Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Default walking with dogs

Hi!
my dog is a 10 year old pit bull. Although he has HORRIBLE socialization skills, which is why i don't take him out much, i'd like to start walking him more often, good for me, good for him.

anyone else have a dog for a workout buddy?

I took him on a short walk last night. just around the block. i think he rather had fun, sniffing trees and peeing on them.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Oh I wish! One of my 5 dogs is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross, loves people, used to hate other dogs. Now I'm not sure how she'd be unmuzzled, and then I worry that if she's muzzled she couldn't defend herself, so she doesn't get nearly the exercise she should cos I panic all round the walk.
I wish I lived closer to Ohio!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #3  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

I have a lab mix that definitely needs more exercise. DH walks/runs him in the AM when he goes, but slacked off over the winter. I walk him to and from the bus stop twice a day, but that's only a short walk.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #4  
Meredith

S/C/G: 175/160/150

Height: 5'4"

I have a sweet natured german shepherd who doesn't stop on a walk at all...no plastic bags for poop, no pee breaks...he just loves to go for walks! The only thing is, everytime we walk I feel like it is "National Squirrel and Bird Day," because they are all out, and he loves to chase them. After a couple of pulls, though, he kind of looks at me and says, "I know, I won't chase them." He is awesome!!
meredithann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #5  
Where'd my 23yo body go?

Height: 5'3"

My dog is 11, and I can't take him for walks. I would LOVE to, but he hates other dogs. Going to the vet is a nightmare.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #6  

daydreamer, my dog is the same way. (he's even almost the same age at 10)

but i have to walk him either before the nieghbor hood wakes or after the neighborhood goes to sleep to reduce the odds of running in to another dog!

what kind of dog is he?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/155/140

Height: 5'2

I have 3 dogs, a lab/sharpei mix adn rott/chow mix and a Rottweiler. The first two are 14-15 years old and have decided they dont like much of anything, LOL. The rotti is only 3 and LOOOOVES walks. Now that the weather is finally getting nicer, I think it's double stroller adn leash time.
JacobnJalynsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #8  

I have a 3 year old, overly excited pitbull. All he wants to do is sniff and tinkle on the bushes as well. I try to take him on walks in the morning after all the kids have gone to school and the neighborhood is pretty quiet. He has a very short attention span and wants to jump on and lick every person he sees! Cesar Milan (LOL!) says dog owners should strive to get 40 minutes of continuous exercise in with their dog per day. I usually range between 30-40 minutes. My advice is to play a few rounds of fetch with him to tire him out a little, then take him on a walk. I let my dog run and tinkle on the all the bushes for a while and then continue on with our walk. He's so pooped by the time we get home!
sjdphc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #9  

I have 3 dogs that love to walk.We cant even say the "W word" without them going crazy.2 Golderdoodles and 1 Doxie.They love it to the point that I feel guilty for not taking them.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #10  
rainy

Mine is a 5 years sheperd dog, most times my parents take her out, I think twice a day, though in the weekend I get the time too. I love going running with her, lol, either I follow her, or she pull me!!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 364/363/200

Height: 5'4"

I should walk my dogs more - good for all of us. I have two little pug boys that pull like sled dogs. For those with rambunctious bigger dogs can I suggest a gentle leader. It is not a choke chain or anything like that at all, It has a small loop that slips around their muzzle - they can still open their mouth. the string from the loop runs through a loop on the chest and up to the lead. If they try to pull or charge forward it pulls the nose down and they stop. I wish my pugs had enough nose for them - they pulled my husband off our deck and broke his foot the little monsters.
madamruppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #12  

my dogs issue isn't so much high energy, or pulling (we do have a halti leader that solved that problem), or jumping on people, Although he does all of that too.

I can't pass by another dog without him lunging, pulling (even with the head halter) and snarling like a maniac. So, not only am i afraid of a potential dog fight resulting in injury and/or vet bills and/or law suit, it's also quite embarrassing!!!!!!

Unfortunately i think it was bred into him, so it would be really hard to break, and i dont' really have any volunteer owners and dogs willing to help me with training!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #13  

One of the thing that I plan on doing more now that I'm at home and the nice season is coming, is trying to take my dog out for walks to the park more often.
My dogs (I have two) are free to come and go between the house and the garden as they please, either because we are here to open the doors for them, or they have dog-sized catflaps downstairs (that's where we leave them when we leave the house). So no need to go on daily walks, they run around a lot, go and "use their toilet", lay out there in sun, come back in as they please...
One of the two dogs is quite old (turning 16 this year), has gone blind, is partially deaf and has a lot of other problems - he's better safely at home, where he has a precise mental map of the house (really,m it's impressive - if we move anything from its regular position he's sure of bumping into it, but otherwise, you wouldn't almost notice he can't see!).
The other dog is 11, is in good physical conditions, has a MUCH better character, and I sometimes used to take her out to a nearby park for long runs before work got too crazy.. now I definitely want to pick up this habit again!
I had a walk with her the other day and it felt good! walking on the grass and the uneven terrain was quite a bit of exercise, esp. considering that most of the time it was very fast walking, if not running, to catch up with my dog... sounds good, doesn't it?

Last edited by alhrayth; 04-10-2009 at 09:44 AM.
alhrayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

We have four dogs and each of them have their own special idiosynchasies when walking. The biggest one is a nightmare and pulls and fights other dogs. My husband takes him fishing with him sometimes. The other big dog is a pit bull and she is really sweet until another dog tries to intimidate her. Since she is so strong, it is hard to control her when there is a confrontation. Plus, she is lazy and tries to lay down if we walk too much. The middle dog is a heeler and chases cars and bikes, but she is the most fun to take out because she has energy and doesn't pull. I take her running sometimes. The little one is a pug and spoiled. She is still a baby and has gone for walks only a couple of times. We are lucky to live in the country and they have a big field to run in so taking them for walks is only for our amusement.

I think you have to take a dog on the same walk for awhile and they get used to it and it becomes easier.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #15  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

A few years ago (just out of college, living in a small apartment) I was so desperate for a workout buddy that I used to take my CAT for walks. He was unwilling to walk at a brisk pace so he rode along in a little front pack sling made for pets.

I now have a little 2 year old beagle, Lucy, that loves to go walking with me. The part of Houston that I live in is not conducive to long walks (no sidewalks, busy streets) so I drive to a local park at least 2 times a week after work. Lucy and I take long hikes in the forest or a couple of laps around a jogging path.

I just find having someone along enjoying the experience with you is so much more motivating than just going out for a walk alone. I also feel a little safer, even if my little girl would be more likely to be friendly to an attacker than anything else.

-Becca
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote