Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 286.5/286.0/160?

Height: 5'10

Default Losing weight post thyroidectomy

I had a total thyroidectomy in September 2008 due to large cysts on my thyroid that kepy re-accumulating. The cysts did turn out to be non-malignant so I neeed no further treatment after surgery. I was already battling with my weight (need to lose about 100 lbs) pre-surgery and was very worried about being profoundly hypothyroid post surgery and how that would affect my weight.

On the upside, that fear caused me to become very diligent about doucmenting what I eat and working out and despite very high TSH levels I have lost about 10 lbs. But I have many of the hypo symtoms - excessive fatigue, constipation, mental fuzziness, depression and feel my weight loss results are slow due to thyroid function. Every 6-8 weeks, my TSH is tested and my Synthroid dose increased but I am still outside normal limits for TSH at Synthroid 175 mcg. I am sick of feeling this way and wonder how long it will take for levels to stabilize.

I would love to hear people's experience with this and how they coped! thx
losingnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #2  

I had a TT in October of 2006, and had to have further treatment for cancer, but now I am good. Because of that they keep me a little hyper. That doesn't help me lose weight either, but I have found doing what you are doing is helping me. Document what you eat and workout. Once you get regulated you should feel lots better. I was pretty lucky that they hit the right dose on the first try. I've had my meds lowered since then, but get checked every 3 months. The only thing I can suggest is keep plugging and trust in your dr, if you don't feel you can trust them find a new one. Everyone reacts differently.
Good Luck
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 286.5/286.0/160?

Height: 5'10

thanks for the advice!
losingnyc is offline   Reply With Quote