General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #1  
Amy

S/C/G: 210/182/145

Height: 5'6

Default Always Tired

I am always tired. I cannot figure out why I am. I have been this way for as long as I can remember. I have been to the doctor about it and they never really gave me an explanation or advice. Is there anyone else with this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to stop feeling this way all of the time. It's not like I have a hard or stressful job and I drink plenty of water. I hate feeling this way
LuvMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Well that's very general. I mean, do you feel like you could sleep 12 hours and still be tired? DO you get enough sleep? How many hours a night? Are you married/bf? Do they ever say you snore or make noise in your sleep at night?

For me, I could sleep and sleep and sleep and NEVER feel rested. It just seemed to happen overnight- after about a year of constantly being tired my hubby tells me one day "you snore in your sleep sometimes."

I was like hmm no one before has EVER told me this. And I used to share a room with my sister so I'd figure she'd mention it. Then I started looking around online and heard about SLEEP APNEA. Looked it up and was like dang this sounds like me. Went to the doctor and filled out some forms and my hubby had to fill one out too since he slept with me at night. Then based on the questionaire we filled out I did a sleep test and found out YUP I had MILD sleep apnea. I was like mild oh GOD what is it like if it was moderate or severe? I found out I stopped breathing 10x an hour for like 12 seconds at a time!

AND after I got my CPAP machine (which new CPAPs are so much better nowadays) I have never looked back. It took a few weeks to get used to it- but I LOVE IT. I even got a travel case with it in case I need to go somewhere- it's awesome- I won't spend the night anywhere without it.

You might want to check into that if you think that might be your case.

ORRR I'm way off
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #3  

Sleep apnea can definitely be one thing. Also, have they checked your thyroid? Is it possible you are suffering from depression? It really could be any number of things. I think you should talk it over with your doctor again, and if he or she won't listen to you, then maybe find another one who will? I don't know, just throwing that out there for you.
meeko77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

1) Adrenal fatigue
2) Low iron
3) Thyroid issue
4) Diet-related - possible food allergy
5) Sleep apnea
6) Sleep hygiene - either you're not getting enough or too much, waking up during the evening, etc.
7) Some prescription medications

I had the same problem all my life, and then I began to address my adrenal fatigue and low iron. Wow - my entire life/energy changed for the better.

Could any of the above be true for you?

~Choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #5  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

What's your diet like? Lots of processed food, white sugar, white flour, white rice? If that stuff is in your diet and you don't eat many fresh veggies and fruit, or healthy fat, or protein, then it's most likely your diet. A clean, healthy diet will give anyone tons more energy than a diet full of crap.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #6  
Amy

Thanks for all of the replies. I live with my fiance and he tells me I snore sometimes, but not all the time. I get between 8 and 9 hours of sleep most nights. I feel like no matter how much sleep I get it is never enough. I just feel drained all the time, no energy. I suppose it is possible I may suffer from depression. I believe they checked my thyroid before and no problems there. I do eat a fairly clean diet with low sugar, wheat breads/rices, lots of veggies and fruits, plus protein. I do not take any prescription meds. I suppose I will have to address the issue again with my doctor once I get health insurance again.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm anemic and when I have low iron I get really tired like you. Maybe look at increasing iron rich foods & see if that helps.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMilo View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I live with my fiance and he tells me I snore sometimes, but not all the time. I get between 8 and 9 hours of sleep most nights. I feel like no matter how much sleep I get it is never enough. I just feel drained all the time, no energy. I suppose it is possible I may suffer from depression. I believe they checked my thyroid before and no problems there. I do eat a fairly clean diet with low sugar, wheat breads/rices, lots of veggies and fruits, plus protein. I do not take any prescription meds. I suppose I will have to address the issue again with my doctor once I get health insurance again.
I would get your iron checked, and if you are interested, there is a site where you can check out if you have adrenal fatigue. If you get your iron (ferritin) checked, make sure YOU get a copy of your result. The range that doctors consider "normal" is vast, and just because you fall into the test range doesn't mean it's "normal" for you.
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/

~Choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I would check into sleep apnea- I'd "snore sometimes" according to my hubby and that snoring was actually my body trying to breathe!

Please don't ignore it- sleep apnea is VERY dangerous and you CAN die in your sleep from it. It also enlarges your heart, raises your blood pressure, and so on!

8-9 is a very good amount of sleep IMO so that also makes me wonder if it's a sleeping disorder- and being tired all day was another symptom I had. When I went to the doctor and told her I thought I had it- filling out that questionaire made me realize "dang I'm saying YES to a lot of these things..."

Last edited by beerab; 04-01-2009 at 06:21 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

i would definately check all the above suggestions..but also...are you exercising. I find i have more energy afte about 2-3 wks of constant exercise (its rough at first) but then my body loves it. But def. go get all those things checked out. If you aren't happy with your dr's answer...go to another dr. Good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

I know this is going to sound weird but the baseline thyroid test doesnt always show a problem. In my husband family its takes another test. So far each members baseline test was fine but the next test showed problem. Good luck!! I would also suggest exercise...i know its hard to get started but it sure pays off in the end.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #12  

I have same issue.I also hope to find an answer.My doctor has been looking for a cause for years???????
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #13  
Amy

Thanks for all of your help. I plan to talk to my doctor about this once I get insurance. I also plan on making myself exercise regularly once I return from my honeymoon in two weeks. I do believe that may help. Lets hope so *fingers crossed*

harrismm - good luck to you, let me know if you find anything out!

My mom told me the other day, that my dads sister was like this her whole life too, so I'm wondering if it could be something genetic? Evidently she went to several doctors and never found anything out.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #14  

Height: 5'6"

Chronic fatique here too. As far back as middle school I have always felt like I don't get enough sleep evening sleeping 10-12 hours a night. In high school I slept, seriously my way through school and had a very hard time during nursing school. I had to go to several doctors before they finally diagnosed me. So if you keep asking you doctor what's up and they don't do something ( or try to find out what's wrong) go somewhere else!
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

You've already got good advice, so I don't have much to add... just wanted to say that I know how you feel! I was like that for a few years. I could sleep 12 hours and still be tired... and as a college student, I really only had about 6 hours each night, so I was exhausted. It's so tough -- definitely keep bugging your doctor about it, no one should feel that way!

In my case it turned out to my hormonal birth control (depo-provera, but I think the birth control pills made me a little tired, too, I don't really remember).
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote