Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/160

Height: 5'11

Default Salad Dressing

Im having trouble with salad dressings... i LOVE ranch. i could drink it its soo good. but i can NOT bring myself to eat fat free ranch. i find it so fake, and disgusting tasting. Plus with fat free, they just add more sugar, and i really hate the taste. i can deal with fat free italian, but thats the only fat free dressing i can eveb STAND. and after a while, i get sick of eating it everyday. in the beginning i was using regular ranch and was doing fine with that, but the further i get in my weight loss, the less weight i lose, so i need to cut out the regular now, if i want to continue to lose the amounts of weight i have been losing every week. does anyone have any ideas for dressing that are low in fat and low in calories that arent disgusting?
xpinkglowx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I like Ken's Raspberry Vinagrette Light. I water mine down though. I also completely adore Good Seasons Dressing mix--sold in the packet. I use about 1/4 the oil it asks you too. If you like real ranch just dilute it with milk. I also like straight red wine vinegar.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #3  

hmm. dilute it with milk? how does this help? im interested?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #4  

I also second ken's light dressings. all of them have been pretty tasty. I am sure that there are some undesirable ingredients in them, but i don't use much, and it helps me get in my veggies. Oh, i also like the good seasons italian made with less oil and balsamic vinegar. Yum.
angela105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #5  

ill have to try these. because hidden valley and kraft? they dont know how to do fat free...lol
Old 04-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #6  

I use hidden valley light ranch.Much better than ff ranch!!!!!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

harris is right--HV is wayyy better

pinkglow, put desired about of full fat dressing in a cruet, fill up with skim milk and shake the dickens out of it..voila..
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I like salsa on my salad. It goes a long way, and its really low calorie/fat. Sometimes I add some ranch to my salsa. Or I mix it with some hummus. That is a good way to get some protein in as well. I know this is not for everyone, but I like it!
lovesjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #9  

but how does mixing it with milk help with calories or fat, or being more healthy?

Last edited by xpinkglowx2; 04-02-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpinkglowx2 View Post
but how does mixing it with milk help with calories or fat, or being more healthy?
It dilutes the dressing it so it goes further (covers more salad per calorie), and the more milk you use, it reduces the calorie count that much more "per tablespoon." For example, if you make ranch dressing using just mayo - it's about 100 calories per tablespoon. However, skim milk is about 5 calories per tablespoon, and whole milk still has less than 10 calories per tablespoon, so if you make ranch dressing with half milk or buttermilk, you cut the calories nearly in half - and if you use a 50 calorie mayonaise and skim or low fat buttermilk, you've brought the calories down to under 30 calories per tablesoon. I use Hellman's canola or olive oil mayonaise to make my creamy salad dressings (they both have only 50 calories per tablespoon, half the calories of regular mayo, but I think the taste is much closer to "regular" mayos than most lite versions).

"Dilution" is one of my main weight loss food tricks. I use it in all sorts of ways. By combining lower calorie foods to extend higher calorie foods, you reduce the overall calorie or fat count.

For example, I "dilute" browned ground beef with tvp. TVP (textured vegetable protein - also called TSP, textured soy protein). It makes a good ground beef substitute and is much lower in fat (nearly fat free) and much fewr calories per ounce than ground beef (or any ground meats)- but it also has very little flavor of it's own, and not everyone likes the texture. I like it, but don't love it. My husband hates it - so I found a way to make us both happy and combine ground beef and tvp to make "ground beef" with the calorie and fat content of the more expensive lean meats like ground chicken (which is expensive and hard to find), turkey (which neither of us care for don't like) or beef (which is expensive, and tends to be dry, where the tvp really holds moisture well). It also helps me save money, because tvp is about 1/4 the cost of cheap ground beef, and I can combine it with cheap, fatty ground beef (70 -80% lean). So I can buy "cheap" ground beef and tvp and make a mixture that is nutritionally more similar to the very expensive 90% or leaner ground meats for less than the price of the cheapest hamburger.

When I have a taste for something that's calorie-dense, I dilute it in other ways too. Like when I had a taste for fast food fried chicken - I bought a box of popcorn chicken and poured it over a large plate of lettuce with my diluted buttermilk dressing. I've done the same making a huge "taco salad" by crumbling one Taco Bell taco over a large plate of lettuce with a mixture of salsa and fat free sour cream as it's dressing. I was just as satisfied with my taco salad (300 calories) as my husband was with his 4 tacos (720 calories).

Last edited by kaplods; 04-02-2009 at 07:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #11  

Height: 5' 6

I couldn't agree more about the ranch dressing... I must have it and fat free is DISGUSTING! Kraft makes a "light" ranch which has pretty much saved my life!!! It tastes great, it's only 80 calories per 2 TBSP, and has half the fat of regular ranch dressing. I would highly recommend it
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #12  

ill have to try the light dressing vs. the fat free - and i never knew about the diluting trick, ill def. have to try that as well, it seems to have worked great for you! thanks guys!