Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/226/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Plateau

I know that this kind of question is probably asked everyday, but I've hit a HUGE plateau in my weight loss progress.
What do you recommend in trying to fix it?

Right now I'm taking in AROUND 1450 calories. It's sometimes a touch over.
I'm playing floor hockey twice a week, and I'm trying to walk at least 2-4 times a week for 20 minutes (on Wednesday I walked for 40 minutes, and today I walked to work which took me about the same amount of time, and, of course, I'll have to walk back). I'm not sure what else to do, really. Should I be eating more? I can't really exercise more, I've got to say. My legs are freaking KILLING me.

Thoughts?
Viktoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

How long have you been at a plateau? I ask because a lot of folks think they have stalled in their weight loss, but normal fluctuation can hide real progress for weeks.

I think your calorie levels sound fine. You might want to make sure you are eating high-quality foods with lots of good nutrients and limited sodium.

If your legs are the limiting factor in exercise, are there other forms of exercise you might try? Swimming gets rave reviews. Maybe some upper body work?
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #3  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

My suggestion would be to try upping your calories. There is no reason that at your height, weight and activity level you shouldnt be able to lose weight. I know for me personally ay your weight i was able to lose at about 1800 cals.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #4  

Quote:
How long have you been at a plateau?
About three weeks.
I was hoping that it was just water weight or period related, but no such luck.

And I think the reason my legs hurt so bad is that I just upped my walking from around 2 times a week to upwards of 4 (plus the floor hockey). It's just the increased level of activity that has me wishing my legs were made of steel! I'm sure that in due time they'll quit their complaining.

And as for swimming, I LOVE SWIMMING, and when the warmer weather comes I know I'll be doing it a lot. Unfortunately, I can't afford a membership to any of the places around here with indoor pools, so it remains a strictly summer activity.

Quote:
There is no reason that at your height, weight and activity level you shouldnt be able to lose weight.
You're right. I should be losing weight. I don't think I'm doing anything to impede my progress, which is why I'm kind of baffled that this 235 keeps staring back at me every morning. When I get on the scale and it hasn't moved, it's difficult not to get discouraged. But, I'm keeping my spirits up. This is the first time in my life that I've been REALLY dedicated to getting the pounds off. And I'm going to do it.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Your metabolism can be tricky. If it thinks you are trying to burn too many calories, it will slow down to conserve them, just in case you may be in a famine situation. If you haven't started burning more calories, but are just going along at an even pace, it will eventually decide that you don't need to burn so many calories for the fuel you expend, and it will slow down to meet what it believes are your actual fuel needs. So there are two ways to "jump start" your metabolism. Increase your exercise so that it will recognize that you need it to speed up and burn more calories for fuel OR eat more so that it will not think you are in a famine situation. If you have started exercising more but aren't taking in enough calories to cover it, your metabolism will conserve your calories just in case you are in a famine situation. So keep your exercise high, but do increase your calories to match it, at least for a week or two, to trick your metabolism into working properly again.

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 04-03-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

3 weeks really isn't that long,. although I know it seems like 3 months. Stay persistant and it will start coming off again.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
3 weeks really isn't that long,. although I know it seems like 3 months. Stay persistant and it will start coming off again.
Quoted for truth

3 weeks FEELS like forever, but it isn't. That's well within the range of "normal fluctuation". Give it at least another few weeks before you worry, OK? Most likely you'll start moving downward again shortly.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #8  

I agree with what has been said previously, 3 weeks isn't that long for a plateau, especially considering how much you've lost already. Our bodies need rest. Mine sure did, after about 40-50 pounds.

And you are not eating enough. I swear, half the women on this board are starving themselves. Just because the daily plate or whatever says to eat 1500 a day to lose 2 pounds a week doesn't mean its right, I think its actually extremely misleading. When I weighed what you weighed, I was eating way more than that. In fact, I still eat more than that, and when I bother to work out, I lose weight.

And don't force yourself to eat the same exact amount every day. You didn't mention if you vary your calorie intake or not, but it is normal and healthy to eat more on some days and less than others, and I think is the combination of varied intake with exercise that is effective. People call it calorie cycling around here, but if you ask me, its actually how people who naturally maintain their weight eat and isn't anything special.

So my suggestion is now, take a break. Don't eat like you used to, but don't adhere to that low intake, just eat when you are hungry, have a candy bar or whatever sweets you like a couple times a week that wouldn't normally fit in your plan, relax. Food isn't your enemy. Then, pick up again. Reevaluate your calorie intake and decide if you want to change it or not, and resume your diet. Some of the stress will be relieved from the deficiet without loss, because it will be more like maintaining for a week, and after another couple of weeks or so you should see some progress, or decide on a new plan. When I go lazy for a month and start up, it takes 2-3 weeks to see new progress.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #9  

Quote:
3 weeks FEELS like forever, but it isn't. That's well within the range of "normal fluctuation". Give it at least another few weeks before you worry, OK? Most likely you'll start moving downward again shortly.
That's good to hear. I've never really tried to lose a lot of weight before, and so I have absolutely NO concept of what's normal. The trouble is that I set little goals for myself, and then get nervous at the prospect of it not working out. Right now I'd really like to lose another 20-30 pounds by the end of June, and so far March has been pretty much a wash, so I'm a little freaky-outy, even though I know, ultimately, it's not a big deal.

Quote:
And you are not eating enough. I swear, half the women on this board are starving themselves.
I wouldn't say that I'm starving myself, but I am totally up for eating more food. I'm just a fan, really! And no, I haven't been calorie cycling. I don't really know anything about it...
Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Don't let yourself get all stressed out by numbers.
you have set a target and a time limit in which to achieve it and that is ok, but nature, i.e. your body, may havr other ideas!
calorie cycling just means that you average your calories for the week, but one day you'll eat (these are examples, not exact guidelines!!!) 1200 calories, the next day 1800.
And I do think, like the others, that you can up your intake a bit.
Good luck and whatever you do, don't stress about it. The body sees stress as a reason to conserve energy, and it will hang on to fat as much as possible.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote