Old 03-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #1  

Default Night Shift Support Group

Is there a support group for night shift workers?
sjdphc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Not that I know of, but there is usually someone on the forums 24/7. Due to different time zones there is almost always someone one on. Try the differnet forums , you will probably find what you are looking for.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #3  

Well, to start, I work nights. I got serious about losing weight last week. I get off in the morning and head straight to the gym where I did (and plan on continuing) 60 minutes on the elliptical and upper body strength training on Mon, Wed, Fri and lower body strength training on Tues, Thurs. I also try to walk my dog 7 days a week for at least 30 minutes/day.

My eating is boring. But I read somewhere that "you eat the boring foods to get an exciting body". LOL. My meals usually consist of the following:

B: yogurt, wheat toast and fruit

L: 4 oz of either fish or chicken, 1/2 plate of veggies, salad, fruit, and a yogurt or SF pudding

I then sleep before work for about 6-8 hours. When I wake up:

D: a turkey on wheat sandwich with a piece of fruit or yogurt, or a bowl of cereal with 1% milk

At work I usually eat 4 oz. fish, veggies, fruit, and SF pudding.

I also drink over 64oz of water a day.

I'm 5'9", but I'm not sure how much I weigh. I'm pretty sure it's close to 200 lbs. I used to fit into 10/12/medium clothing comfortably. Now,... not so much!

I want to get to 150lbs or at least back in my size 10s. Plus I'm going on a REAL vacation this year AND have my 10 year high school reunion!

Okay, this was SUPER long! I just would like an accountibility buddy with similar stats to my own...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:23 AM   #4  

Yeah another night shift worker. I am 5'9 but weigh 229. I get my sleep in the morning about 9am then get up at 4pm. I have started a terrible habit of getting an hour nap from 9-10pm at night and want to get out of that.

I am trying to walk in the morning after I get home and the oldest gets off to school. Hubby has agreed to start walking with me so it will be easier to be motivated.

I have also started to stash Luna bars in my locker at work. They fill me up and keep me full. I do weightwatchers so they are low points and as a rn the most important thing is they can be eaten fast.

Hope we get some more people because night shifters need all the support we can get. It seems like everyone else forgets we dont function on their schedules.
Jessanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #5  

Jessanne! I'm so glad you responded! Yes, night shift-ers are a different breed! LOL! I just got back from the gym and am feeling pretty good. I stayed on plan with my eating. I'm about to eat a little breakfast before I take the doggie on a walk. Hopefully we can continue to motivate each other. Also, yeah to a fellow nurse! So you can understand my frustration when it seems like EVERY night is a potluck night at work! The doctors, hospices, patients, and families LOVE to bring goodies (cookies, cakes, candy, etc.). As soon I walk to the nurses' station, they are calling my name! LOL! Also, yeah to another tall person! Ok, I'm rambling.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #6  

Still looking for my fellow night-shifters....
Old 04-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/119

Height: 5ft2

hey there,
i also work night shifts.
i finish work at 7am and am so asleep by 8am so dont eat after work. get up about 4pm and have something like cereal. eat again before going to work uaually about 7pm. then on my first break i have fruit and yoghurt somtimes soup. i should eat again as its along time till 4pm!!!! but i find nights kinda mess up my appetite.
unfortunatley i more than make up for it when im off !!
clarelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #8  

Clarelou, something must be working for you! You've lost a ton of weight! I eat around 9am, 1pm, sleep from like 1:30pm to 8:45pm, eat at 9pm and 1am on the nights that I work. I've been going to the gym after work even though I am dead tired and work out for about 1 1/2 hours. I've been on this routine for 15 days now. Hopefully my body will start to show some improvement soon!

Last edited by sjdphc; 04-06-2009 at 12:42 PM.