Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

Default Who still likes chocolates after Gastric Bypass?

I thought that after gastric bypass, I would not even like chocolate anymore.... what gives? I had a tiny piece of my husbands kit kat this evening for desert, followed by a small rectangle of a hershey bar... I tried to make myself think that I did not like it, but I did... what do i do now? Is it okay? that i had that little taste? I mean, not like i had a candy bar all to myself like normal before gastric bypass... I only had a smidgen.... all opinions welcome.... please tell me I did not mess up too bad.....

Also - Any smokers out there after gastric bypass? I have started smoking again,,, I have a about 2 in a day...

Last edited by xbubloox; 03-26-2009 at 01:15 AM.
xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #2  

Smoking is bad for your health. Why did you start again? Even 2 a day is too many. The risks are real.

Gastric bypass is not the magic bullet that will stop our love of chocolate - or any other food - unfortunately. That has to come from us following our food plan. I don't think a single smidgeon was too bad, but I wouldn't make it a daily treat.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #3  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Why push yourself, just follow the rules from the doctor, if you really want this to work fully, you will follow the doctors orders.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I wouldn't push it not this soon out that's a recipe for screwing up badly!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #5  

Yes - I see my errors.. I will NOT smoke at all, not even 1 cig. And I told my husband that he could not smoke in the house anymore, and to go outside. I created him a comfy smoking area in the backyard. And I will not have another piece of chocolate. I will stick to the rules. Sorry, I am sucha bad group member... the bad one...
Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #6  

my weight has stalled BTW... when will it move again..?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

We're all part of the group theres no good or bad. Its just about taking care of yourself and your pouch. You want to give yourself the best situation to lose the weight and to keep it off. . .You can probably lose eating crap but you will get sick and it will not stay off. give yourself the best jumping off point for new habits!
:hugs:
and no self disparaging!
Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #8  

No cigs for me...my husband will not smoke around me anymore. and all junk has been removed from my home. I am sticking with half cup meals. apple sauce, cottage cheese, broth, cream soups... curds. I wont set myself up for disaster. I want to make it, and you are the ones who have really helped me. Thank you so much!
Old 03-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

What kidn of vitamins do they have you on?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #10  

I take everything - iron, B-12, Multi, calcium, omega 3, flaxseed, extra vit E, I take all of it. and prilosec for acid

Last edited by xbubloox; 03-26-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Good Girl! Now about that chocolate question...."Does a bear crap in the woods?" Heck yes. If my grandkids eat chocolate, I can smell it when they talk with me. My chocolate fix comes from Big Lots store. I found NutiSystem hot chocolate packets for $.50 each and I bring them home and doctor them up.

Calories - 80
Fat - 1g
Carbs - 7
Sugars - 3
Protein - 12 g

I mix them up before I heat them because they clump. Don't heat past 130 degrees and I add SF White Chocolate syrup and enjoy the heck out of them.

I did try a piece of homemade Chocolate Toffee Candy from the Amish store and got the worst belly ache.....serves me right! LOL! Has sugar, butter, corn syrup, WATER, peanuts, chocolate......well I guess I got some of my water in!

I'm always on the hunt for low-carb, ff fudge brownies that don't have mushed up beans in them (that is another whole story). Haven't found one yet that we can tolerate. Some tasted so bad, would be better to just eat the picture of them on front of the box!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

bu, honey. you are NOT a bad group member - you're only trying to figure out how to live with your surgery.

good job on the cig issue!!!! really and truly!!!!!

now- about that chocolate. i had a meltdown in my surgeon's office because i'd eaten two peanut M&M's a couple of days earlier, and was CONVINCED that i was doomed. he said, 'two bags?' i said, 'no, two peanuts.' he rolled his eyes and asked me if i'd enjoyed them [i said YES, of course!]. and then he said: WLS is NOT about punishment. it's about control, and most especially portion control

as long as the TWO PEANUTS didn't escalate into TWO HANDFULS, i'd be fine.

BUT [and there's ALWAYS a but!!!] the issue is the NUMBER OF CARBS YOU CAN EAT BEFORE YOU GET DUMPING SYNDROME. trust me - it's like NOTHING you've ever felt - it's worse than something getting stuck.

the rule of thumb is 15 grams of carbs at a sitting will probably not get you into trouble. but more than that is inviting disaster.

sooooo, before you put that chocolate in your mouth, read the labels. ask yourself if you've hit 15 grams of carbs already in your meal. ask yourself if this brief taste is worth it.

and then move to BETTER QUALITY CHOCOLATE than a kitkat. bottom line, IMO, if i'm gonna eat chocolate, i want as much of that wonderful chocolate taste as i can get, for the same number of carbs.

this is all just my two cents [but can you tell that i LOVE chocolate??? there was a time after the surgery - it lasted several months - when chocolate tasted gross - but it passed. drat!!!!!]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #13  
Old Cackler

and about that stall -

there can be a couple of reasons for it - including the fact that our bodies often take a rest after losing some weight.

other reasons: not enough water or protein. not enough exercise. too many carbs. which brings me to the real reason i posted this note.

your food list has cream soups and applesauce on it. read the labels. look at the amount you're eating. i suspect [and it's only a suspicion] you might be eating more carbs than you realize. trust me, it's not the end of the world, but as with anything, there are consequences!!! like stalled weight loss.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote