General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Default Super Size Me!!

I just watched a documentary on Hulu.com called "Super Size Me"

Anyone on a diet and tempted to eat fast food NEEDS to see this documentary! It is funny and informative and you will never look at french fries the same ever again! LOL!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/63283/super-size-me
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

yeah, that movie always grosses me out, and scares me. Even when he was trying to eat the "better stuff" it was terrible.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

It was that movie that got me to quit eating at fast food places.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 259/259/175

Height: 5'11"

You know what's crazy though? Whenever I think about going to McDonalds, I think of the movie, then remember the guy who ate one bigMac a day and I always think "Maybe the bigMacs aren't so bad cuz that guy ate em all the time" Oh how warped thinking can get sometimes. oy!!

by the way, I usually don't end up going.
dkneec19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #5  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I had already quit fast food by the time I saw it, but yeah it is very sobering.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #6  

SORRY about having to move this! LOL!

You know I was going to put it in Chatter but the sub heading says everything thats not diet and I was thinking a LOT of dieters get tempted with Fast Food!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I just watched that other night on netflix. You know... I can't remember EVER having a Bigmac or Whopper in my entire life. I thought they were gross when I was a kid (didn't like tomatoes, mayonnaise, still don't!) and then gave up red meat completely in my teens. But I did like the chicken nuggets and fries, but it's been years since I had them from McDs or BK. Even though I don't eat fast food often, I still managed to gain weight...so it's not all the fast food chain's fault some people get fat. Maybe just more unhealthy?

Fast Food Nation had more impact on me to avoid fast food than SSM.

Last edited by ringmaster; 03-22-2009 at 11:54 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
I still managed to gain weight...so it's not all the fast food chain's fault some people get fat. Maybe just more unhealthy?

Fast Food Nation had more impact on me to avoid fast food than SSM.
Fast food joints are not the only place to get unhealthy food. I've seen plenty of high fat and unhealthy food even in so called Health Food stores.

You could get fat eating out of Trader Joes or Wholefoods if you pick the wrong stuff.

I personally know a woman who works for PETA who is all anti-meat and a self styled vegetarian and all that and she is extremely obese. She doesn't eat meat but she eats a LOT of donuts and cookies! LOL!

hmmm Fast Food Nation I heard of that documentary I may have to go find it!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
Fast food joints are not the only place to get unhealthy food. I've seen plenty of high fat and unhealthy food even in so called Health Food stores.

You could get fat eating out of Trader Joes or Wholefoods if you pick the wrong stuff.

I personally know a woman who works for PETA who is all anti-meat and a self styled vegetarian and all that and she is extremely obese. She doesn't eat meat but she eats a LOT of donuts and cookies! LOL!

hmmm Fast Food Nation I heard of that documentary I may have to go find it!

Yeah, even over eating healthy stuff can cause us to gain weight, just comes down to calories in and calories out.

Fast Food Nation gets graphic with how the animals get to the fast food places (especially at the end), just a warning!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #10  

Saw it.......still love french fries.Damn!!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #11  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I've seen both and probably stayed away from fast food places for a week.

But I haven't had McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc in almost three months. I have Chik-Fil-A every once in a while but don't feel gross after I eat it.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I haven't had fast food in 9-10 months now. You know, I don't miss it whatsoever except for the fries. A while back I thought I would get a Jamocha shake and curly fry at Arby's since they have always been my favorite. I told myself I would "work in" the calories. After looking online and realizing these two items are 1400 calories, I chose not to do it. That would be my calories for the entire day.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #13  

Fast Food Nation was originally a nonfiction book, then was made into a dramatized movie. I would recommend the book over the movie. Although the movie was OK and did a lot to highlight some of what the book discusses, it is not a documentary.

I saw Super Size Me years ago, and I still like fast food. But I'll go for a happy meal now instead of a value meal. As Spurlock says, it's about corporate AND individual responsibility. Go ahead and eat at McDonald's once a week, or once a month, or whatever, just don't feel obligated to eat the biggest meal they offer.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #14  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I watched it three years ago, and it indeed grossed me out. Unfortunately, it hasn't completely deterred me from McDo's (but then neither did actually working there...). The only good thing is that I don't go to fast-food places very often anyway, and that I never eat much when I'm there. ^^
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #15  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

the guy who eats a Big Mac every day has debilitating OCD, and if he doesn't get his Big Mac, he can't function. true story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Gorske
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote