South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #1  

Default purpose of P1 - ketosis?

Hi, I guess if you rigidly followed phase 1, you would go into ketosis. Has this happened to anyone? I have never really seriously dieted and thought SB might work for me. As far as it goes, my goal is to lose about 15 lbs, which may not seem like too much. But darn, I've now carried those extra lbs for about 5 years. I'm only 5'2" so 15 lbs is about 2 dress sizes. I could be more ambitious and try to lose down to my age 20's weight, but I figure carrying some extra weight is not a bad thing.

Long story short, I've never stuck with anything long enough to lose weight. On the plus side, I can eat and drink pretty much anything I want and maintain the weight I'm at, but I feel unhappy in my skin at this weight.

I'm working out of town and away from my skinny-eats whatever he wants-beer drinking husband and thought I might take advantage of this time to deprive myself of calories. I have to admit I'm rambling and also, I don't know that I will be able to maintain any weight loss once I return home. I'm hoping if I lose 7 lbs or so that I will be encouraged to keep it off. What's your experience with weight loss as a continuing motivator and how P1 worked for you? Ketosis or carb craving reduction.
NicRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

You can't go into ketosis if you're eating beans, yogurt, and nuts... at least that's my understanding of it. Anyone have more insight?

edit: to answer your Q... phase 1 eliminates cravings for me as long as I stay away from artificial sweeteners.

Last edited by Lyn2007; 04-03-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

First of all and to The Beach if you decide to join us.
Quote:
Hi, I guess if you rigidly followed phase 1, you would go into ketosis.
That is absolutely incorrect - you should not be in ketosis in Phase I. You may be confusing this plan with Atkins. I suggest you read the South Beach Book.

The two plans are very different. On Phase I of South Beach many vegetables are allowed and so are dairy products and legumes. The purpose of Phase I is to detox and get rid of carb cravings. After two weeks, whole grains and fruit are added. Check out the food lists in our FAQ Section and you'll see this is a nutritionally complete plan for a healthy lifestyle change.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #4  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

it your eating all your veggies on sb you should not go in ketosis. phase 1 is to get rid of the cravings. and you should not feel deprived at all. i never feel hungry unless i forget to take something with me when i'm away from home.
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #5  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

The purpose of Ph1 is to "detox" your body so you don't have bad cravings anymore.

SBD is really about lifestyle rather than a diet. Sure you'll lose some pounds, but if you don't make it a lifestyle change, you'll just gain it right back. It's more about taking care of your heart and putting good foods that your body can use into your body instead of crap.

Last edited by weezle; 04-03-2009 at 02:13 PM.
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:08 AM   #6  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Great replies! To enter into a mild state of ketosis you need to consume <100g carb/day. SBD PH1 includes beans/legumes & dairy so your daily carb count would be over that threshold.

SBD is really about a healthy eating lifestyle with the great benefit of weight loss. I wish I had known this info years ago when I was also one of those who could eat whatever they wanted. Those days ended over a decade ago and I didn't know to eat properly and adjust my portions/calories as I aged.

Good luck with your weight loss...whatever program you choose to follow.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

NicRic, did this answer your questions? Are you confused about the two plans?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote