surprisingly enough, caused by your body's inability to make the most of the food you eat. And as many as one in three people suffer from it.

Doctors call this peculiar condition insulin resistance or, with a bit more mystique, Syndrome X.

If the name doesn't ring a bell, the symptoms might: Feeling tired after you eat, and at other times when you shouldn't. Gaining a pound here and a pound there - and having difficulty losing them. Seeing your blood pressure creep up year and after year. And finding that your cholesterol does the same.

Insulin resistance is the chief characteristic of adult-onset diabetes, which affects an estimated 15 million Americans. It also sets the stage for obesity and coronary heart disease - even if you're not diabetic.

What can you do about it? The simple prescription is to eat right, take your vitamins and minerals, and exercise, because each reduces insulin resistance.

But as you might imagine, there's more to the story.

Sugar and Insulin: A Double Whammy

Doctors have known about insulin resistance for decades, but only in the 10 years have they gained a clearer idea of exactly how it derails your health.

Insulin resistance is caused in large part by the over-consumption of refined carbohydrates, such as
breads, pastas, and sugary foods. Eating too much saturated fat (found in beef) and omega-6 fatty acids (found in vegetable oils) also seems to increase the risk of insulin resistance.

Normally, after you eat a meal, your body breaks down carbohydrates into glucose, or blood sugar. The presence of glucose prompts the release of insulin, a hormone produced in your pancreas. Insulin helps transport glucose from the blood to cells, where's it's burned for energy or stored.

When a person eats a lot of refined carbohydrates year after year, a dangerous cascade occurs. Insulin levels remain chronically high, and cells become less responsive - and resistant - to insulin. As a consequence, relatively little glucose gets burned and levels remain high. With chronically elevated glucose levels, insulin resistance evolves into diabetes.

Last edited by Jenniffer; 07-18-2002 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:08 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Nice post!

If anybody wants to read more on insulin resistance and the Glycemic Index for eating plans, a good book to read is The Glucose Revolution. It talks about the proper way to eat to combat this.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:48 AM   #3  

hey! this post is definitely informative for people suffering from PCOS and we need to have as much info as possible to be informed!! my doctor also told me about another good book, "The Zone." This is supposed to be a good book on what to eat for people suffering from this. Thanks for the post!
Old 08-27-2002, 11:40 PM   #4  

Default Insulin Resistance

Hi, I'm France, 44-year-old woman from Ottawa, Canada. I've just been diagnosed with insulin resistance and impaired fasting glucose, but NOT diabetic. By the way, an ultrasound last year said my ovaries were fine, although I have a fibroid tumour, so I guess I don't have PCOS. My doctor immediately put me on Metformin, but a small dose to start -- I take 1/2 a 500 mg pill twice a day. I'm attending diabetes education in September and seeing my doctor again on Sept 20. I started Metformin on Aug 1 and without having really changed much about my eating, have lost 6 lbs since then. I've noticed that my appetite is smaller but no other side effects. My doctor had me get a glucometer to be sure I don't do hypoglycemia but I've been having fun taking my sugar at different times to see how it reacts. I've actually seriously journalled my food for 3 weeks now; I've never managed that before!

Another good book mentioned elsewhere is The Insulin Resistance Diet. Their website is: www.theinsulinresistancediet.com. A good webpage describing insulin resistance is at:
http://www.health-alliance.com/hospi...resistance.htm

France
Old 08-27-2002, 11:41 PM   #5  

Default URL again

Strange what it did to the URL for insulin resistance. Here goes again:

http://www.health-alliance.com/hospi...resistance.htm
Old 08-27-2002, 11:43 PM   #6  

Default URL yet again

I'll try splitting it on 2 lines:

http://www.health-alliance.com/hospitals/
Jewish/glueck/insulin_resistance.htm
Old 09-03-2002, 08:56 AM   #7  

Welcome to both of you!!! Thanks for the additional info. I am sure everyone appreciates it!

Old 10-04-2002, 07:50 AM   #8  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Frapilu: PCO does not diagnose PCOS. So that does not rule PCOS out. 30% of all PCOSers do not have cysts. I was one of them for 21 years!
Old 10-04-2002, 11:57 AM   #9  

Hi all

Thanks for the great info!! I will be checking this out. I just read about this on the thyroid thread and hope I'm on to something to help me. My thyroid is under control but I'm still gaining weight the Dr is no help! I'll let you know.......

Robin
Old 10-05-2002, 04:01 PM   #10  

Default PCOS

Greetings!

The information you post on insulin resistance is very interesting. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 9 years ago and told there was nothing I could do about it. Luckily, I was able to conceive but had about given up on losing weight. I started working with a local doctor in June and have lost over 30 lbs since then. The diet focuses on lots of fruit and veggies, less protien and virtually no oils, no white flour or added sugar. It's still a struggle but it seems to help.

His take is once the weight is gone, the PCOS symptoms fade significantly. He maintains they don't see PCOS symptoms in women who aren't overweight.

His website is www.drfuhrman.com perhaps it will help someone like me.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:40 AM   #11  
WW Moderator

Hi Wingnut, do you also have insulin resistance? I am interested in your weight loss program, but it doesnt' appear low carb at all.
It would be good to know if an insulin resistant person was able to lose weight on it. That's great that you've lost the weight! How many more do you have to lose?
Old 10-06-2002, 08:47 PM   #12  

Hi Jennifer,
I haven't been tested for insulin resistance but as you describe it I have the symptoms. The majority of carbs I have are in fruit with the addition, after the first month, of oatmeal and a couple starchy veggies/week. The emphasis is on nutirents/calories consumed. He compares food calorie for calorie - for instance his fave comparison is 100 cals of steak vs. 100 of broccoli. Which has more protein? I was surprised to find broccoli has more protein - steak has so much fat in 100 cals, there's less room for protein.

I have to say, when I follow it closely - which is about 75% of the time - I'm flat out not hungry. The nutrition is so good your body doesn't require much else.

My 25% off time is usually for stress eating or eating on the run. I keep trying to improve but I've been on so many diets I'm just not going to beat myself up over imperfection. I'd love to know how others cope with stress eating.

I'd like to lose another 70 lbs. so I'm in this for the long haul. Some habits have simply become part of the routine. I'm also walking 3-4 miles, 3 - 4 times a week. I alternate jogging and walking in each session to get the interval training boost.

I'd love to know if anyone else was put on the pill for PCOS and for how long. I have two different doctor's opinions on getting off. One says yes, the other no.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:10 PM   #13  
WW Moderator

Oh thanks for the info! Are you following 'The Greatest Diet on Earth' or another plan? Wow, I want to check into this. I miss my fruit so bad. By the way, does no oil mean 'none'? Most of the way I eat my veggies are sauteed with olive oil.

I don't know the answer to the BCP, but there are a few others here that can help you with that. I would also cruise this section, you might find what you are looking for in past threads.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:50 AM   #14  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Wingnut: HOGWASH to your doctor. MANY women that are not overweight DO exhibit symptoms. Some severe. Infact, I know one personally that has to deal with excess hair, acne and balding as well as infertility.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:38 PM   #15  

Hopefull Spirits -

I had a feeling you were going to say hogwash! I get the feeling he doesn't know squat about PCOS - but his eating plan does work. I checked out your website and was also curious about the triphasic pill nix you talked about. My doctors are sending me in different directions. I've yet to find anyone who's exhibits true knowledge about this disease.

Jennifer - he recommends no oil in the first month although he allows salad dressings with less than 20 cals/2tbs. After that oil in very limited amounts- spray the pan vs spread it with the olive oil. That kind of thang.
Closed Thread