Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #1  
Getting Better Every Day!

Location: Ireland - The green green grass and the grey grey skies

Height: 5ft 11"

Default Stuck. What am I doing wrong.

Ok so, put a wee bit of weight back on. Nothing major. But would like to get it off again. Having a bit of trouble.

This is what im eating:

Breakfast, 8AM: Good sized bowl of cereal.

10.30 AM : TEA with semi skimmed milk

Lunch, 1PM: Ham and Cheese sandwich, Banana, Sometimes Crisps (small bag)

Break, 3.30PM : Tea with semi skimmed milk.

Dinner, 6PM: Usually potatoes with chicken, fish or meat. Glass of milk

Night, 9PM-10PM: Piece of fruit

Of course, this changed a bit regarding the lunch and dinner but im in a work routine now so i dont really have the time to vary much.

Also.. In work, i work on a computer but a lot of the time i am walking about. I dont get much exercise, but im planning to get my bike fixed soon.

Am i eating too much, too little or just the wrong foods cuz nothing is moving.
ih8diets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #2  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Mark, are you trying to maintain, or lose?
Also, are you drinking alcohol at all (this is my biggest downfall)?

edited to add: sorry, I see that you are trying to lose. I'm not sure you are eating enough!

Last edited by PinkyPie; 04-04-2009 at 07:40 AM.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hey there. Good to hear from you.

I'm glad you're "catching" your regain while it's still tiny. Good job for recognizing it.

First of all, you say that you don't exercise much. Well, I think you know that exercise is a key factor in weight maintenance. So, up your exercise. FIND the time. You don't even need a bike. You can walk. Burns calories. Also, you might want to purchase a resistance band, get some weight training in. It can make a huge difference.

Your food.

Good sized bowl of cereal? What does GOOD mean? What kind of cereal?

Ham and cheese, skip the cheese. Add some tomatoes and lettuce. What kind of bread are you eating?

Potatoes? How about some higher fiber, lower calorie veggies. I'm really not seeing much in the way of fiber in your diet.

I'd love to see more protein and much more fiber in that menu of yours. I'd add in some veggies or fruit with that tea of yours. Grape tomatoes, baby carrots. A small apple. How's about some low or no fat dairy products? Cottage Cheese. Yogurt.

It always comes down to how many calories you're eating. Soooo, I think you need to start tracking them. And be consistient.

You know how to lose weight, you've done it before. How did you lose it then? Was it by eating the same things that you mentioned above? If not - get back to it. We don't want to see all your hard work go down the drain.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #4  

Velveteen, im trying to lose. I just updated my ticker And i dont drink alcohol much any more...

Rockinrobin, thanks for the reply. erm

Goodsized is prob like a bit more than i should have. Its fruit and fiber cereal.

Im eating wholemeail bread..

and in regards to how i lost weight the last time... Im not too sure. Becuase when i was losing the most i was at university and i was still drinking alcohol... i ate three meals a day and i suppose i was fairly active...

I really want to get my bike out. ANy other type of exercise bores me... walking.. and anything repetitive...
Old 04-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

Mark, are you 141 lbs? At 5 foot 11? Because if you are, you are well within the "normal" range and don't really *need* to lose weight.

Could it be that you're just not pleased with your body shape?

If so, maybe you really need to consider some weight training.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Mark, are you 141 lbs? At 5 foot 11? Because if you are, you are well within the "normal" range and don't really *need* to lose weight.

Could it be that you're just not pleased with your body shape?

If so, maybe you really need to consider some weight training.
well im actually 6ft... and i know im in the normal range.. just a few pounds i want to lose.. cuz i was at a happy weight... then i put on a few...
Old 04-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #7  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

find something you want to do for exercise...basketball is a good one, just get more active
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

Please keep in mind that as we age our boddies change as well. My sister just found a letter I wrote her when I was 16 years old I am now 46. I was away at Weight Watchers camp my parents sent me to I told her When they weighed me I was 149lbs, I now wiegh around 155 to go back and look at the pictures you would think I weighed 50lbs heavier then than I do now. Please do not go by the scale, If you get hung up on a number you will only hurt yourself.

Last edited by cdawnfine; 04-04-2009 at 08:27 AM.
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #9  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

so I was thinking too, more protein, less fat - can you have a turkey or chicken sandwich without the cheese or maybe something like Laughing Cow Light? (do you get that in Ireland)
Old 04-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

Mark at 141 lbs, you are barely in the normal range. At 132 lbs, you would be below normal - underweight. Underweight. Let's repeat that. Underweight.

I would urge you to take a good look at yourself (mostly within) and dig down deep and figure out why you would want to be underweight. I could perhaps see where *maybe* you wouldn't want to gain any more weight. And then if you want to tweak your diet, add in those fruits, veggies and proteins, make better choices - fine.

And definitely Mark, come on - find some exercise that you can at least tolerate, maybe it will grow on you. Start doing some lifting and watch your body transform even further. Concentrate on making your body better - not thinner.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #11  
Takin it 1 day at a time

S/C/G: 200/165/130

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Hey there. Good to hear from you.

I'm glad you're "catching" your regain while it's still tiny. Good job for recognizing it.

First of all, you say that you don't exercise much. Well, I think you know that exercise is a key factor in weight maintenance. So, up your exercise. FIND the time. You don't even need a bike. You can walk. Burns calories. Also, you might want to purchase a resistance band, get some weight training in. It can make a huge difference.

Your food.

Good sized bowl of cereal? What does GOOD mean? What kind of cereal?

Ham and cheese, skip the cheese. Add some tomatoes and lettuce. What kind of bread are you eating?

Potatoes? How about some higher fiber, lower calorie veggies. I'm really not seeing much in the way of fiber in your diet.

I'd love to see more protein and much more fiber in that menu of yours. I'd add in some veggies or fruit with that tea of yours. Grape tomatoes, baby carrots. A small apple. How's about some low or no fat dairy products? Cottage Cheese. Yogurt.

It always comes down to how many calories you're eating. Soooo, I think you need to start tracking them. And be consistient.

You know how to lose weight, you've done it before. How did you lose it then? Was it by eating the same things that you mentioned above? If not - get back to it. We don't want to see all your hard work go down the drain.
Quote:
Mark at 141 lbs, you are barely in the normal range. At 132 lbs, you would be below normal - underweight. Underweight. Let's repeat that. Underweight.

I would urge you to take a good look at yourself (mostly within) and dig down deep and figure out why you would want to be underweight. I could perhaps see where *maybe* you wouldn't want to gain any more weight. And then if you want to tweak your diet, add in those fruits, veggies and proteins, make better choices - fine.

And definitely Mark, come on - find some exercise that you can at least tolerate, maybe it will grow on you. Start doing some lifting and watch your body transform even further. Concentrate on making your body better - not thinner.
This is absolutely the best advice you can get - you should re-read this stuff. Especially the part about digging down deep - I remember (way way back in my past) when I too had finally got to my ideal body weight - then I was below and creeping towards "underweight" - YOU don't see the same body in the mirror that other people see. For me, I was heavy for so long - that I think the image of my heavy self was burned into my brain. So, everytime I looked in the mirror - I saw the heavy me staring back. Mark, do a body image assessment - WITH NEW EYES. What is it that you really see? Are you really a few "pounds" over your ideal weight? I think perhaps it might just be that you need to do some toning. If the bike works for you - then you just have to get back on that bike. And I highly recomment some weight training - firm up that flabby stuff. It takes more energy to carry around muscle - it will help to burn off that excess stuff you don't like.

If you are posting here for advice - my advice - listen to all the good advice. Good Luck

Last edited by debbies; 04-04-2009 at 11:28 AM.
debbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #12  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

you can't argue with such great advice!

Maybe, Mark, your brain is having a hard time accepting the new you vs. the old you. I don't know how long you were overweight (a few years? your teens? your whole life?) but I can tell you, love, it's a slippery slope if you don't also work on the way you see yourself in addition to your body. I am sure there are MANY people here, including myself, who can attest to that. If you don't change the way you see or accept yourself AFTER losing the weight, you are at risk to a) gain it back or b) possibly even develop disordered eating patterns.

So take care of yourself, and just be healthy and firm up and exercise. You have done such an amazing thing with your weight loss that you should be SO proud of!! WE are proud of you!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

are you counting calories? Even if you're not, there may be a lot of hidden calories depending on the amount of cereal, potatoes, and milk you're eating. Most cereal is actually pretty high in calories.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Still green and grey up there?

Now the other thing to consider is that you're older, and you're no longer a teen like you used to be. It would be fine for you to gain some muscle here and there. So, rather than trying to lose weight, I'd suggest that you try to gain muscle. Yeah, get out that bike again. Go hiking or biking on weekends. Consider some weights (used properly, of course).

And remember how you stalled out and had to increase your calories? Well, here we are again. Eat more, Mark! More protein! More vegetables! Yum!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:18 AM   #15  

Hey,

Thanks so much for all the replies.. It has made me properly think.. maybe i do need to just tone up the flabby bits.. ermm, my target area would probably be my stomach.. so what would i do for that? sit ups and all that craic?