South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Cravings

Day 4 and I have some cravings for sweets and carbs. Nuts were a problem for me today. I had a small handful and wanted more and more. I probably had a half cup of ntus today total, a few here and a few there, cashews and peanuts. I feel like I ate too much today because of the cravings. It was a lot more (light) cheese than I usually eat, and some light cottage cheese and sugar free jello. Meals were ok, I just wanted to snack ALL DAY. When will the cravings GO away?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #2  

I totally relate to you and have days like that too. It is ok. Do not beat yourself up. You will do better but it is my experience that this thing is not a straight line and there is no finish line. On any given day you just do the best you can. No big deal. You are making progress.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #3  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

you may not be tolerant of artificial sweetners- they cause cravings for many... are you eating much more artificial sweetner than is in the jello? sodas, etc?

also, are you eating your protiens? beans?

if you could post a couple days menus that would be helpful!

Last edited by rdw1; 03-22-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #4  

rdw,

the only artificial sweeteners is in the jello. I don't drink any sodas and don't use splenda. Here is yesterday's menu:

Breakfast: 2 eggs over easy cooked in Pam, 1 low fat turkey sausage, steamed fresh asparagus, green tea.
Lunch: cauliflower mashed with a little light canola butter and a bit of light sour cream. Serving of the BBQ beans made with onions, peppers, tomato sauce (no sugar), pinto/kidney/black beans, and leftover lean steak.
Snacks: I had about 10 peanuts, 20 pistachios, a low fat string cheese, 2 slices of deli virginia baked ham, a slice of deli roasted turkey breast, a bit of mustard, about 3/4 c of low fat cottage cheese with a sugar-free jello mixed into it.
Dinner: I made chicken nuggets by cubing chicken breast, dipping in egg beaters, rolling in seasoned parmesan cheese and baking. Large helping of steamed broccoli with 1/2 wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese melted in. Sugar free jello cup.
Evening snack: cup of herbal tea with about 1/3 c nonfat milk in it.

And today:
Breakfast: egg beaters/asparagus/mushrooms/bit of ham/light mozzarella, green tea (plain)
Lunch: 2/3 c mixed beans (black, kidney, pinto) with tomato sauce (no sugar), peppers, onions, garlic, and 2 oz cubed leftover lean steak, and a salad 1 1/2 c romaine, baby spinach with mushrooms, green olives (4), 6 homemade chicken nuggets ("breaded" in parmesan, no actual bread crumbs), with 1T blue cheese and balsamic vinegar.
Snacks: small handful of peanuts, small handful of cashews, 3/4 c light cottage cheese + sf jello, few more nuts, string cheese, plain green tea, half of a large dill pickle, a few more nuts...
Early Dinner before 5 because I wanted to eat: "pizza" casserole... no-sugar-added pizza sauce topped with mushrooms, onions, black olives, turkey pepperonis, and light mozzarella, with some egg beaters poured over top and baked. About 2c total of food in this pizza casserole and I ate the whole thing.
I also had 1T of fish oil which is sweetened with xylitol just now. I stared in the cabinet earlier at the granola bars (for the kids) and had to talk myself out of them. ANd then I wanted DQ blizzard so bad. I didnt cave in but boy did I want to. I walked a mile today and yesterday and drank a good 8-10c of water as well.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Lyn2007; 03-22-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #5  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Looks like you are doing well... in P1 as long as you are eating the right foods, the diets says to eat when you are hungry! I would just make sure you aren't thirsty instead of hungry(this coming from someone who does that a lot!) Just keep oin keeping on- I am sure its different for everyone, I lose my cravings about day 4 so maybe tomorrow you won't be as hungry

But, your menu looks good to me... the only thing I would suggest is a couple more cups of veggies... and when you get ready for p2 I have a great fake "blizzard" recipe!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lyn, you may take 4 days to get rid of cravings. It usually takes between 3 and 5 days. I'm a 3 day person and on day 3, I'm a raving lunatic! I feel like it's as if my body realizes it's running out of sugar stores and I won't replace them and it starts freaking out. If I wait through it and don't give in, though, I'm happy as a clam on day 4. So, hopefully today you're feeling like that and know that day 4 is your hard day in the future. Good for you on staying away from the blizzard!

As for the parmesan (great idea for the chicken "nuggets," btw), are you sure that it's just parmesan cheese and seasonings? If it's a processed version (like Kraft), it may have sugar or other things in it that set off cravings. Check that out, just in case, okay?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #7  

Laurie, thanks. I will check the Parmesan. It is Kraft in the container (powder stuff) but I never thought to check it! Will do.

In fact, I am down another pound today. Whew. After snacking like crazy I finally just went and rode my exercise bike 30 minutes, had some tea, and went on to bed. Now I am so glad I did that! I feel much better so far today.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:11 AM   #8  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
Lyn, you may take 4 days to get rid of cravings. It usually takes between 3 and 5 days.
When I started dieting, my foods had been so starch-heavy that it took me close to 2 weeks to fully adjust...the first week was awful!!! I think the adjustment period depends upon what your pre-diet food was like. The more starches, sugars, salt, processed stuff, the bigger the adjustment.

Lyn, your menus look really good...hang in there and your body will get used to its new foods. And it will be happy.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #9  

Hey guys! Just an update. Yesterday I had no cravings until after dinner and then I wanted dessert SO BAD. I just went to bed.

Today, no cravings. I think I am good. We'll see
Old 03-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hooray Lyn! You are doing so great!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/142/128

Height: 5' 3"

Good for you Lyn, I know that ricotta cheese sets my into wanting more sweets!! So I can't eat the ricotta desserts everyone raves about!!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #12  

Today was Day 7. No cravings whatsoever. I have mostly stopped thinking about food at all until I get hungry. Great!

Todays menu:
Breakfast: 1 egg fried in Pam, 2 Morningstar Farms soy sausage links, chai tea with skim milk & 1 tsp agave, cup of plain green tea
Snack: lowfat plain yogurt & chopped almonds (about 1 T)
Lunch: I browned about 4 oz of lean ground turkey with some salsa, italian seasonings, and fresh mushrooms and ate it in a bowl. YUMMY.
Snack: sugar free vanilla iced coffee
Snack: string cheese and another Morningstar Farms sausage link
Dinner: 1/3 can of tuna with a tsp mayo, 1/2 a dill pickle, and some "crackers" made from nuked parmesan cheese.
Snack: low fat cottage cheese with cinnamon and a T of chopped almonds.
I think I am a bit hungry. I'm gonna have some water and maybe some cottage cheese + sf jello.

I walked a mile.
From day 1, I am down 7 pounds. Happy with that!

Last edited by Lyn2007; 03-25-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lyn, sounds like you've settled into the groove! Good for you!

If you do find yourself dying for dessert, rather than going off plan, try the Peanut Butter Cup (in the recipe forum under Phase 1 desserts). It's divine! Even my DH loves it and he has no need to diet!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #14  

Thanks! One week down now (I started last Thurs) and 8 lbs gone. I am back at my ticker weight!!! I'd gotten up to 240.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #15  

Today I felt kinda lousy in the afternoon. After dinner I felt a little better but I decided to try a SF fudgesicle since they are allowed... omg, it tasted so good! I couldnt even tell it was SF! Best 40 calories all day. LOL.

I am, however, limiting myself to a maximum of *one* per day.
Closed Thread