Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default How many people here hate cravings when trying to lose weight?

I find cravings so annoying!

I've had chocolate on the brain for the last couple of days... I haven't had the desire to have any chocolate since I last had some in October of last year.

But I figured, I might as well have a serving of dark bitter chocolate tonight and get the craving over with.

UGH!

Anyone else find cravings just the pits when trying to lose weight?

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Heck yeah! And it seems like if you try and ignore it for a few days it just won't go away. It is like nagging you until you give in to just a LITTLE bit!
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #3  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

The beauty (well, one of the beautiful things) about low-low carb is, no cravings. I haven't had a real craving (i.e., more than just a passing thought) for anything with carbs in 7 months. Life is good.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 227/206/130

Height: 5'5"

PPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAA!!
I have pizza on the brain right now - not good healthy homemade pizza, but fattening greasy pizza! I know you have to give in to these sometimes before you can move on, but I know I will regret it so bad. Good luck with your cravings!
Lovlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:06 AM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

I have heard that if you are craving chocolate then you might be low in magnesium.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:25 AM   #6  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

I just finished having 2 small squares of good dark chocolate, I was having a craving too. But now my craving has been satiated, and I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 squares.
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:30 AM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

When I'm not worrying about what I'm eating, I don't recognize cravings. I just eat what I want. But the moment I cut back and track what I want, suddenly I crave pasta with olive oil and garlic, chocolate, queen olives stuffed with almonds, and anything with cheese. I also crave arugula greens topped with sardines packed in olive oil and lemon juice. Fatty foods with strong flavors, basically.

Overeating healthy foods is still overeating, isn't it?

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 AM   #8  

Potato chips! I constantly grave them. I gave in a week ago and had a handful of the baked Lays, not the same thing. I crave the salt and the grease that is left in the bowl. So I just haven't allowed myself to by them. I refuse to even go down that isle in the grocery store.
learningtoliveagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

When I have a craving (a REAL craving, not a passing thought!), I just try to work it into my calories for the day. Craving chocolate doesn't mean I have to eat a whole king-size bar. Craving pizza doesn't mean I have to eat the whole pie. Craving wine doesn't mean I need to finish the bottle. And usually a slice of pizza, a glass or two of wine, or a small piece of chocolate, if it's really what I want, can be worked into my calorie allocation without too much trouble.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #10  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Ice Cream!!!!!!! Damn Ice Cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

Height: 5'6"

Ooooohhhhh they annoy me too! I tend to crave salt vs sugar, but it hasn't stopped me from eating sugary crap lately
I LOVE Ruffles Plain chips...it's my main vice, but I've been good and haven't had any in well over a month. Instead...I gave into movie popcorn on the weekend...the next "best" thing....UGH!
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:06 AM   #12  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Oh, yes - I hate the cravings. My weakness is the salt. I had a rough week with that last week - until I discovered (after 15 years of binge behavior) that viciously hot sauce/salsa can kill it with minimal damage. I'm still battling the desire for the salty chips, the whole jar of pickles, or yeah - straight salt ... but celery sticks with habanero salsa have become my uncomfortable comfort food. Much to my surprise - those hot peppers have a lot of nutritional benefit!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

Ice cream and it will just get worse this summer. I was getting ice cream out for the kids and I did lick the spoon, what I realized is it was not as wonderful as I remembered and hope that will satisfy my craving for a little while.

I usually do not eat much salt, but Sunday my husband brought home McDonalds for the kids and all I could think about was french fries or at least licking the salt off of the fries.. Not sure why..but I resisted.
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 191/see ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

If I'm not around it I don't really crave it. However my issue is being out and seeing what other people are eating! Then of course I want what they are having!
Looking4Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
How many people here hate cravings when trying to lose weight?
Not me. I absolutely LOVE having cravings. Love, love, LOVE them.

Okay, sorry, but I couldn't resist. But honestly, I can't imagine anyone really enjoying having cravings for off-plan foods. They're strong and oh so annoying.

Luckily, when I gave up the stuff that I craved the most, the desire for them greatly diminished. And lo and behold, I now actually crave the healthy stuff. What an unbelievable miracle!! So craving the healthy stuff is not an issue for me.

Now, when I "crave" things, it's usually because I see them. More of a temptation then an actually craving. Like if I'm at someone's house or a party and I'm faced with tempting foods. More like a spoiled brat, little kid, rant, "I want it. I want it. I want it."

At that point, I rely heavily on "self-talk" as I have to remind myself that just because I want something, doesn't mean that I HAVE to have it. That absolutely nothing terrible will happen to me if I don't eat it. Just the opposite in fact. That I am an adult and that I eat responsibly, sensibly, mindfully and intelligently. I have self-talked my way out of many a sticky situation. Luckily, most of the times it works, other times - not asmuch.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote