Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #1  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Default How I lost 260lbs

PLEASE READ!

The story of FresnoBeeDude is very inspirational. He was living his hopes and dreams and was training for a Triathlon when in September 2009 he drowned and passed away. He was an inspiration to many. I hope you read his story and look at him as an inspiration.

RIP Steven, you are missed.

A forum member just emailed me asking how I did it. I thought I would copy/paste my reply here. Maybe my story can inspire others? I don't post much nowadays on 3fc as I as just really busy between work and working out. Check out my myspace at www.myspace.com/edudeebonserf and don't forget to check the transformations pics

Ok....here we go. How did I lose the weight? Determination/motivation/willpower. I have the desire to be "normal". I also want to live.

Let me explain.

Sometime in 2005 I had myself weighed on a truck scale (no vehicle, just me standing on this scale). Twice I was told I weighed 550. That put me in denial. Surely, the scale wasn't calibrated properly? Plus, with my "small" weight compared to a bigrig, maybe I was standing imprperly (not centered, etc). Just making excuses.

December 2005, I made a New Years Resolution. I will no longer eat fast food, and lose this weight. I am tired of being a quarter ton. I had low self-esteem, zero sex drive (who wants to be with a 500+lb man?!?!? - In my mind I saw that, years later I see couples who weigh around this). I bought a scale that went up to 550lbs off of eBay. On January 1st I officially weighed in at 510lbs. I signed up at the local gym. Did the exercise bike 10 mins a day (i got pooped, I figured that was good enough). I took OTC pills (trimspa, etc), ate 1 meal a day. In Jan/Feb an old friend and I decided to organize a 20 yr grade school reunion. I did not want my classmates to see me this large. I needed to lose as much as possible by May. I did lose 30lbs for the reunion. Around Feb I fell sick with the flu. I cancelled my gym membership.

Unfortunately during this time, I started to lose my vision. My eyesight became increasinly blurry. I blamed this on my lifestyle. Work 8 hrs a day at a computer, come home play 8 hrs a day on my computer. When sleeping, I would wake up with no feeling in either one of my feet or hands. In May I became VERY thirsty. I would drink, drink, drink. Unfortunately that made me pee, pee, pee! I got so tired of urinating, I tried to stop drinking water. My mouth would become so crusted/dried up, I needed water. It was a constant battle. By this time, the only way I could see is if the object was right in front of my face.

When I came back from my vacation/reunion, I checked myself into the health clinic. I told the nurse, "I think I have diabetes". After a couple of tests, we learned I was diabetic. I was also informed at my blood sugar/urine ketone levels that if I had waited 1 more day, I would have gone through a diabetic coma and died. I was admitted to the ER to bring my glucose under control. I spent 5 days in the hospital. The nurses brought me literature on diabetes, the diabetic food exchange diet, etc.. I was told to limit my caloric intake to 1800 calories. I got a pat on the back, and "Good Luck!"

When I was released from the hospital, I was determined to learn everything about everything. I purchased tons of books on Amazon and started to educate myself. I read books on diabetes, on dieting/nutrition, weight training, weight loss success stories. I visited my Doctor for the 1st time in July. I told him I wanted to go back to the gym, but didn't know what I was doing. I needed his advice. He suggested that I use the machines. One day work on my back, one day on legs, one day on chest/arms. Do 30 mins a day of cardio. I had no idea what all that equipment did. I asked a couple of people at the gym to show me how to use it. They were MORE then happy to guide me. I had no idea what to do, I just pushed/pulled for about say 5 mins or so. Eventually I paid a trainer to give me a better routine. I stuck with the routine for several months. During this time I took a interest in weightlifting. I wanted to learn more. So I thought I would seek out the expert. I bought Ahhnold's bodybuilding encyclopedia and read that sucka from cover to cover! I paid for another trainer session. She basically had me increase my reps/sets.

In the meantime, even though I was at my second home (the gym) on a daily basis, I strived to push myself fitness-wise. 5 months after being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I registered for a 5 mile walk for ADA. Took 2 hours and 5 mins. I did this at 386lbs (yes 386, I was, what my doctor commented as, losing the same weight as if I got "the surgery"). My feet were burning.

After that I continued walking. Walked 3 miles a day to work, in the summer, in the heat. A friend at work told me about a friend of hers organizing a weekly walking/running club (people evidently were training for a 1/2 marathon). I asked to participate in this group. I showed up weekly, I would walk more then I did the week before. By the end of summer I was able to walk 13 miles. After a couple weeks, I learned that the person who organized this club was a personal trainer. I told her my situation. I told her that I was getting bored mentally/physically of doing the same old stuff daily. Initially she agreed to come to my gym and help me out. Instead, she got me into her gym, and gave me a couple months of personal training. She taught me how to push myself, about form, about exercise, etc. A seed was planted in my little brain at that time. I too, wanted to become a personal trainer. She gave me the guidance I needed for this.

I have a drive to become "normal" It may seem narcissistic but after learning what the "perfect" measurments are for a man (eg, anything more then a 40" waist you are at risk to getting diabetes, etc), this is what I set my goals at. Initially I wanted to be less then 200lbs, but because of my bodybuilding lifestyle, that is not possible. I am now wanting to be at 17% body fat (fitness level).

By the way, due to my desires to lose the weight, I am not on any medications anymore. My levels are constantly in the "normal range" (this includes cholesterol, etc).

November 2007 I walked that 1/2 marathon. I ranked 2nd place for my age group, and 135 out of 204 for the walkers. November 2008 I RAN that 13 miles in 3 hrs. I am constantly pushing myself in these events. I recently completed a 45 mile bike ride with my girlfriend (the friend who introduced me to that person who did the running club - I finally asked her out this past December) She/I have the same goals. She has done 5 century bike rides, as well as triatholons, and other events. We have done 5k/10k's together as well.

The trainer and I have become very good friends as well. She advised me on who to seek out my personal training certificate. I passed my test This January. I am currently studying to become a Lifestyle Weight Management Consultant. At 36 yrs old, I am going back to school in the fall to take up physical education.

Besides the appearance, I have changed in many, many weighs, er ways inside and out. That new years resolution was the greatest decision I ever made.

I do have a 14 page blog on myspace going over my advise on how to become successful. Common sense type stuff. The blog started small, because friends kept asking me how I did it. I constantly added to it when I had new thoughts. Worth a read. And of course, I have my transformation pics there as well.

Did I answer your questions smile?

Steven, ACE-CPT

Last edited by nelie; 04-19-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: wanted to add information about his death
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

OMG!!! What a motivation you are...
I am at work right now... but when I get home I'll check your myspace page...
Thank you for sharing your story!!!
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

"Well done!" just doesn't seem enough, congratulations a million times on your fantastic acheivement!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

Awesome!
TheRightWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:34 AM   #5  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Well done! A great inspirational story! Thank you so much for sharing.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:54 AM   #6  
the skies way bigger.

S/C/G: 66/61/50

Height: 5'3"

That is so fantastic, it's beyond words. You did really good, and it all came from you. There weren't anyone around you pushing you, and you just got up and did it.

Man, I wished I had that kind of motivation.
lixximajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #7  

wow!!!!!!!!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/see ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Congrats! What a great story. Real inspiration!
Looking4Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

Wow Steve, great story. What an inspriation!!!
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

You have achieved so much for one human being, truly. I'm off to see your blog and pics. I have to lose 110-120 total and knowing that someone else has lost so much more and changed so drastically -- well, I really appreciate that. Thanks for sharing.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #11  

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
meeko77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #12  
shellyg

S/C/G: 157/137/122

Height: 5'2''

what a great story. Thanks for giving all people the motivation to keep going!
shellyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your story!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #14  
sugar is the devil

You are amazing...!
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #15  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

That's amazing!!!
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote