Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Can't see the forest for the trees

This expression has been popping into my head a few times this morning while I was reading posts. It implies that Ms Q Public is so involved in the details that she can not see the bigger picture. Three ounces of chicken ... no two ounces, but how many calories were in that sandwich she had at that baby shower this morning? The cucumber roll would have been a better choice. Skip the chicken and eat tuna instead? If Mr Q would watch the children she could walk to her mother's this evening. But what if Mom has cookies out? Maybe she'll just skip her evening snack and have Junior's left over cookie crumbs now. Or she could walk up and down the stairs while the chicken is baking. It'd be sooo much easier if there was a treadmill in the kitchen. If she just had back the money she spent on that lawn furniture. She read online that her optimal caloric intake should be 1900 calories. She would have liked to try 1750 but the other site said 2100 so maybe 2500 on the weekend wouldn't be so bad. If she only knew the count on that sandwich she could start counting today ...

I believe that the inverse is often also true. That Ms Q Public can be so focussed on the long range that she fails to see the stones under her feet. She may have vowed to walk ten miles in ten days but figures the doesn't necessarily mean she has to walk a mile today. She can always walk two tomorrow.

There is also the little matter of complacency. This is where Ms Q Public has done it before and knows what to do and can do it again. She knows she's cheated and still lost. She knows she's skipped a work-out and still lost. She knows that being 155 felt OK and figures maybe 140 wouldn't be all that exciting anyway.

Think on these. Into which thought process did you fall this weekend? (since weekends seem to be such a challenge) Will this knowledge help you cope with the next weekend? or the next holiday weekend?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #2  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I love this! I didn't fall into any of these categories (for once)this weekend.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

hehe...

Guess I'm just getting old and tired of all the drama. I'm liking the simple life these days. Just do it and move on.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
There is also the little matter of complacency. This is where Ms Q Public has done it before and knows what to do and can do it again. She knows she's cheated and still lost. She knows she's skipped a work-out and still lost. She knows that being 155 felt OK and figures maybe 140 wouldn't be all that exciting anyway.
Well that's certainly me. Or it was me.

It was that thinking of "you know, 145 doesn't feel all that bad.." Well, it was only in hindsight when I was up to 155 when 145 seemed acceptable.

It just doesn't work out very well that way, does it?

great post, Susan!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I'm with Lori. Just do it and move on. I treat the weekends like any other day... which it is.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #6  
Workin' It

This weekend I was definitely a 'can't see the forest for the trees' person. I obsessed over everything I ate and the water weight I had from too much sodium and not enough water, forgot I was happily in my maintenance zone anyway and ended up eating too many of my calories in junk because I was so focused on little details that I got frustrated when I couldn't figure everything out right away...

Wow - long run on sentence...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-30-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #7  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

It was that kind of thinking that blew it for me the last time I tried to lose weight. I had lost about 40lbs and then decided I was gonna reward myself and nitpicked every little decision and bam!!! I added the 40 back plus some, so that kind of thinking is done for me...I'm not perfect, but I can be disciplined and I will be!!!! Moving on.......lol
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #8  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I go through all three of these at times. Weekends are especially difficult for me.. I know in theory they are just like any other day but not the way my life is right now.

Anyway, great post, great food for thought!
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote