Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #1  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Question How long on average ...

does it take to hear back from insurance for approval? I finished my 6 months of Dr. supervised diet program and all the other things that are required by insurance. My surgeons office told me to give it 30 days before hearing but they also told me I could hear as soon as 2 weeks. I was wondering if any of you who have had the surgery can remember how long it took for you to hear back from your insurance. We have blue cross blue shield, if any of you have the same insurance it might give me some indication of how long it may take.

Im just so anxious about approval I thought I might ask the best people on the internet.

Thanks for you help,
Gina
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I have Aetna, and it only took about a week once they had all the documentation. I called the insurance company for a status update EVERY day once my pre-cert case was opened by my surgeon's insurance coordinator. And I am SO glad I did! That's how I found out the insurance company had requested additional info from my surgeon's office and they were sitting on their butts about it, so I contacted my surgeon's office directly and, lo and behold, my case status advanced the very next day.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #3  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Thanks Jillybean,
I will be more proactive in this I was just afraid they my decline me if I bug them. Oh, congrats on your surgery I hope your still doing well I look forward to reading about your progress as time goes by...........Gina
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaG View Post
Thanks Jillybean,
I will be more proactive in this I was just afraid they my decline me if I bug them. Oh, congrats on your surgery I hope your still doing well I look forward to reading about your progress as time goes by...........Gina
They won't decline you for bugging them - then they just know they'll have to deal with you even MORE through the appeals process!

I am still doing well; thanks for asking!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

Jilly has GREAT advice - it's kind of an interesting head game - we're ALL often so afraid of following up - and we gotta make some effort to re-focus - because this is ALL part of taking care of ourselves - being an advocate for our own health and well-being, and making sure that we get what we need.

As for me, my surgery wasn't approved until AFTER the fact - the surgeon's office had gotten what they determined was an 'approval,' but it wasn't. the final approval came a week AFTER the surgery!!! thank goodness!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Call them once a week... they love to play games like oh.. they never got the doctors info, stuff like that. Be aware and on top of them. The longer they stall the better for them. I also have BCBS. Make sure you write down each time who you spoke to, what they said and the date & time.

Good luck !!!!
Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote