Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #1  

Default High Blood Pressure & Dieting?

Hi all, I have a question. I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. I was put on meds. I know the meds deplete the body of much needed nutrients- I am also dieting. What can I take ( suppliments? ) to counter act the damage? Thanks!!
kats12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #2  

Hi- maybe a good multi-vitamin?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

I am not sure what would help but this might be a good question for your pharmacist. He/she might be able to steer you in the right direction.
Lessofmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

AFAIK, there is no specific nutrient depleted by "blood pressure meds" in general. What is your specific concern?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It depends on your blood pressure medication, so your pharmacist is definitely your best source of information. I'm on a blood pressure medication that depletes sodium, but given the average american diet, this is rarely a problem (which is why most doctors prescribe a potassium-sparing blood pressure medication rather than a sodium-sparing medication, because most people are eating extra sodium, and not enough potassium).

You may also want to talk to your doctor about your water intake, because blood pressure medications make you somewhat more prone to water intoxication. A rare condition in which drinking too much water can wash electrolytes (usually sodium) from the blood. It's not something you have to be crazy about, but your doctor can give you a "cap" of water consumption. For example, I'm told I shouldn't drink more than 3 quarts on a regular basis - I do sometimes exceed that reccommendation, but generally do so when I'm eating foods I know are high in sodium like chinese food.

So, talk to your pharmacist and your doctor because they'll know if there are particular concerns with your medication. The pharmacist may know more than your doctor about the medication, and the doctor would probably be more knowledgeable about the water issue.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone. Gosh- I had NO IDEA about water intoxication.

I was put on statins. I know my cholesterol is also very high.

I did talk to my pharmacist- coq10 seems to be the big issue.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #7  

Hi! I wanted to let everyone know I am now taking a Coq10 supplement & am feeling pretty good!! A friend told me about Emperors Essentials Coq10 softgel (better absorption than caplets) I take 2 a day. I seem to be more energetic & feeling better overall.

I have also increased my exercise routines- 1 more a week. I am still working on my weight, the extra exercise can only help!!

Now I need to focus on a good heart healthy diet. Is anyone here following a good diet that may help me? I could sure use some input. Thanks!!

Last edited by kats12; 04-03-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:14 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats12 View Post
Hi all, I have a question. I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. I was put on meds. I know the meds deplete the body of much needed nutrients- I am also dieting. What can I take ( suppliments? ) to counter act the damage? Thanks!!
Hi,kats,

eat potassium rich foods, potassium is good for extracting excess sodium and water which will help to lower blood pressure. Walking is excellent exercise, but must be maintained daily to do any good.
jusmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #9  

Thanks Jusmine! I have incorporated an extra walk in my routine. Its amazing how good you feel after a 30 minute stroll. The coq10 supplements seem to be doing their job, I just seem to feel better over-all.

Last edited by kats12; 04-06-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #10  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Exercise has been most helpful for me with my bp. I was on meds, but with the weight loss and daily exercise, I'm off of them now. Although I still take the baby aspirin.

Exercise had a diuretic effect, so it's a good thing coupled with the bp meds.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #11  

I am now exercising more & taking Coq10 supplements. I am feeling alot better. I am also losing the weight a little faster. Thats a huge plus!!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

kats, losing weight will be a great help in lowering your blood pressure.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
Exercise has been most helpful for me with my bp. I was on meds, but with the weight loss and daily exercise, I'm off of them now. Although I still take the baby aspirin.

Exercise had a diuretic effect, so it's a good thing coupled with the bp meds.

Georgia

It sound like you are doing GREAT!!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #14  

The exercise is really making a difference! Sadly, the weight is not falling off but it is trickeling off- hey- progress is progress!!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #15  

Hi all! Here is a quick update: when I first started taking statins I was DRAINED! It was horrible. I found out statins interfer with the body's ability to absorb Coq10- the key nutrient for generating 95% of total energy required by the human body. I have been taking Emperors Essentials Coq10 supplements for some time now and it is amazing how much better I feel. I am still exercising and watching my diet. My BP & cholesterol are slowly getting under control! With a little luck I should be off statins in the near future. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!!