South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default So Irritated

I am just SO irritated!! The artificial sweeteners are really screwing me up. I blogged about it AND decided to give them up, but I really need to vent so I don't go off and eat something stupid!

The first week of Phase 1, I only used artificial sweeteners VERY sparingly. No ricotta or other desserts. Water to drink. I used a teaspoon of agave in my tea (never more than 2 tsp a day) but nothing else sweet. I dropped 8 lbs.

The second week, I started making artificial sweetener desserts. I gave in and bought sugar free fudgesicles but never had more than one in a day. I got ricotta and started adding splenda to it. I started getting a "skinny latte" from Starbucks almost every day (a small one... nonfat milk, no sugar in it). I stayed well within my calorie range, still (about 1500/day on average). But I only lost ONE pound.

I thought maybe it was just slowing down after a good first week, but then in the last couple of days I have had cravings for stupid stuff like splenda mixed with cocoa and 1T nut butter, or cocoa and splenda in plain yogurt. I still stayed within the guidelines but in the past 2 days I GAINED TWO POUNDS!! WTH!

I know there are normal fluctuations. I've been doing this long enough to know that. BUT my body has been very predictable: if I am "on plan," I always drop a few pounds during TOM and again mid-cycle. Then plateau in between. Well, I am mid cycle and this is the time I would expect to have gone DOWN a few pounds. When I weighed this morning I was sooo irritated. I am just mad because it takes SO MUCH effort to lose weight but then it can go back up in an instant.

I know my body well enough to realize that *if* I fix the dietary problem (which I think is artificial sweeteners), that 2 lbs will drop back off within a couple of days. I am just annoyed that I have to stay so focused all the time.

Okay, vent over, fudgesicles in the trash can, no more coffees. Back to business...

Last edited by Lyn2007; 04-04-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Feel better now?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #3  

LOL, yes Ruth, thank you
Old 04-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #4  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

guess i'm lucky that i hate all articial sweeteners...the only thing i even like with them in are sf jello, pudding or jam.

i tried the hot chocolate recipe once and didn't even finish it all i could taste was the splenda
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #5  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

yeah... I'm not a fan of artificial sweetners anyway, and if you notice it's causing cravings or stalling your weight loss, I'd definitely dump it in the bin too!

but if you are getting a tall skinny latte from Starbucks "no sugar" I guess that means you were putting artificial sweetner in there yourself? (just curious - because I drink a triple tall skinny latte every day, but I add *nothing* to mine)
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velveteen View Post
but if you are getting a tall skinny latte from Starbucks "no sugar" I guess that means you were putting artificial sweetner in there yourself? (just curious - because I drink a triple tall skinny latte every day, but I add *nothing* to mine)
The flavored lattes (I get hazelnut) use artificially sweetened syrup in them. You don't add it yourself.

I have never had a problem with stalled loss or cravings related to use of artificial sweeteners. They have only enhanced my ability to stay with my eating plan and I'd die without my Coke Zero. Maybe you'll have a big "whoosh" loss soon!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #7  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

ah ok, but then i would have called it a tall SF Hazelnut Skinny latte Got it.

I never use sweetners in anything really. Not real sugar, not fake sugar. If I really need/want it, I'll have some honey (like in yoghurt) or just a spoonful of the real stuff.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #8  

Skinny latte = nonfat with artificial sweetener...
Nonfat latte = nonfat milk with no sweetener

But I am done with them anyway, at least for the most part. Maybe if I am out and about, once or twice a month, but that's it.

I actually had a whole grain english muffin (half) with peanut butter, and a whole grapefruit for breakfast this morning. Guess Phase 1 is over for me... I can't really take more than 2 weeks of it! I shouldve had some egg whites with it tho...
Old 04-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #9  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

I feel your pain! I'm in much the same place, though I don't think for the same reasons. I used artificial sweeteners from the start and also lost 8 lbs, but I've been gaining/losing about half a pound to 1.5 lbs every since, just hovering around the same point. It's so frustrating to lose a bunch of weight and suddenly stall.

Good luck with chucking the art. sweeteners and getting moving again!
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

It's pretty normal to stall after beginning Phase II. Just hang in there and be patient and the weight loss (albeit slower in Phase II) will start up again.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

When I transitioned from P1 to P2, my loss stalled for almost three weeks. I toyed with cutting out artifical sweeteners at that point, but I'm with Anne... if I couldn't treat myself with a Diet Coke or SF pudding, there is no way I could stick with SBD.
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:20 AM   #12  

Oh I know it slows down with Phase 2, but I was still on phase 1! It was my second week of phase one, and thats why it was soooo annoying!! Do I sound still annoyed? Don't mind me... it's been spring break with a pack of teenagers and a toddler, and a husband out of town. I am going mad...

Last edited by Lyn2007; 04-05-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #13  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

mine slowed after week one...lost alot first week then slowed way down
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lyn, I'm glad you're figuring out what works for you.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #15  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Lynn, you've started me thinking. I use a lot of Splenda and have always said that it helps me stay on-plan. But, maybe it has a lot to do with my slow weight loss.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote