Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Miracle Noodles

Has anyone tried these yet? They are advertised on here.

I'm not a big Italian pasta fan. I love Asian pasta. Go figure. Maybe it is because the Asian's properly cook their pasta until it is done.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #2  
it's always something

I didn't click the ad, but I'll tell you that we didn't intentionally advertise them. They are coming through the ad provider without a filter for the moment and I can't control them.

But from the ad, I'm guessing they are the tofu noodles found in many healthfood stores and natural supermarkets and are cheap (probably unlike whatever is behind that ad). I think the name is Shirataki. Search that word and you'll find a lot of posts. They have mixed reviews. Some love them, but I think most find them pretty gross.

Hope that helps
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I clicked on some ad the other day and it made it look like it was invented by someone right here in my own town. I bet there was something to it--like no matter where you clicked from the lady would have been from your own hometown..

I don't know anything about miracle noodles..I do love Rice Stick noodles though..I cannot imagine real noodles being low carb/low cal or whatever though
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Hmmm. I think I'll look in my store for shirataki noodles.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #5  

cbmare,

I just went on Google and looked through a few reviews...lots of thumbs up on these things..supposedly not a lot of taste--they sort of absorb whatever you put with them--like rice noodles..I guess there are different varieties but the angel hair seemed pretty popular..I think I am going to look on Ebay for them..thanks for the idea..

one lady had made them with a little sesame oil, ginger paste, broth and veggies and fresh herbs..sounded yummy

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-25-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like kelp noodles more than shirataki. Although I see shirataki noodles a lot in places like Whole Foods. Asian grocers often have them too.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #7  

okay nelie, I looked those up and they look good too..you have to tell me where to get them..for 6 calories, I will try anything

I am going to the asian store on sunday to get ther shirataki..extremely low cal too..it says they come packed in fluid already...are they all packed this way?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #8  
Just Me

they are packed in fluid, you need to rinse the fluid. I think shirataki noodles fluid have more of an odor but it can be rinsed off. shirataki noodles need to be dry as well or flavorings don't stick as well. I haven't had an issue with the kelp noodles though. Some Whole Foods carry kelp noodles but I ordered them online.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #9  

If you mean those tofu noodles sold in a bag of water, the miracle is that anybody can get them down without gagging.....IMO!! Between the skanky smell and slimy texture those things push my gag reflex HARD. Hungry Girl is always pushing them so I assume some people like them but yikes.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I bought some mail order shirataki noodles yesterday (I was inspired by the ad, but I ended up ordering them from a different company).

Before I bought them, I searched for info here on 3FC as well as the web. A few folks on 3fc didn't like the (fishy?) smell (which most folks said could be rinsed away). A few folks didn't like the texture which they described as rubbery.

Despite that, lots of folks did like them and I am hoping I will like them with spicy chili or tomato sauce on them, but if not, I do like fish so they would probably work in a seafood soup.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #11  

yoyoma..you sound like you have the right idea..I don't plan to eat them plain..instead, I will use them in recipes like soups and stirfry...I am not ordering the "Miracle Noodles" or whatever..I should be able to find these without problem at the plethora of Asian shops around me..
Old 03-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #12  
Just Me

Oh and one note if you are trying to find them in the stores, shirataki noodles are generally in the refrigerated section. I see them at Whole Foods near the tofu. Kelp noodles can go either way but I haven't seen them in the store yet.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #13  

Went to WF today to have a look. I even asked. We checked the asian aisle and the refrigerated pasta area. No luck. Maybe WF carry different products region to region. I am going to look at a big Asian store on Sunday.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #14  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

I tried them and HATED them! They have no flavor but the texture is just horrible! I had to throw them out. More power to anyone who can eat those things.

The worst part, even after the texture shock was what happened the next day...BMs were VERY interesting [and scary] - since I couldn't chew the noodles, they came out whole - looked like worms! Yikes!
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #15  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I love the Shirataki Tofu noodles that I got the other day- I've made 3 stir fries since then and the family loves the noodles with it. The noodles I got were 20 calories and 3 carbs per serving, 2 of those carbs were dietary fiber.

No one in the family noticed the difference in taste or texture, they reminded us all of Ramen noodles from the soup mixes. That's what they all thought they were eating, and I didn't let them know until the end of the meal that they were 340 calories less than the Ramen noodles that they eat with their soup packets.

I'm so glad that I found this topic, as now I can make stir fry more often as I always eat them with either rice or noodles, but both are very high in calories. It's wonderful to be able to eat something low in calories that doesn't drastically change the taste of the food. Oh, and I found them in the organic refrigerator section of the store.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote