Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-28-2009, 03:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default care about your (clothing) appearance in the gym as you lose weight?

There are days when I care about how I present myself in exercise clothes when I'm in the gym. Other days, I could care less-- as long as I get the job done in exercising to keep dropping pounds.

I see a variety of people in the gym... some dress like total (and I do mean total) slobs -- and has nothing to do with their weight. Others dress like it's time to shoot an exercise video (show off their ripped bodies or not, etc).

Do you guys care about how you present yourself in the gym as you lose more and more weight?

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

It's Funny when I first started gong to the Gym I could not wear clothes big enough (or so I thought) I thought that if I wore big clothes no one would see how big I really am when the reality was I looked sloppy. Now I wear clothes that fit, not to tight and not to big. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that when I was bigger I thought everyone was looking at me because I thought I was too big to be there. The gym I am at now is very comfortable I have been to one many years ago where it was like going to a singles bar the girls had on more make up and jewlery than I wear on a daily basis. My current gym is a nice mix of people.
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I could care less. I see the girls who spend $60 on a pair of gym shorts - my gym shorts come off the $5 clearance rack. My gym t-shirts are those free t-shirts you get wherever (for doing a 5k run, or giving blood, or what have you). I'm not going to spend good money on s/th I'm only going to wear to get all sweaty & gross in!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #4  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Nope, don't care. I usually wear a hoodie over my head so that I can concentrate...lol..I do wear nice sweats, not big and not tight and a tshirt, but no matter what I have to be comfortable.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Nope. I go to the gym to work out. I wear shorts and a loose T-shirt. I'd like to get some workout tights, though. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #6  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I don't really care what I look like. I'm there to get 'er done! I wear oversized capri sweats that I should probably replace because they're too big for me and a freebie t-shirt. I work out with a bunch of college kids because I work at a university and do weight training at lunchtime. Nobody's looking at me because I'm the age of their moms!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #7  
Getting healthy!

S/C/G: 275/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

The tshirt I wear to the gym is a bit too small and it hugs my muffin top. I wear it because it is my power color and I feel good wearing that color. I realized the other day that although my fat is flying, I am standing upright on the elliptical machine and getting in a good workout while another woman who is there when I am might be dressed better but is clinging to the machine for dear life (I seriously worry about her posture). I also wear the same thing almost every day. I only have one pair of "pants" that fits me so I wear them every day. And the power tshirt matches them. I refuse to spend money on exercise clothes when I plan for them to be too big in a month or so.

Just now I put on leggings and a tank top and a two-sizes too big long sleeve tshirt, but that's because it's an outside day and I'll be exercising on the hiking trail. It's sunny but not real warm yet but I wanted to be able to lose a layer if I get hot. Less likely to see people I know out there and I'm usually moving faster than they are anyways so if they do care about my clingy clothes, I'll be gone and they'll just be jealous.

It's like that Friends where Rachel and Phoebe go running and Phoebe runs crazy- she tells Rachel that it doesn't matter what people think because you are moving so fast that you'll be gone and never see them again!
enchantedonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #8  
rainy

I don't care at all, I wear those cheap tshirts and clearence pants, nothing fancy really.
And I see the girls who spend money on that stuff...honestly I prefer to buy a new pair of shoes I really like instead of buying useless clothes for the gym.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Well, I do care, but not for looks but just fit and comfort. Wearing lose clothing causes a lot of discomfort for me as the flaps of cloth rub against the skin and cause irritations. Also, I tend to sweat a lot so try to buy shirts and shorts made specifically for exercise (i.e., made from microfibers).
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #10  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I *care*, but I can't afford to buy cute workout clothes as I drop a size each time, so a lot of my exercise pants are currently hanging off me in an unflattering manner. I don't have to worry about it much because I usually work out in my sister's home gym, but I'm conscious of it when I go running outside or for a walk or whatever.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 293/248/150

Height: 5'8"

Count me in the group of people who don't care. I wear capri sweatpants and an old tshirt that had been downgraded to pajama top.
Lachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Well, I don't go to the gym but I don't care how I appear when I work out. I want comfort first--which is usually form fitting bottoms and tops. I never skimp on workout bras or my good running shoes.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #13  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

I'm with TBG; a good sports bra and running shoes and I'm happy. I do need to wear tight fitting pants/shorts in the thigh so they don't rub

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 03-28-2009 at 10:36 AM.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #14  

I go for function, not looks. Wicks sweat, covers what needs to be covered, doesn't chafe or interfere. Lately this works out to some random wicking tee and Old Navy running shorts (cheap in both senses of the word but worth the $10).
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #15  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-Bee View Post
I could care less. I see the girls who spend $60 on a pair of gym shorts - my gym shorts come off the $5 clearance rack. My gym t-shirts are those free t-shirts you get wherever (for doing a 5k run, or giving blood, or what have you). I'm not going to spend good money on s/th I'm only going to wear to get all sweaty & gross in!
I definitely care what I look like or what I wear, but I don't obsess about it. And while I would not spend $60 on a pair of shorts either, every time I am at Winners I check what's available in the workout section. It doesn't cost that much to get a nice tank top (usually it's between $20-$25) and I like to have a selection because I sweat a lot so I never wear the same one twice. I think it is more fun to go to the gym in a nice outfit, that fits me and shows off my body - I worked very hard to get where I am.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote